Totally 3 Dimensional Desktop ScreenShots :D - Page 3
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    jon1012 Guest
    lol
    So, you have to edit your .xinitrc to add the Xwnc in it (before everything else), because Xwnc launches itself on top of an X display...
    The -ac permits the connection to everybody (good for testing... you can add auth rules later), because before that nobody can connect to the server typically...
    Also... you shpuld do a sudo before each command (and put your user as a sudoers for all without password...(to be simple also...)), as I said before there is permissions issues...
    Oh also, remember, in your menu entry, put "sudo -u user command" where you replace user by your normal (non-s.u.) user and the command by the location of your script
    Last edited by jon1012; 22nd September 2004 at 04:42 AM. Reason: typing error

ongardie Guest
    Xwnc has to be started on top of an already running X server? i've always started it before X hehe.

Oh also, remember, in your menu entry, put "sudo -u user command" where you replace user by your normal (non-s.u.) user and the command by the location of your script.
    I still don't understand what you mean by this, starting with 'menu entry'. In any case though, it's getting late and I still have work to do for school so I'm not going to be able to play with this anymore until 20:30 GMT tomorrow. At that point I will keep trying and maybe you'll have completed your tutorial or at least a beta version?

Thanks for your help and good night,
    -ongardie

PS: watching the tattoo-mirror scene of Momento with metisse is so cool cause you can just flip it around according to which tattoo you want to read :P

JavaLover Guest
    thanks for doing this Jon.
    BTW French chicks pwn!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can this sort of thing be done with Fluxbox? I hope so because it would probably look so sweet! Poor M$ so far behind already, they want people to wait till what is for all intents and purposes 2007 for this; and we all know that it will be a real resource hogging #######! Then of course the poor consumer who gets longhorn when it comes out (let's be fair and say they were upgrading from 2k.) will have his system almost invariably explode when they try to tack on the Winfs system to their already existing ntfs setup and try to categorize everything (just imagine the category for OSS..it will probably go in the "prohibited" category.) I for one will wait till the version of longhorn that integrates Winfs into the system right out of the box is released....Why do french chicks own? [Shadow Skill is curious...]
    Ware wa mutekinari.
    Wa ga kage waza ni kanau mono nashi.
    Wa ga ichigeki wa mutekinari.

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.

imdeemvp Guest
    shadow skill that good be cool.....dont you think?

off topic i downloade xfce4 and its pretty cool too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have xfce installed as well but I love Flux's transparency and themes....I just wish I could get the icons to work in the event I ever actually wanted to use them...maybe the next release will have icon setting native.
    Ware wa mutekinari.

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.

imdeemvp Guest
    the thing about fluxbox is too hardcore for me and i dont have much time to mess with it....with xfce it wasnt too hard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's because Fbdesk doesn't work [for me anyway.] I will have to go and find something else that might work with flux. I really only might need an icon for totem and xmms...What I need at the moment is a dockaap to display the date and time...its alittle too difficult for me to read. Xfce is very nice but that middle bar the way its setup is just dumb, its too big and makes for wierd window maximization (The default setting for Flux is about the same only its alot smaller, when you turn on antialiasing.) I probably will use Xfce more on my laptop since gnome is kind of slow to start. Besides the way the mouse is set up its just not a good idea to use a WM like Flux or E for that matter. If you think Flux is bad try E its just plain wierd...
    Ware wa mutekinari.

jon1012 Guest

Wink Almost done my friends ! ;)

So....
    I've done some testing... And I've found that it work perfectly well also with kde...
    With xfce I have some problems: the task bar in the top of the screen don't show, but the rest works well
    I've found all my answers... So I am finishing the turorial... Almost done !
    Last edited by jon1012; 22nd September 2004 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typing error

JavaLover Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jon1012
    So....
    I've done some testing... And I've found that it work perfectly well also with kde...
    With xfce I have some problems: the task bar in the top of the screen don't show, but the rest works well
    I've found all my answers... So I am finishing the turorial... Almost done !
    Sweet!!!!!

ongardie Guest
    Excellent, I seriously can't wait until I see this tutorial :P
    Mmmm...what to do what to do what to do

JavaLover Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ongardie
    Excellent, I seriously can't wait until I see this tutorial :P
    Mmmm...what to do what to do what to do
    Im playing Star Wars Battlefront while i wait :-D fun a$$ game

jon1012 Guest
    one or two things left and I publish it
    (in fact, I have to package the files and upload them to my server )
    Last edited by jon1012; 22nd September 2004 at 11:50 PM. Reason: status change

JavaLover Guest
    Are you packaging the required files? Just curious, be easier for you to just give a url. And easier on your server

jon1012 Guest

Arrow The tutorial to have a 3d Desktop ! :p

Here is my tutorial to use a 3d desktop ! (be indulgent, it's my first )

• So, first you have to make sure that your display have 3d acceleration... and that it is in 24 bit colors... (works better )
    • Then, you have to make your user a sudoer wihout password for all the files (the easiest way to do ) :
      Assuming your username is "jon" here is the line to add to the /etc/sudoers file :
      Code:
      jon     ALL=(ALL)       NOPASSWD: ALL
    • Next, download the nucleo stuff at this url: http://insitu.lri.fr/~chapuis/softwa...040721.tar.bz2
      then open a console in the folder you downloaded it and type :
      Code:
      tar jxvf nucleo-0.1-20040721.tar.bz2
      cd nucleo-0.1
      ./configure --prefix=/usr
      make
      sudo make install
    • Then, download the Metisse stuff from http://insitu.lri.fr/~chapuis/softwa...-0.3.3.tar.bz2
      Then open a console in the folder you downloaded it and type :
      Code:
      tar jxvf metisse-0.3.3.tar.bz2
      cd metisse-0.3.3
      ./configure --prefix=/usr          #(and if you want --enable-glx-x86)
      make
      sudo make install
    • Now, the special step
      Open a terminal in your home folder and type :
      Code:
      mkdir .fvwm-metisse
      cd .fvwm-metisse
      wget http://www.jondesign.net/linux/syste...au3d-en.tar.gz
      tar zxvf bureau3d-en.tar.gz
      sed -e 's/jon/user/g' appli_temp > applications   #(replace user with your normal username (non-root))
    • Hey we're almost done

Put this text into you ~/.Xclients an ~/.Xclients-default files :
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession 3d
      (don't forget to make these files executables)

Put this text in the file /usr/bin/3d-session (replacing 1280x1024 by your screen size):
      Code:
      #!/bin/sh
      export __GL_FSAA_MODE=6                 # Put this only if you want antialiasing and if you have an NVIDIA card
      export __GL_DEFAULT_LOG_ANISO=3          # Put this only if you want anisotropic stuff and if you have an NVIDIA card
      Xwnc -ac -geometry 1280x1024 :1 &
      sudo metisse-start-fvwm -- -np
      now do:
      Code:
      chmod +x /usr/bin/3d-session
      to make it an executable

Open the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession, and just after this passage :
      Code:
          gnome)
             exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT gnome-session"
             ;;
      Add:
      Code:
          3d)
             exec -l $SHELL -c "$SSHAGENT 3d-session"
             ;;
    • Now... time for reality

Log Off...

Left-click on the screen...
      Choose Ametista Config => Window Themes > Qnx...

Left-Click on the screen again...
      Choose Programs => Entire Gnome Session...

• And hopefully... Voilŗ !

Oh, also... Don't redistribute it without my permission... (I am very happy to help, but just ask me before )...

I am working on an installer now... console-based at first, and then graphic (using C/Gtk)
    Last edited by jon1012; 23rd September 2004 at 12:33 AM. Reason: just a little bug...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast