FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evolvotron rpm for Fedora now available

Hello all-

Evolvotron is a generative art graphics program that I caught wind of a little while back. There are some rpm packages for Mandriva and OpenSuSE that I've found, but none for Fedora. I originally got a debian package of evolvotron and ran it through alien, which produced a 'workable' rpm biniary.

I decided to build a proper rpm package of evolvotron for Fedora. I started with a recent build of a src.rpm package for Mandriva and twiddled with the spec file and repackaged the source tarball package until it fell into line for a successful build on my F8 system. I also included a menu icon for evolvotron which none of the other builds offered (the icon was created in evolvotron itself) and included the man pages which the Mandriva build had left out.

If you're interested in playing with this nifty graphics program, I've uploaded a tarball package containing the binary and srpm rpm's to my (*see download site links on next post) site. I excluded the debuginfo rpm as it compiled to over 7MB, yikes!.

It's compiled for i386 and should probably work just fine on versions of Fedora later than F8, but if you're so inclined, just use the src.rpm to rebuild it specifically for your own Fedora release and architecture. The majority of my compiling software packages are from the F9 repos.

The download site will require java enabled on your browser. If anyone is interested in hosting this package on another, faster, site just let me know.

package: evolvotron-0.5.1-1.fc8.tar.bz2
    contains: evolvotron-0.5.1-1.fc8.i386.rpm evolvotron-0.5.1-1.fc8.src.rpm
    md5sum: 5abe8a0e998db8c0241a522da13723d4 evolvotron-0.5.1.fc8.tar.bz2
    Code:
    Description :
    Evolvotron Interactive "generative art" software to evolve
    images/textures/patterns through an iterative process of random
    mutation and user-selection driven evolution.  If you like lava lamps,
    and still think the Mandelbrot set is cool, this could be the software
    for you.
    EDIT: refined the spec file to fully comply with Fedora packaging guidelines and included the "extras" in the binary pkg. Uploaded new package and md5 checksum file.

EDIT: evolvotron rpm package for F16 32 bit is now available.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 14th November 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've updated the evolvotron packages to version 0.6.1, from version 0.5.1. The new version now builds against qt4.

Note to Fedora 8 users:
    Fedora 8 users must update libstdc++ to version 4.3.0 or greater prior to installing/running the evolvotron binary package.
    You can get an updated libstdc++ package from here. Install with: # rpm --nosignature -Uvf libstc++*.rpm

Fedora 9 and later releases should work just fine with this package, regardless of the ".fc8" labeling... hey, it's "just a name".
    Edit: The rpm pkg with the ".fc8" moniker installed and ran just fine on a F12 32 bit install.

Install evolvotron with: # yum --nogpgcheck localinstall evolvotron-0.6.1-2.fc8.i386.rpm
    Provided you have properly configured and working Fedora repositories, yum will pull in any missing dependencies.

To rebuild from the src.rpm package, besides the usual compile and rpmbuild environment requirements, you'll need qt4-devel and boost-devel packages.

3cc6221de47dabc9500edec6d4466c00 evolvotron-0.6.1.fc8.tar.bz2
    evolvotron-0.6.1-2.fc8.i686.rpm
    evolvotron-0.6.1-2.fc8.src.rpm

Update: Having moved on to F12 32 bit, I've uploaded separately the binary and src rpm packages for F12. The F8 binary will install and run just fine on 32 bit Fedora systems up to and including F12. The .src.rpm pkg from the F8 build will work on F8 and F9. For F10 and above, you'll need the .src.rpm pkg from the F12 build due to changes in in the qt4 packages between F9 and F10.

Download site: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8...34c0a955f98962

And a link to the program authors (Tim Day) hosted site concerning Evolvotron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	celtic_gem.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	18239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dazzle_me.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	18240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hotairballon.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	18241  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 5th February 2012 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Evolvotron rpm for Fedora

Evolvotron rpm packages for F16 32 and 64 bit are now uploaded and available for download.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 5th February 2012 at 05:37 PM.