Can't add Fedora to my BCD
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Can't add Fedora to my BCD

Hello

I can't add Fedora to my BCD.

I currently have Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Fedora (+ one extra) installed.

I would like to add Fedora to my BCD, without having GRUB in my MBR.

How can I do this?

Please tell me how, as the way I have currently done so isn't working (EasyBCD, Write to MBR, Add+ Linux[GRUB] {x}-Not installed in MBR)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Panarchy

I would like to add Fedora to my BCD, without having GRUB in my MBR.

How can I do this?

Please tell me how, as the way I have currently done so isn't working (EasyBCD, Write to MBR, Add+ Linux[GRUB] {x}-Not installed in MBR)
    Hello Panarchy,

To use the Vista or Windows 7 boot loader to boot Fedora (or any Linux system), then during installation you must choose the boot loader option to install GRUB in the first sector of the boot partition (not the master boot record which is the Anaconda default). The EasyBCD instructions are clear about that. The reason is because Vista and Windows 7 boot such a system by loading and executing that boot sector code.

I guess if you installed GRUB in the MBR, then Fedora is booting directly from BIOS now. What you can do now to recover the Windows boot loader arrangement is boot into Fedora and re-install its GRUB boot loader in the first sector of its boot partition. Then restore Windows boot code to the master boot record using your Vista or Windows 7 disk.
    1. Boot Fedora, open a terminal, and...
      Code:
      su
      /sbin/grub-install /dev/sdxy
      You change x & y to the drive & partition of the Fedora boot partition. Get this part right because you can make things worse by guessing. If you need help, then post the fdisk report.

2. Reboot with the Vista disk (or Windows 7, I guess) in your optical drive and enter the Recovery Environment. Restore the master boot record...
      Code:
      bootrec.exe /FixMbr
      See more here...

Thanks

However, it was merely a BCD problem, which I fixed with NeoGRUB and Fedora's menu.lst, (which I accessed with the Parted Magic LiveCD), using EasyBCD 2 Beta (Build 60).

More info: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?p=35487

Panarchy

PS: I'm liking Fedora's KDE

The boot configuration is saved in:

-On IBM PC compatible firmware machines, it is a file named "\Boot\BCD" in the boot volume.
    -On EFI firmware machines, it is a file located in the "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD" directory on the EFI system partition.
    -On IBM PC compatible firmware machines, without a particular boot volume the BCD is saved in the file boot.ini

You can edit it with bcdedit.
    see: http://my.opera.com/Wutske/blog/2009...nstead-of-grub
    Cris