Yum Updates and Update manager updates differ.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Yum Updates and Update manager updates differ.

I am having discrepancies between updates available in yumex and updates available with the update manager.

For example: This AM I brought up yumex. The was an ntp update available . I installed it. Before the file even finished downloading the update manger orange sunburst icon came up on my panel with a number plymouth and other updates available. That wouldn't bug me too much but this is the fourth time I have had this same experience since the recent repository changes made during an update and it's something I did not experience previously. I am just curious as to why yumex is finding some updates and the update manager is finding others in the same timeframe. Do they not both use the same repo.d info?
    Linux User #456254

Fedora 14 desktop on:

BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ 256KB CPU * 1GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM * 160GB Serial ATA HD * 320 GB WD IDE HD * SATA2

Now that you mention it, I have noticed the same thing. However, I have no answer. Just wanted to chime in and say it is not only you.
    Perhaps I can seach later in bugzilla etc.
    I will post if I find something.
    Registered Linux User #452472

Homebuilt = athlon II x2 F23

Something similar also happens on the command line. If I run 'yum update' once, it picks up one or two packages and installs them. A subsequent run of yum picks up the rest.

The "the update manger orange sunburst" might also come up in between the runs. After finishing the updates, it doesn't always disappear again.

Two different runs of doing an update can come up with different available updates
    because when you use mirrors you can be going to different servers. Mirror hosts can be updated at different times.

I see your point, however I have never had this going on regularly. It really seems buggy.

It's Thursday AM now and I am getting the same actions. Yumex finds some updates and the update manger comes up right after it finding more. The added twists today come in the form of yumex having much difficulties connecting to mirrors but all updates it found eventually installed. Update manager can't get a good signature for one package and has dependency issues with others. I'll come back to yum hell in a few days.
    Linux User #456254

Fedora 14 desktop on:

BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ 256KB CPU * 1GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM * 160GB Serial ATA HD * 320 GB WD IDE HD * SATA2

I got some of the updates to install this morning. Now have 6 each in yumex and package updater. These are awaiting signature resolution which should fix them today, just got notification of that from bugzilla. Will watch and see about this thread's issue as they happen.

Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram