Palimpsest Disk Utility and Hard Drive on F11
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Palimpsest Disk Utility and Hard Drive on F11

I know this has already been brought up, but I believe mine is slightly different. Palimpsest (on the live cd, as i have not been able to install fedora 11 due to another bug) says that i have almost 600,000 bad sectors on my hard disk, but when i leave fedora and boot up windows and run chkdsk, it says my windows partition has no bad sectors, and then when i boot up ubuntu 9.04 and run fsck, it says that its partition has no bad sectors as well. I figure that once i am able to install fedora 11, i will still get this quite annoying error in the top right corner of my screen telling me my hard disk is failing. I know I could just remove the program from the start-up list, etc, but is there anyways to fix it so that it might run accurately so i know if there is an actual problem with my disk?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well don't start another thread on it then!

palimpset seems to be a complete POS, with nothing but false-positives.

Demz Guest
    its buggy as, so i wouldnt believe anything it told you.

have a look in glennzo's thread about it, there maybe anohther tool that can get you that info about your HDD's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Palimpsest bugged the crap out of me for the longest time until I saw somewhere that Bob suggested disabling disk notifications. This is done by selecting System > Preferences > Startup Applications and un-checking Disk Notifications. The next time you start Fedora 11, and from then on, you will not see the Palimpsest warning. This is not a fix, just a quick workaround.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator
    © ®

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    Palimpsest bugged the crap out of me for the longest time until I saw somewhere that Bob suggested disabling disk notifications. This is done by selecting System > Preferences > Startup Applications and un-checking Disk Notifications. The next time you start Fedora 11, and from then on, you will not see the Palimpsest warning. This is not a fix, just a quick workaround.
    This only works for the current user though. How would I do this in a script such that it doesn't start up for any user? Thanks!

Demz Guest
    i dont trust Palimpsest at all, Ubuntu9.10 it told me E Drive had bad sectors, but in Fedora, all was fine with the drive,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Palimpsest reporting fails when smartctl fails to return reliable info, which is the case for many disks, including a couple of mine. They should have waited until the reporting was at least 90% reliable before throwing in yer face failure messages all over the screen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The differences you may be seeing is that Palimpsest Disk Utility bad sector counts and such are from the SMART table attributes 5 showing the count that HAVE been re-allocated and attribute 197 that are scheduled to be re-allocated. ATA hard drives will detect bad sectors and re-allocate from a pool of spares so that the bad sector is no longer in use. Most surface scans utilities like Windoze chkdsk are looking at the sectors that are still marked as good. If you run HDTUNE under Windoze take a look at the health tab and look at the values for these two attributes.

kyryder Guest
    I like to use "smartctl" to access the SMART disk data and tools. V wrote a thread on this I believe, I found it, the thread is about GSmartControl GUI here.

Ky