Acer eRecovery support, and NBF file support for linux
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question Acer eRecovery support, and NBF file support for linux

i recently had a pretty vicious virus take apart windows vista and all ms products et al; i used fedora live to wipe it out, and installed fedora on the harddrive. i have backup disks i created with acer eRecovery, and i want to restore my music and pictures. i refuse to go back to a ms os. i haven't had to screw around in ms dos for 20 years, and i got further into the system than the techs in india. i am new to linux, but i am already impressed with it's functionality and security conscious set up. also, please don't ask me why, i guess i'm just a glutton for punishment, but i want to be able to chat on aol. does anyone know what i have to do (besides get linux root book) to download aol? i never really thought about it, but aol's download initiator program has very virus like behavior. as soon as it landed on my desktop it executed and tried to run the aol d/l. fedora zipped the exe file, and said it tried an unauthorized action? said there was an error. i don't know if anyone has really used this program to kill a virus, but it sure worked for me. i went through killdisk, hdderase, guru hd eraser, diskwipe, everything you can think of. it got into the harddrive's firmware and mbr. nothing neutralized it but fedora. my hat is off to the person or persons who created an os that will run from a dvd. in 85 or 86 i bought a commodore 64. i toyed with the idea of a solid state hdd and an os that would work with it. when the flashdrives came out i knew it was gonna happen. i built my first box in 1991. ms dos, dx2 486, 78 mhz, 4mb ram on 4 cards, dual one gig hdds. i wish i had learned more and gotten involved with linux sooner. i feel like when i bought my first computer with windows 95. i swear i used dos more than my mouse. i am thinking tutorials or quick help guides are in order.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeestyle
    i recently had a pretty vicious virus take apart windows vista and all ms products et al; i used fedora live to wipe it out, and installed fedora on the harddrive. i have backup disks i created with acer eRecovery, and i want to restore my music and pictures. i refuse to go back to a ms os. i haven't had to screw around in ms dos for 20 years, and i got further into the system than the techs in india. i am new to linux, but i am already impressed with it's functionality and security conscious set up. also, please don't ask me why, i guess i'm just a glutton for punishment, but i want to be able to chat on aol. does anyone know what i have to do (besides get linux root book) to download aol? i never really thought about it, but aol's download initiator program has very virus like behavior. as soon as it landed on my desktop it executed and tried to run the aol d/l. fedora zipped the exe file, and said it tried an unauthorized action? said there was an error. i don't know if anyone has really used this program to kill a virus, but it sure worked for me. i went through killdisk, hdderase, guru hd eraser, diskwipe, everything you can think of. it got into the harddrive's firmware and mbr. nothing neutralized it but fedora. my hat is off to the person or persons who created an os that will run from a dvd. in 85 or 86 i bought a commodore 64. i toyed with the idea of a solid state hdd and an os that would work with it. when the flashdrives came out i knew it was gonna happen. i built my first box in 1991. ms dos, dx2 486, 78 mhz, 4mb ram on 4 cards, dual one gig hdds. i wish i had learned more and gotten involved with linux sooner. i feel like when i bought my first computer with windows 95. i swear i used dos more than my mouse. i am thinking tutorials or quick help guides are in order.
    First, if you don't know, .exe is not native on linux and pretty much the only way to run it is

1. If it's microshaft binary, wine.
    2. If it's .NET binary, mono.

But that would a wine case.

Second, the instant messenger Pidgin works like a champ if you're a GUI person.

If I didn't get your message properly, I apologize beforehand, but yeah.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 CPU (2.66 GHz)
    3gb RAM
    500GB HD
    Debian Lenny x86_64 & Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Superclocked - Fattypack

Second(Server) PC:
    512mb RAM
    80gb TiVO HD(Lololol, took it from TiVO, old one broke)
    PC-BSD 7.1.1 x86
    Ossom router decked out with DD-WRT as a bridge providing net
    Sign the Online Petition to bring Crysis 2 to Linux/Mac!