Upgrade FC1->FC2 and cyrus-imapd
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    _PepeR_ Guest

Upgrade FC1->FC2 and cyrus-imapd

Hi,
    I just upgraded my machine from FC1 to FC2 and got big problem. Imapd from FC1 was repleaced by cyrus-imapd. But it's not working :( Cyrus-sasld athenticates users with success but users can't see their mailboxes. How should I easy migrate from imapd to cyrus-imapd ? I want /var/spool/mail mailboxes to be visible and local account ~/mail folder with users mail folders.
    Thanks for help.

Peter,

jeru Guest
    Let me know how this is going..... I'm in the same perdicament... Seems like it's authenticating just fine, but doesn't know where the INBOX is.

jeru Guest
    actually, I tried dovecot that came with fedora and it seemed to get the job done a lot easier..... I'm not sure about cyrus....

wizard Guest
    Originally posted by jeru
    Let me know how this is going..... I'm in the same perdicament... Seems like it's authenticating just fine, but doesn't know where the INBOX is.
    Same here - I host my own domain and mail has been down for three days.

dave-tx Guest
    Originally posted by wizard
    Same here - I host my own domain and mail has been down for three days.
    Again, here's a "Me too"... my solution was to install the dovecot package. Like another user said, it worked right out of the box.

Anyone know why the Fedora team chose cyrus as the default over dovecot?

wizard Guest
    dovecot didn't work for me either. I ended up forcing clean installs of sendmail and cyrus (and why the cyrus utilities weren't part of the upgrade is beyond me - I got them with apt).

Then, I emptied out local-host-names and set up a mailertable like this -

Code:
    domain.com          cyrusv2:domain.com
    and ran

makemap hash mailertable.db < mailertable

to create the database.

Now all I have to do is migrate three days' worth of mail to cyrus mailboxes - which is gonna be a good trick, since a few utilities are missing from the Fedora distribution. I managed to find a copy of mboxtocyrus but it's complaining that /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver is missing - and I haven't found a copy yet.

If anyone has one, mailing it to wizard@pointbeing.com would be kind of a spiffy thing to do

thanks - and good luck to y'all. Almost everything worked fine out of the box, but the FC1 --> FC2 upgrade really blew chunks mailwise

cheers -

wizard Guest
    by God, I think I've got it

In the Fedora distribution there is no /usr/sbin/cyrdeliver - the executable is /usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver

All I had to do was change the CYRDELIVER variable in mboxtocyrus, put the script in /var/spool/mail and run

./mboxtocyrus <username>

This assumes the mbox and cyrus usernames are the same - but it worked just fine.

Yay!

wizard Guest
    If anybody else needs a copy of mboxtocyrus, here it is - I modified this one to work with FC2. Put it in your mail spool folder and run it like this -

./mboxtocyrus <username>

Again, assuming the mbox username and the cyrus username are the same.

disclaimer: We're messing with mail now - and this script worked for me. As always, YMMV. Here's the script -
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # Script to import mbox-format mailboxes to Cyrus folders
    # Requires formail (from procmail)
    #
    # Note: As this runs cyrdeliver directly, you'll need to be
    #       a member of the mail group for it to work.
    #
    # Use this script at your own risk! I'm not responsible if
    # it trashes your mail system :)
    #
    # By Michael-John Turner <mj@debian.org>
    #

USER=$1
    MAILBOX=$2
    CYRUSFOLDER=$3
    #CYRDELIVER=/usr/sbin/cyrdeliver
    CYRDELIVER=/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/deliver
    FORMAIL=/usr/bin/formail

if ! [ -x "$FORMAIL" ]; then
    	echo ""
    	echo "formail (from procmail) is required to run this script"
    	echo ""
    	exit 1
    fi

if [ "$USER" = "" ]; then
    	echo ""
    	echo "syntax: $0 user [mbox] [cyrus folder]"
    	echo ""
    	echo "If no mbox is specified, the user and mbox name are taken to be the same"
    	echo "If no cyrus folder is specified, the INBOX is used"
    	echo ""
    	exit 2
    fi

if [ "$MAILBOX" == "" ]; then
    	MAILBOX=$USER
    fi

if [ "$CYRUSFOLDER" == "" ]; then
    	echo "Adding mailbox '$MAILBOX' to Cyrus INBOX of user '$USER'..."
    	$FORMAIL -I "From " < $MAILBOX -s $CYRDELIVER $USER
     else
    	echo "Adding mailbox '$MAILBOX' to Cyrus folder '$CYRUSFOLDER' of user '$USER'..."
    	$FORMAIL -I "From " < $MAILBOX -s $CYRDELIVER -m $CYRUSFOLDER $USER
    fi
    enjoy!

blammo Guest
    Originally posted by dave-tx
    I think the Fedora Project is being true to its concept... which is to test the latest technologies. Although Cyrus has been around a few years, it is proving itself to be a high-performance, highly configurable imap system. I actually got this puppy playing nice with Sendmail, and I'm finding it to be a powerful setup. Remember that Redhat Linux is gone, along with their support and docs. We're riding on the razors edge here!

jeru Guest
    Originally posted by dave-tx
    It's not really the default over dovecot. If you do a fresh install of FC2 as a server, I think all you can pick is dovecot from the GUI install. Otherwise you have to get the cyrus rpm's yourself with whatever you use to do that. As for why they translated FC1->FC2 imap as cyrus-imap... It just something for them to do since nothing is *exactly* translatable between this upgrade, and this service. dovecot supports mbox and maildir where cyrus is on it's own planet. But dovecot still does things different than traditional imap servers using it's imap caching/index's... Makes it nice and 'fast', don't know if i've ever seen the performance with standard large mbox files surmounted with anything else. Usually you need to use Maildir or a database type thing to get performance like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I've a Problem like your ,
    On a FC2 Cyrus-Imap pre-installed
    I 'acn create Mbx ( eg : user.nomuser ) but if I create a special Mbox like a top level mbox ( eg : Office)
    I can't suscribe it ??? with linux evolution client
    I've tested on another computer with a tgz based cyrus-imapd and it work fine ????

_PepeR_ Guest
    I just downgrade imapd to FC1 version. I think it's good solution

metrion Guest
    Kind of new to Fedora, using Core 2. How do you downgrade to FC 1 IMAPD? I can't get the current version to work at all. Can login to cyradm, but any create option yields broken pipe.

m