FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Data Recovery from USB Drive

During installation of F10 an extra click of the mouse at the wrong time wiped the Linux partitions on both my Hard Drive and my USB Drive. I proceeded with the installation of F10 with no further problems, but how do I recover the data from the USB Drive which previously had been formatted as FAT.

I don't believe that the drive was formatted by anaconda but I am not sure, I hit <CTL><ALT><DEL> very quickly after I realized what I had done.

F10 no longer recognizes the drive when it is connected, however Windows does recognize it and asks if I want to format it. Hence my hope is that the Partition Table was the only thing destroyed.

Google search speaks only of windows tools from repairing Partition Tables (nothing re linux tools) and a search here speaks lots about dual booting and the MBR but I can find nothing about data recovery.

Any help or direction to help would be appreciated - the USB Drive held the BACKUP of my /home directory with many many files which were not backed up elsewhere ... so I am desparate!

w j dearborn
    Bill

bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

try running testdisk on the drive, it can often recover missing partition tables. testdisk is in the fedora repositories

Code:
    yum install testdisk

Thanks for the replies ...

I had found testdisk, shortly after the problem occurred, but it did not reveal anything.

I managed to find a Windows Version of Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery system (I had seen no sign of the Linux version until today). Only Raw Data Recovery appeared to have a chance of finding data.

This program has been running Raw Data Recovery on the 160 Gig USB drive for 10 days now, and is only about 33% complete. We appear to be finding files but it is taking forever - especially since the USB is only ver. 1.1. However, according to the Help File, I am not to interrupt or else I'll need to start all over again.

The key question at this point is: will the machine stay up for the time that is needed to work through all 312,516,706 sectors.

I will post when and if I have any results.

Bill Dearborn

Re: Data Recovery from USB Drive

using testdisk ...if usb drive stuffed use NON partioned drive ..choose FAT32 partition table.... re-build OS ...this will take a while but will repair and rebuild fat (sometimes if bad repeat re-build ..took me 3 times to re-build) ...dont use other part types as non partition only way to re-build...
    will brb ...still fixin...
    Last edited by LinuxBlue; 16th June 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Heh, we've all done this, and what julianaraiven posted is quite true, but, you are answering a thread that was begun 9 years ago. Someone else answered it 6 years later, but even that was three years ago.

On the other hand, yeah, backups are important if you have necessary things, so we certainly can't say your comment is outdated.

indeed, it was blatant spam anyhow, the program wasn't even for linux. thread closed.