Fedora 10 - Random Lock up
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    mub Guest

Fedora 10 - Random Lock up

(This is not a suspend issue)

Hey all. Just installed Fedora 10 and it's seems to be all but perfect. The only exception is the random lock up. It seems to just freeze, mouse included, but if you leave it for a minute or 2 the mouse will start responding again but nothing else. I have to hard reset the machine.

I'm This > < close to switching entirely to Linux. If anyone can help me work out what causing this lock up you make week

Machine details:
    Packard Bell Easynote MZ36
    RAM = 1GB
    GFX = ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M Series
    DVD-RW = Mat****a UJ-850D ATA Device
    WIFI = Ralink Wireless LAN Card V2
    NIC = Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    CPU = Intel T2080 CPU
    Sounds = Realtek HD Audio

Linux is installed on the second partition with WinXP installed on the first.

Many Thanks
    /mub

mub Guest
    I just made a new DVD to install from. Everything went very well. Minor difference; it gave 1064 packages this time but the first time it gave me 1072.

I let it do the software update thing rebooted and logged in all ok. Customised a few desktop settings then left it go to sleep. The screen saver came on, the screen dimmed, the screen went into powersave. Great!!

I left it for about an hour and it woke up. All seemed fine. I installed a short list of firefox pluggins and thought "I'll do a yipee it's working" post. but then it locked up. <pickyourownswareword>!!

So, is it firefox? a pluggin? I'll have to do some testing and come back. I vaguely remember something about firefox causing lockups months ago but I'm assuming it's been fixed. Wrong?

/mub

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine Too

I,ve had the same issue with F10 on my lappy with the live cd install and the dvd install.Firefox seems to be the culprit that starts the problem.

I have F10 on my desktop and it seems to be ok on it so far.
    Linux Registered User

xtascox Guest
    I'm running into the same problem with my laptop. Haven't had any issues on my desktop system though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try nomodeset

Try adding NOMODESET to the end of the kernel line in grub.conf.
    ....QUIET NOMODESET
    see
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=205240&page=2

This helped on my averatec 2575 w/ an ATI X1270

//Bill

mub Guest
    I tried the NO MODESET thing but I justhad another lockup. I was opening one of the preference panels. The mouse locked for a moment then freed up again but nothing else would respond. This is getting very annoying now. I'd really like to find a log file that tells me what was happening at the time.

I've stopped using firefox anyway and I didn't have anything open at the time.

/mub

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm...try a diffrent source install maybe or possibly its just a bug between certain hardware integrating with it. All new trials have errors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it has something to do with the radeon driver with the RADEON Express 200m. My laptop has experienced the same thing and I am trying to figure out what the differences are between the f9 and f10 version of the radeon driver.

xtascox Guest
    I've got a radeon chipset also. I wonder if it would cause any issues to revert to the f9 driver until this is sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mub, you're not alone. I'm having the exact same problems on my laptop. I have the same video card:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)

I thought the same thing at first, that it was firefox causing the issue. I'm now starting to wonder if it's memory, or video memory. I can't find a log file giving me any useful information either.

I haven't been on a network where I have access to another computer to see if I can still SSH to my laptop when it's hung. The mouse moves, but the video is frozen, and keyboard input seems to be unresponsive (ctrl+alt+del and ctrl+alt+backspace both do nothing.)

I don't have compiz running. I was thinking that it may be due to some quirk because I upgraded from fedora 9 using 'preupgrade'. Since you're having the exact same issue on the same video card, but with a fresh install from a cd, I'll skip the reformat I was planning for later today.

Also, maybe unrelated, maybe not. I have issues resuming from suspend. I simply get a black screen (the screen is on, but it's all black.)

Be sure to come back here if you find an answer. As soon as these two issues are worked out, I'll be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So....since i have a radeon video card...i guess i should not update my fedora core 9 to 10 eh? LoL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JK3MP
    haha, ya, you can keep an eye on this thread, and update once we've got ours fixed. But where's the fun in that?
    Then again, on second thought, random freezes are sorta frustrating...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i for sure switched to using linux more b/c it DOES NOT freeze up as much...so that issue would just entirely piss me off LoL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

This probably is not the problem, but just the same, open a terminal window, and do a CLI "free" command. Make sure that you have allocated sufficient 'swap' space for the software loading (services with programs running). I had the same thing happen and it turned out that I did not have any swap space. Of course, I rectified the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mub
    (This is not a suspend issue)

Hey all. Just installed Fedora 10 and it's seems to be all but perfect. The only exception is the random lock up. It seems to just freeze, mouse included, but if you leave it for a minute or 2 the mouse will start responding again but nothing else. I have to hard reset the machine.

I'm This > < close to switching entirely to Linux. If anyone can help me work out what causing this lock up you make week

Machine details:
    Packard Bell Easynote MZ36
    RAM = 1GB
    GFX = ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M Series
    DVD-RW = Mat****a UJ-850D ATA Device
    WIFI = Ralink Wireless LAN Card V2
    NIC = Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    CPU = Intel T2080 CPU
    Sounds = Realtek HD Audio

Linux is installed on the second partition with WinXP installed on the first.

Many Thanks
    /mub

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the delivered driver comes with xorg-x11-drv-ati and is version 6.9.0 release 54 ... if anyone can find a previous version and wants to try that see if it works. I'll try tonight also

One other question -- is anyone using i[36]86 systems and experiencing lockups?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast