F10 Hibernate not working on a Dell Vostro 1400
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F10 Hibernate not working on a Dell Vostro 1400

I cannot get hibernate to work on my laptop. When I hibernate, the screen goes black (so I don't see any messages), then after a good while the computer turns off. But after I power it back on, Fedora boots as if I hadn't hibernated at all.

There are some other threads referring to problems with hibernate, but I haven't read about anything like my problem.

I don't even know what I could try to fix this, so any suggestions are welcome...

Is the swap partition in an LVM group or encrypted (or both), is the swap partition at least as big as your installed ram?

hibernation works best if things are simple, swap on a plain partition (not lvm not encrypted).

In any case it may be worthwhile to submit a bugzilla.

I have swap partition on a plain partition, and it is slightly bigger than my ram (2.2 Gb swap vs 2.0 Gb ram). So that should not be the problem. Maybe I should just submit a bugzilla...

I just realized that suspend is not working either! This worked until at most a few days ago, but now when I try to suspend I get a black screen and cannot get out of it...

Maybe I should add that a few days ago I installed another distro in a different partition, which formatted my swap partition and changed its UUID. I changed the UUID in my /etc/fstab file, and the swap partition is being mounted. I don't know if I should also change this UUID in some other file, and maybe this is what's causing the problem...

Make sure swap is active and the right size, 'swapon -s' lists active swap partitions/files

It's ok...
    Code:
    $ swapon -s
    Filename				Type		Size	Used	Priority
    /dev/sda5                               partition	2305316	0	-1

Ok, it's been a while but I still haven't been able to solve this. Suspend is working again (I don't know what happened in the first place) but I just can't hibernate...

Unable to access resume device

I saw a message today at boot time which is related to this and which will hopefully help me solve this. The first message I got when booting said something like "Unable to access resume device UUID=XXX...", where the UUID is not the same as my swap partition's (in fact, it doesn't correspond to any of my partitions). I think I formatted my swap partition after installing Fedora, so that must be the reason. But I don't know how to change it now, should I try running mkinitrd?

I've seen a couple of threads about this, but I'm not sure my problem is the same (no one mentioned a wrong UUID). The message must have been appearing for a long time, but I haven't seen it before because of the splash image that shows during boot time.