Aegisub (can somoene build an rpm? Mandriva spec file available)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aegisub (can somoene build an rpm? Mandriva spec file available)

(Not exactly a software problem)
    I want to install Aegisub but no rpm is available.
    I tried to create one, modifying Mandriva's .spec file, but I failed. I'm not a programer or even a power-user and I can't figure out who to make a rpm package on my on and since I couldn't success using Mandriva's .spec, I'm stuck using my text editor to make .ass subtitles (It wouldn't be that bad if Gedit had .ass syntax highlighting, tbh)

Can anyone build a rpm package of Aegisub for Fedora? Or contact Fedora Packagers to make one.

TiA!

PS. I don't want to install it using ./configure, make, make install like is described here

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Slow process though it is, the best way to get something like that offiically done is to file a feature request on bugzilla. You might or might not get lucky and catch someone's eye.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to build from source.

I'm changing the thread title, in the hope of catching the eye of someone with the ability and inclination.
    --
    http://srobb.net

Quote Originally Posted by scottro
    Slow process though it is, the best way to get something like that offiically done is to file a feature request on bugzilla. You might or might not get lucky and catch someone's eye.

Otherwise, you'll probably have to build from source.

I'm changing the thread title, in the hope of catching the eye of someone with the ability and inclination.
    I'm not sure how to make that request on Fedora's bugzilla. Just post it as a bug? What should I write for description?

I see that this software uses deprecated wxWidgets methods. Compiling it against wxGTK-2.8.9 (Fedora 10) fails with:

Code:
    dialog_style_editor.cpp:159: error: call of overloaded 'FloatToString(int&)' is ambiguous
    /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/utils.h:302: note: candidates are: wxChar* FloatToString(float, const wxChar*)
    utils.h:65: note:                 wxString FloatToString(double)
    dialog_style_editor.cpp:160: error: call of overloaded 'FloatToString(int&)' is ambiguous
    /usr/include/wx-2.8/wx/utils.h:302: note: candidates are: wxChar* FloatToString(float, const wxChar*)
    dialog_style_editor.cpp:161: error: call of overloaded 'FloatToString(int&)' is ambiguous
    dialog_style_editor.cpp:162: error: call of overloaded 'FloatToString(int&)' is ambiguous
    dialog_style_editor.cpp:163: error: call of overloaded 'FloatToString(int&)' is ambiguous
    make[3]: *** [aegisub_2_1-dialog_style_editor.o] Error 1
    aegisub developers need to fix this.

Otherwise, their software gets additional functionality if it is built against ffmpeg. I don't know if it should go to Fedora or RPMFusion (or another 3rd party repo). It may be possible to split the ffmpeg related parts into a freeworld package, but first, we should be able to compile the whole thing

edit: It is actually reported here: http://bugs.aegisub.net/view.php?id=819
    I hope they fix this soon.
    Last edited by ogetbilo; 6th April 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    oget, the "Pulse against"

Thnigs that rule: Angelina, TKT, Linux, Supergravity, Alcohol...

I tried to reach them via IRC to speed-up the things a little but they told me to get a non-rpm linux...

I built an RPM. Let me polish it up a little and I'll upload it somewhere.

Beware though, the software is too unstable.

OK, here are the packages I built:
    http://6mata.com:8014/aegisub/

I encourage you to test it and file the bugs that you find to the developers. I'm sure they will appreciate this.

You can even submit this to RPMFusion (or to your favorite 3rd party repo) if you want to maintain it. It just needs a few trivial fixes to become "Fedora Quality (tm)". Note that this package requires RPMFusion's ffmpeg. If you are using some other 3rd party repo, you may need to rebuild it from the SRPM, which is also provided in the above link.

The rpm installs fine and Aegisub works great and faster than on Windows (I use to use Aegisub when I was Windows user) except of one (not so) small thing. It can't load any MKV file for video preview (AVI load as it should).
    I get that msg in the terminal window just a second before the crash
    [NULL @ 0x9454a30]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
    and
    [aac @ 0x9108400]SBR not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from SVN. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not been implemented.
    [aac @ 0x9108400]SBR not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from SVN. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not been implemented.
    The first is from an Xvid MKV and the second from a x264 MKV.

FFmpeg as far as i know, is the main video decoder Linux uses.

Is just me?
    If it's not, I'll file a bug report. (though i'm not sure what to write in it)
    Last edited by demetris; 7th April 2009 at 12:35 PM.

Update:
    I found a workaround for that bug.
    If I extract the video and audio stream using the mkvextract command, Aegisub will load them correctly. So, the problem seems to be with the container format (ffmpeg's mkv demuxer?).
    Waiting for a confirmation of the bug before I report it to the developers.

Update 2:
    Aegisub works great
    I take these words back.
    It works great when no video is loaded.
    Even with the above workaround, ffmpeg/ffmpegsource will crash Aegisub when I try to seek within the video. I should have test that before I post.
    Only XVID AVI will work flawless, and nowdays nobody uses xvid avi.
    Last edited by demetris; 7th April 2009 at 05:18 PM.

I don't have a mkv file to test things, but I had problems with loading avi files as well. The developers told me that

- ffmegsource is actually a miswording. It should be named ffms2
    - use ffmpeg for audio and ffmpeg source (ffms2) for video
    - if it doesn't work, try openal as audio provider

I still couldn't get things working right. There's always a problem. If it doesn't crash, the audio lags etc. But I won't have much time to deal with this package and fix the bugs. That's why I didn't submit it to RPMFusion. Feel free to take it over from this point on.

Personally, I don't have the knowladge to take over Aegisub packaging. My skills are limited to modifying Suse or Mandriva's spec files, replacing the dependencies names. If they fail to build, I can't do anything.

I hope someone will fix it.
    I searched Aegisub's bug tracker and these bug are already reported
    http://bugs.aegisub.net/view.php?id=456
    http://bugs.aegisub.net/view.php?id=813

Seems like ffmpeg is really the problem. Is there a ffmpeg rpm repository to install the latest version, as the error msg suggests?

Phew, that's not very easy...

You will need to grab the ffmpeg SRPM from rawhide, along with its dependencies. Then build them altogether on F-10 yourself.

Here's a basic howto to write a SPEC file, in case you are interested: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...RPM-HOWTO.html
    It is really no big deal.

That's a lot of stuff to learn and I don't have much time.
    I'll install rawhide on my second PC. If this fails too, I'll install XP (on the 2nd PC of course, everything on my linux insallation works, only aegisub doesn't).

I'm Trying to build an rpm from the latest SVN version using ogetbilo's .spec and I'm getting the following error
    Code:
    In file included from ass_cache.c:37:
    ass_cache.h:38:32: error: ass_cache_template.c: Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος
    In file included from ass_cache.c:37:
    ass_cache.h:47: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.h:48: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.h:57: σφάλμα: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘bitmap_hash_key_t’
    ass_cache.h:81: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.h:82: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.c:255: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.c:265: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.c: In function ‘ass_bitmap_cache_init’:
    ass_cache.c:272: σφάλμα: ‘bitmap_hash_key_t’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    ass_cache.c:272: σφάλμα: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    ass_cache.c:272: σφάλμα: for each function it appears in.)
    ass_cache.c:275: σφάλμα: ‘bitmap_compare’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    ass_cache.c:276: σφάλμα: ‘bitmap_hash’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    ass_cache.c: At top level:
    ass_cache.c:304: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.c:314: σφάλμα: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
    ass_cache.c: In function ‘ass_glyph_cache_init’:
    ass_cache.c:321: σφάλμα: ‘glyph_hash_key_t’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    ass_cache.c:324: σφάλμα: ‘glyph_compare’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    ass_cache.c:324: σφάλμα: ‘glyph_hash’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    make[2]: *** [ass_cache.o] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/demetris/rpmbuild/BUILD/aegisub-2.1.6-dev-r2892/libass'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/demetris/rpmbuild/BUILD/aegisub-2.1.6-dev-r2892'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.2kv2Sc (%build)

RPM build errors:
        Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.2kv2Sc (%build)
    σφάλμα = error
    Δεν υπάρχει τέτοιο αρχείο ή κατάλογος = There is not such a file or directory

Any ideas?

Re: Aegisub (can somoene build an rpm? Mandriva spec file available)

i've created spec file and RPM for aegisub 2.1.8 for fedora 12 at http://mfosn.wordpress.com/2010/03/0...fedora-12-rpm/. It's not up to the standard of 'Fedora Quality', but it's working anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast