F11 Boot Failure with Blinking Cursor and Message with Readahead In It
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question F11 Boot Failure with Blinking Cursor and Message with Readahead In It

I shutdown my MacBook 5,1 last night only to find this morning that it won't boot. I first received a fairly lengthy technical message (which I share what I wrote below) but after my second attempt at booting, the message was gone but it was still the same problem with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner and nothing else. When I hit the power button, it shows all of the kernel messages booting down like "Stopping Bluetooth Services [OK]".

The message went something like this:
    audit(123456789): ...
    ... subj=system_u: system_r: readahead_t: s0 res=1
    I have a fairly vanilla install. Nothing crazy and it was just installed two or three days ago with updates applied right away. I do have akmod-nividia and akmod-wl packages installed. I also have it dual booting with Mac OSX.

Any suggestions? The most information I have found online is this link here, but it wasn't much help at all. It may be suggesting a problem with Selinux?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

So, I tried disabling selinux by adding "selinux=0" to the fedora kernel line in the grub.conf file. This enabled me to get to my desktop again. I can use this as a fix, but I'd rather know that I have the security and such. Is there a better way?

D'oh!

I installed some updates which included some selinux updates and now I'm back in the same position as before. I was able to switch into a CLI mode using ctrl + alt + f1 and run dmesg. I'm not sure if this helps, but I got a message saying
    vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed:
    use vmalloc=<size> to increase size
    NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed!
    rm_init_adapter(0) failed

Looks like maybe the problem with nvidia driver from RPMFusion that's been biting others as well. Search forums, should be easy to find. Work-around posted (downgrade).

V

So, it was as simple as changing my xorg.conf file. Changing nvidia to nv in the Driver line worked.

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "nv"
    	Option	    "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    EndSection

Hi SendDerek,
    I wanted to read about your "Simple Web Server Tutorial"...But, the link doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlor
    Hi SendDerek,
    I wanted to read about your "Simple Web Server Tutorial"...But, the link doesn't work.
    Haha... oops. I'll fix that ASAP.

In the meantime, I can't get the 'nv' change to stick. It resets itself on reboot everytime. I have the akmod-nvidia package installed, I wonder if it needs to be removed. Is there a command that sets the xorg.conf in stone?

Open livna-config-display from the menus, and tell it to keep it's paws off of xorg.conf (un-check the box that allows it to edit xorg.conf).

V

Quote Originally Posted by Hlingler
    Open livna-config-display from the menus, and tell it to keep it's paws off of xorg.conf (un-check the box that allows it to edit xorg.conf).

V
    Wow... instant response. Thanks.

It wouldn't happen to be able to be controlled through the command line would it? That's all I got right now (again). I'll give it a shot.

Edit: Yup! Apparently there's a command line utility as well. This is right from the livna-config-display package site:
    If you would like to prevent the drivers from autoediting your xorg.conf any further, simply launch livna-config-display from the menu or by executing livna-config-display from a terminal and untick the option allowing livna-config-display to edit the configuration files. From this point on, the graphic driver's init service will still launched but no further modifications are made.
    Last edited by SendDerek; 20th June 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Nope. I was wrong. There's no command line tool for that one. Is there a file I should edit or another command I need to run I wonder?

Okay, I found the command line version of it.

Code:
    livna-config-display --active false
    I tried it, rebooted, and got the blinking cursor. The good news is that the xorg.conf file wasn't modified. Looks like it's back to dmesg and var logs...

Yes, but who was the last to edit xorg.conf, you or livna-config-display? What driver does it currently specify?? I'm a bit baffled as to why simply un-checking that option would result in failure of X to start.

V

It's stuck at the "nv" driver option within xorg.conf that I was mentioning earlier. I'll be taking a look at it again soon.

Huh.. well, strange. I kept having the same problem again and again. I was frustrated and changed "nv" back to "nvidia" and it's working again. Hah!

I'll keep it.

Thanks for all of your help. Who knows, I might be back here before long!

Welp, I'm back.

Very shortly after my last post, it started acting up again. It's strange though, every now and again I'll get my desktop. This is after I've played around with settings long enough. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. I'll keep searching google and the forums...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast