vmplayer not installing on fresh Fedora 10 installation
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

vmplayer not installing on fresh Fedora 10 installation

Hello,

I did a fresh installation of Fedora 10 x64 over my Fedora 9 laptop and I am now unable to run vmware's vmplayer (VMware-Player-2.5.1-126130.x86_64.rpm). This formerly worked great in F9.

It installs "successfully" but is unable to run. Below are the error message. I noticed this time that it didn't walk me through the compilation of the modules(??).

I suspect that it didn't install correctly and the installation process(es*) didn't warn me. I tried* both the .rmp and .bundle file with the same result.

I suspect that I may be missing a critical library or something that wasn't installed when I installed F10. I installed via the live CD and then did a yum group install of the development tools and libraries as well as installed the kernel-devel.

Any ideas? I bet that is something silly that I overlooked.

Code:
    # vmplayer
    Logging to /tmp/vmware-root/setup-19738.log
    modinfo: could not find module vmmon
    modinfo: could not find module vmnet
    modinfo: could not find module vmblock
    modinfo: could not find module vmci
    modinfo: could not find module vsock
    modinfo: could not find module vmmon
    modinfo: could not find module vmnet
    modinfo: could not find module vmblock
    modinfo: could not find module vmci
    modinfo: could not find module vsock

Did you run vmware-config.pl? That's when the modules compiled on my system (FC10, .2.6.27.8, VMware-Workstation-5.5.8-108000).

Daniel

The new version of vmplayer has the config script built in. I've done some more research and it appears that there is a seg fault somewhere and this is why I don't see the normal dialogue to build the modules. However, the lame installation process goes on to say it was successful.

Here is a link to a similar problem: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204603

On my home F10 desktop (just upgraded too), I plan to reinstall vmware-server 2.0. I had it working OK on Fedora 9, but it was flaky because it tended to require a periodic reinstall even if I did not upgrade the kernel.

I too got the same issue... :-(
    But after searching some forums at VMWare knowledgebase got the solution:

Remove the old binary modules:
    mv /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary.old

and rebuild it again:
    vmware-modconfig –console –install-all

Here is the link:
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...%200%208806153

Hope this help!

Bingo! That worked, thanks isuresh249!

The only trick though is that after I moved the binary directory, the vmware-modconfig –console install-all didn't work giving me some stupid message about the Icon not being set.

However, looking closely at the link that you provided (thanks again!), I just had to run vmplayer by clicking the icon on the Gnome->System Tools menu. It came up with a cute, eye-candy gui window saying that it was compiling all the modules.

== // ==

BTW, I managed to get VMware Server 2.0 installed and working on my freshly-installed F10 Desktop ... after disabling SELinux!

Quote Originally Posted by cheerio158
    BTW, I managed to get VMware Server 2.0 installed and working on my freshly-installed F10 Desktop ... after disabling SELinux!
    Hi:

Could you share how you did that? Any special commands?

Thanks

1. From the Gnome Main Menu->System->Administration->SELinux Management, set System Default Enforcing Mode to Disabled* and then reboot to relabel your filesystem.
    2. As root (or sudo) # rpm -ivh VMware-server-2.0.0-122956.x86_64.rpm (You have to download this from http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
    3. Walk through the dialogue accepting the default except I made my user the administrator instead of the default which is root.
    4. From Firefox enter (and bookmark) the URL http://localhost:8222 (also you can use https://localhost:8333)
    5. You will be asked to authenticate with your user id and password, and you should be good to go. Enjoy!

I prefer to use VMPlayer on my work laptop because it is relatively light-weight and the vmware tools work better so I can drag/drop or paste files back and forth between the host and the guest. On my home desktop, I use the VMServer to create new virtual machines, but I haven't managed to get the drag/drop/paste to work yet.

* Maybe someone has figured out how the add the appropriate rule to SELinux to allow running VMWare in enforcing mode.

cheerio158: Thanks.

The installation was just fine. Except I set SELinux to permissive instead of disabled.

I can see the vmware web interface when I open firefox, and I also set my user as the administrator. But then I type in the login and password and it tries to connect, but with no success. It says it can't find a connection etc.

I'll try to disable selinux, although I don't think it would be a lot different from permissive.

Thanks

Yes, it was Selinux... Permissive mode also stops it from working. You have to actually disable it.

Thanks

The only trick though is that after I moved the binary directory, the vmware-modconfig –console install-all didn't work giving me some stupid message about the Icon not being set.

However, looking closely at the link that you provided (thanks again!), I just had to run vmplayer by clicking the icon on the Gnome->System Tools menu. It came up with a cute, eye-candy gui window saying that it was compiling all the modules.

== // ==

That command was failing for me but I got it working. I don't know if this is a Firefox issue but the two hyphens before the console and install options are rendering as one long dash (it's the same in the official vmware KB) When I manually typed:

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

It worked like a charm, damn you cut and paste! In case it matters:

# uname -a
    Linux hostname 2.6.27.7-134.fc10.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 1 22:21:35 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Quote Originally Posted by mr_br0wn
    vmware-modconfig --console --install-all
    Running this command will got this error:
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/launcher.sh: line 231: 6130 Segmentation fault "$binary" "$@"

Quote Originally Posted by isuresh249
    I too got the same issue... :-(
    But after searching some forums at VMWare knowledgebase got the solution:

Remove the old binary modules:
    mv /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary /usr/lib/vmware/modules/binary.old

and rebuild it again:
    vmware-modconfig –console –install-all

Here is the link:
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...%200%208806153

Hope this help!
    Thanks Friends its working fine
    ASUS M3N78-EM, AMD Phenom™ X4 Quad-Core 9650+, 6GB DDR2 RAM, 160GB x 2 RAID0 HDD, Nvidia Geforce8300 Hybrid SLI
    Run @ Fedora12 x86_64,& Windows7 Ultimate x64

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Akmods-nvidia @ rpmfusion)

R.Mathan MCA, MCITP, MCTS

drlaz Guest

Thumbs up Thank you from me too

Remind me, how did I survive in my youth (and long after) before there was Googling for error messages?

You obviously didn't try replacing the dashes.

The following works fine, you don't need to click on the icons:
    Code:
    vmware-modconfig --config --install-all

While reconfiguring if it says Icon not set try
    Code:
    vmware-modconfig console install-all  --appname="VMware Workstation" --icon="vmware-workstation"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast