FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Songbird reaches version 1.0.0 status

listening to shoutcast right now, songbird IMO is the best media player. I'm not an easy guy to switch over on players either. I used XMMS until about 5 months ago.

Songbird 1.0 RPMs

RPMs for Songbird 1.0 are now available at digitalruin.net:

http://www.digitalruin.net/node/54

I've messed around with this media player off and on for a while now. Version 1.0.0 is pretty nice. Looks really professional. Reminds me of ITunes. The install was a breeze and I'm listening to some of my LedZep collection as we speak. If development continues with this program this is going to be the best media player available for Linux. I like it.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

I agree - plays nice with sound local files and DAAP (firefly) setups too

Too bad they didn't make it Free Software. I won't use it until they do.

Looks free to me. Didn't see anything on their web site that indicates otherwise. I have it. I'm using it and it doesn't appear to be disabled in any way. I didn't pay anything for it. I'd say that's free.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    I didn't pay anything for it. I'd say that's free.
    I think you have missed the point of Free Software somehow. If you feel left out, you can read the definition at the GNU website.

Why isn't Songbird Free Software? I quote from the Wikipedia entry (which is not the end-all, but I think it is accurate here):

U.S. Trademark 78,670,999 was registered on July 29, 2008 to Poti, Inc. This, as well as other technical problems (such as invasive changes to shared libraries and runtime download of non-free code) currently prevents Linux distributions including Debian and Ubuntu from packaging and including Songbird in its current form.

Add-ons are licensed only under a high-restrictive proprietary license, and there seems to be no binaries from Poti that do not include these proprietary add-ons.
    I know that some people might think this is nitpicking, but I don't, and a whole lot of other people don't. That's why I don't use Songbird. Enough said -- but I really hope they fix the issues so that I can use it because it looks pretty nice!

looks nice. anyone know how it handles large music collections. right now im using amarok because it can use mysql or postgresql instead a that sqlite crap. also i really like the interface tons more than rythembox at least. but its really the only kde app i use extensively, so if i could get rid of that weight it would be nice, also anyone know what kind of dependencies songbird has. as i did like banshee, but the whole mono thing has kept me away
    As always
    Love, Life, Loyalty, Wisdom, Knowledge, And Understanding
    FC6: Common Questions answered

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan47
    RPMs for Songbird 1.0 are now available at digitalruin.net:

http://www.digitalruin.net/node/54
    Using the F-10 64bit version and it works great

Quote Originally Posted by gnat79
    I think you have missed the point of Free Software somehow. If you feel left out, you can read the definition at the GNU website.
    If I feel left out? Sort of a snide remark isn't it? This isn't my first day with Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnat79
    Why isn't Songbird Free Software? I quote from the Wikipedia entry (which is not the end-all, but I think it is accurate here):

I know that some people might think this is nitpicking, but I don't, and a whole lot of other people don't. That's why I don't use Songbird. Enough said -- but I really hope they fix the issues so that I can use it because it looks pretty nice!
    I'll agree with the nitpicking comment. As I stated, I downloaded it for free, installed it for free and it's playing my music without the need for me to put a nickel into the jukebox for each song. Seems to be, um, free.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Quote Originally Posted by nick.stumpos
    anyone know how it handles large music collections. right now im using amarok because it can use mysql or postgresql instead a that sqlite crap. also i really like the interface tons more than rythembox at least. but its really the only kde app i use extensively, so if i could get rid of that weight it would be nice, also anyone know what kind of dependencies songbird has. as i did like banshee, but the whole mono thing has kept me away
    I've got somewhere around 12000 tunes in the database and so far it seems to be handling that well.

Not sure about dependencies. Installed for me first shot and didn't complain about anything, but I had previously done all that codec and multimedia stuff so I could listen to music using some of the stock media players.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Well, I apologize if that sounded snide, and looking back it does. I didn't mean it to be.

I just think that if you're a veteran "Linux" user, you should familiarize yourself with the one reason that you can use "Linux" -- that is because it is Free Software. Also, as you probably know, it's not "Linux" -- it's GNU/Linux. Linux is only the kernel and a handy way to refer to a distribution of software.

No, it's not nitpicking at all. I just said you might think it is, but even if you do think so, it's not. Is it nitpicking to emphasize the foundations of the software we use all the time, the reason so much software is freely available? I don't think so.

When you've read the definition of Free Software, why don't you tell me why it's nitpicking, giving reasons and backing them up. I will gladly listen.

Apology accepted but not really necessary. No worries.
    When you've read the definition of Free Software, why don't you tell me why it's nitpicking, giving reasons and backing them up. I will gladly listen.
    Come on, be serious. I don't really care what the definition says today. I like my definition of free. Download, install and use. Send kudos to the developers if I wish. Make a donation to the cause if I wish. Or do nothing. Good enough for me. And I'm not trying to be snide here. I just don't want to debate whether the software is free or partially free. That said, we've gone from an initial happy post of "Hey guys, SongBird 1.0.0 has been released. Check it out!" and have knocked it down to "You know folks, this isn't really free software. Maybe you all should think about this first because it technically doesn't fall under the definition of free." Let's just be happy that there is something decent that we can use to listen to our music instead of tossing yet another dark cloud over GNU/Linux.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

I have Songbird 1.0 up and running fine. I just wish there was a way to save radio streams to a playlist. Maybe that will be available in the next version.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast