Fedora 10 on OLPC
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    gregdek Guest

Fedora 10 on OLPC

Today OLPC is relaunching their Give One Get One program, and they are partnering with Amazon to handle logistics. Should be pretty awesome. You can check it out here.

There was a lot of demand for a different operating environment besides the Sugar environment, so Fedora has worked with the folks at On-Disk.com to provide an SD card with Fedora that can be loaded on to the XO. These can also be purchased from Amazon.

For those who purchase Fedora 10 for the XO, we'd love to hear your feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Good going Greg. How about an announcement to fedora-announce list too? We should rock the boat a bit.
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

debio Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdek
    For those who purchase Fedora 10 for the XO, we'd love to hear your feedback.
    I have an XO and am quite interested in Fedora 10 on an SD card. I was wondering, though (and a quick search didn't really provide an answer), about getting the Fedora image w/o getting the SD card? As it happens, I have a few SD cards lying around that would be perfect for this, and don't need to buy another.

So, can I download (or even "buy", I suppose) *just* the image and then copy onto my own card?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download the F10 preview live.iso and write it to the SD card with the LiveUSB creator gui or the livecd-iso-to-disk script and see if it boots. I have joined the XO G1G1 and expect to receive one soon and will try exactly what was suggested to you. You can also write the live image to the card with a encrypted persistent home. I have done it with LiveUSBs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by debio
    I have an XO and am quite interested in Fedora 10 on an SD card. I was wondering, though (and a quick search didn't really provide an answer), about getting the Fedora image w/o getting the SD card? As it happens, I have a few SD cards lying around that would be perfect for this, and don't need to buy another.

So, can I download (or even "buy", I suppose) *just* the image and then copy onto my own card?
    Well I thought it would be just a matter of writing the Fedora live image to a sd card placing it in the XO card slot and rebooting how silly of me to think it would be that simple

Seems that the XO is protected from booting from the sd card unless you buy a card with Fedora already installed with a "key" that unlocks the card.

Well I guess another $41 will get me up and running so as to test F10 on the XO, good thing this is free software and didn't cost me anything.
    Last edited by ryptyde; 22nd November 2008 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add trivial comments

debio Guest
    Well, it should still be possible without needing to buy the card. Check this out --

http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/ar...ops-on-the-xo/

I haven't tried, but looks promising...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by debio
    Well, it should still be possible without needing to buy the card. Check this out --

http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/ar...ops-on-the-xo/

I haven't tried, but looks promising...

Done some more research and can see why it may cost $41 for the pre-installed Fedora, the the ultra fast SD cards are quite expensive at the moment. The ultra fast 4GB cards were around $40.