FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Red face Dual booting Vista + Fedora 11 help - I'm worried about Vista.

I am still in the ranks of linux newb, but I am severely confused when it comes to partitioning.

I have Fedora 11 on a liveCD now. I first tried to install that on to my Acer Aspire 1 netbook alongside another distro, but that failed due to my lack of partitioning knowledge. (It needed a /root device to install in I think).

Well, I would LOVE to have Fedora 11 with Vista (on my main laptop rig - acer aspire 7520) when I go back to college next week (go hokies). But I need Vista for work with my lab applications that uses windows. Can someone please provide me a noob-proof method to install Fedora without corrupting Vista? I really need Vista, but I really enjoy linux.

Thank you for any help.

Or what do you think if I purchased a LiveUsb persistent install drive w/ F11 and just used that? I figure that is safer?

Demz Guest
    you could purchase a Flash Drive an install Linux on that

I am not sure how to partition a USB drive. In fact, not even installing an ISO on usb...I always use a liceCD. Do you think I could possible make a persistent install on a USB or SD card?

Demz Guest

When I bought this Toshiba laptop 2 years ago I used Windows' DisK Management tool to shrink the Vista partition and create an unformatted partition in the new space onto which I installed Fedora. Worked like a charm. You can do the same. First steps are to back up the system and also create a restore disk if one didn't come with the computer.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Yeah, one didn't come with a restore disk. My main HD has about 50GB of data on it. How am I to back that up?! Is there a way to backup Vista, in case it becomes unbootable, I could just reinstall the OS?

Make a restore disk. There's usually a handy desktop icon just for that purpose.

Back up the 50GB of data to a nice USB desktop drive. Better than losing it forever.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

It's mentioned in that page in a few places but to make it clear, there's also a Windows version of
    the liveusb-creator tool. So all you'd need is the Windows liveusb-creator tool, a big enough usb flash drive, and a Fedora iso file
    if you only had a windows PC available to make your key drive.

I do only have a windows. well I have Linux Mint on my netbook. But after using F11...wow, lol, they're both really great, but F11 I like a bit more. I'll probably try on windows. Could I use an SD card instead? I have a 4GB SDmini with a converter on it (it looks like a normal SD card).