F11 DVD i86_64 DVD hangs on install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F11 DVD i86_64 DVD hangs on install

I have found two problems with the DVD (checksum and media test are both OK).

1. On the Install boot loader (grub) page , if you change the name of the install from Fedora to something else, anaconda crashes, lol.

2. Worse, the installer hangs just after that .

Retrieving installation information for installation repo
    is displayed, but the system just sits doing nothing.
    If it is not broken, tweak it... If you break Fedora you get to keep both pieces :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem. I could only wait for a few minutes before I had to run home, so I wasn't sure whether it would eventually do something. But is shouldn't hang in the middle of such an install.

Btwy, things worked just fine booting with the Live CD.

I wonder if it due to the network setup or some hardware component, but gain, everything was fine when I booted with the live CD. I was able to use the browser and ssh to other machines. I did fiddle with the partitioning and I wonder whether that does something to the installer.

Any clues? I'd would like to give F11 a fair shot rahter than install F10.

PS: the machine is a DELL Precision T3400 with a brand new 500GB WD caviar (I think blue), 4GB of RAM, and an nvidia Quadro card (I forget which model).
    Last edited by av_lin; 10th June 2009 at 05:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been feeding the dvd manual overrides such as

method=hd:/dev/dr0

and the error message is misleading. It is not looking for a network connection , it is looking for information on the DVD.

The dvd is mounted at /mnt/stage2 , but anaconda will not look in either /dev/sr0 or /mnt/stage2 for the information.
    If it is not broken, tweak it... If you break Fedora you get to keep both pieces :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPS: I burned the dvd on a Windows laptop with the verify data option. Verify had given one error for a file though, but not having another dvd handy, I thought maybe the verify function doesn't work for image burning and I relied on the installer's verification of the dvd. I just burned another dvd and this time the verify function reported no errors So I am keeping my fingers crossed for another install attempt tomorrow morning.

Lessons learned: don't engage in self-denial when an app reports an error and don't burn dvd's on a Windows machine with a bunch of other stuff running!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DVD hangs at Installation Repo....

I seem to have the same problem. I'm trying the Live CD install now. What do I lose compared to the DVD?

Michael

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The live CD works on my end. The DVD will give you better package selection at installation (The live CD is "as is" if you will) .

Post installation you can customize Fedora as you wish (I do )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    installing with a reburned dvd ISO worked for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turns out I have some unusual hardware.

My DVD is /dev/sr0 not /dev/cdrom

So ...

The work around was suggested by Scott Dwodle

Boot the DVD, switch to a console (ctrl-alt-F2)

Make a link

Code:
    ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom
    Proceed with the install -> viola

Thanks dowdle

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for coming back and giving that information. I suspect it will help others in the future.
    --
    http://srobb.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NP

I filed a bug report as well :

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=505639

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new install is hanging too on "retrieving installation information". Been trying all morning to get it installed, the ln-s trick didn't work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m a Debian user coming over to Fedora 11 for the new Virtualization features.

I did not have the CDROM problem noted above, my CDROM was /dev/sr0 and the install media mounted fine and was running from /dev/sr0.

I did finally get Fedora 11 installed by just clicking through all the defaults for partitioning, software, etc. on a single SATA drive. My previous attempts were with trying to install on a RAID5 SoftRAID system with LVM. Here's what I have learned today.

The first (6) install attempts apparently failed because of the custom partitioning scheme I wanted to use. For the failed installs I was using 3 x 500GB SATA drives, RAID5 SoftRAID with LVM. The boot and root partitions were left as default file system types (/boot = ext3, / = ext4), the only difference was that I made my boot partition 500MB rather than the suggested default 200MB. The default system installed without RAID no problem.

Then I went back and installed the system how I wanted it with RAID and LVM, this time I left the root partition at 200MB and the install crashed with “unable to create /dev/sda1” installer exiting.

Finally, for my last (successful) install attempt I booted to a recovery console and manually fdisk’d the RAID partitions to my liking and created the md0 device with RAID5 (I did not create the LVM at this time). I then booted the Fedora 11 X86_64 install and proceed to install selecting “Custom Layout” for the partitioning and set the filesystem types, mount points and formatting. I was able to select my packages from all repositories and clicked [Next> to finalize… the install was “checking for dependencies” and I thought it hung up on me again, but I went to lunch, had a smoke and when I came back (30 minutes later), what appeared to have been a hung install when I left was now proceeding to complete the install!

I don’t know if my experience will help anyone, I just wanted to let others know who may have similar issues installing with custom partitioning schemes and RAID. I am assuming these issues were due to either:

1) my own impatience

2) the boot partition size being too large?

3) the 950GB degraded/unclean RAID array rebuilding itself in the background was possibly slowing the install way down.

So… 5 hours later (the last install took about 45 minutes) I finally have a working Fedora 11 Virtualization server installed with SoftRAID5 w/LVM.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to learn you were successful.

I was told they re-wrote anaconda for F11 (I am not sure, sorry) as the old code was well showing it's age.

Assuming that is the case, the old anaconda was rock solid and the new anaconda would benefit from bug reports.

May I suggest you also report your experience with anaconda ?

Sure it takes a minute to report, but it benefits many.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/