0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down How do I deal with this ?

Sorry, but this debug output still isn't very helpful. I'm closing the
    report again, but please realize that I'm not doing this out of spite (or
    something), but simply because we can't fix the problem, nor diagnose it
    correctly.

I do recommend that you ask for help in the Fedora forums, as this has the
    smell of a packaging bug.
    I just re-installed Fedora 10 as I thought I had done something wrong because none of my usual applications were behaving

these might include (but not exclusively)

Xine
    Amarok
    k3b
    Akregator
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    NetworkManager
    Pidgin

those applications that actually crashed and burned were reported as having crashed using the automated bug-reporting application, those that just locked my machine I manually searched the bugs and reported where I could, it's only now that I'm getting anything back and that is the developers of the application (in the above instance -Amarok) seem to think the problem lies with the Distribution.

I have had quite a few years of really enjoying Fedora as my main desktop/laptop operating system and have learnt that I need to do a bit of tweaking but my list of things that aren't working has grown to a stage where I don't know where to ask for help in resolving the increasing number previously excellent applications. If Open Office fails to work I may have to leave the Fedora Community forever as it seems that is no longer for users of hardware that don't mind running the very latest version of something but has become a community of guinea pigs doing testing for someone/somewhere else

Wayne Guest
    Moved to Fedora Focus... Suggestions & Feedback is for forum related comments. Problems with the release should be directed to the Fedora team. This site is privately run and has no connection to the Fedora Project and the devs rarely visit this forum.

Wayne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh.

OK I have come to accept that either Xine or PulseAudio or Alsa won't let me play a video file in Fedora 10

Why would I get "segmentation fault' for just about everything I try and run from a terminal ?

$ vlc
    VLC media player 0.9.8a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.8a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu' '--target=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix=' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr' '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc' '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include' '--libdir=/usr/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec' '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/usr/com' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--disable-rpath' '--enable-release' '--with-tuning=no' '--enable-switcher' '--enable-shout' '--enable-live555' '--enable-opencv' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-gnomevfs' '--enable-cddax' '--enable-faad' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-real' '--enable-realrtsp' '--enable-flac' '--enable-tremor' '--enable-speex' '--enable-tarkin' '--enable-theora' '--enable-svg' '--enable-snapshot' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-xvmc' '--enable-directfb' '--enable-aa' '--enable-caca' '--enable-jack' '--enable-portaudio' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-xosd' '--enable-fbosd' '--enable-galaktos' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-loader' '--enable-mozilla' 'build_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i686-pc-linux-gnu' 'target_alias=i386-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [00000491] pulse audio output: No. of Audio Channels: 2
    QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 1
    Segmentation fault
    VLC was installed via yum

Is there something going on with the Fedora RPMs that should be discussed because a machine that has 4gb of RAM and a graphics card with 512mb of RAM for it's exclusive use even if it's running older versions of the drivers should be able to deliver some graphic output

I now dare not try and play Aisle Riot Solitaire lest it place too much strain on this year-old machine

(I took Vista off this machine, I didn't expect that Fedora 10 was making it attractive to re-install it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.

It doesn't sound like you're having such a warm fuzzy experience with F10. Just for the giggles of it, have you tried the Mint 6.0 Live CD as compared to the 5.0 live CD -- or the latest PCLOS? I have a motherboard based soundcard in another desktop machine (nvidia chipsets) which just plain won't play well with Pulse Audio. No amount of fiddling has made any difference. It hasn't de-stabilized the OSes I've tested on it, but it's also obvious that machine is just a good candidate for a PCI sound card in an expansion slot.

That being said, it looks like you're approaching the point of dimiinishing returns, and may want to keep that Vista install CD where you can easily reach it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LiveCd's. and plenty of them. Just to see if this is isolated to Fedora. Try to choose a later release with at least the kernel version of 2.6.27.

Was a previous version of Fedora running on this machine before the F10 install?
    Assuming the mention of Vista shows up in this forum on only pre-built machines sold by a vendor. heheh, What is the make and model of this machine?
    Have you done any hardware upgrades?
    Can we get a link to your smolt profile?
    After installation were you able to complete an yum update?

Some of these answers may help other users further down the line...
    Last edited by shess01; 7th February 2009 at 02:03 PM.
    ...What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boot to runlevel 3 and get your network up. Then do a yum update

If you have already tried that - then do what everyone else has suggested and try some live CDs.