FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    tried both. last test was with fusion.Will give it a quick go again now.

I'm using the downloaded 8.11 version from AMD. And I ran the ./config_ati (? currently on windows side) script after the install (in /usr/share/ati), which I think is what did a trial load of the kernel module. What bothers me most about the freeze is not being able to grab a terminal using ctr_alt_F2 or 3, or 4... Currently booting into runlevel 3, waiting for another kernel release to try again. I don't have rpmfusion or livna repos enabled. 8.10 fglrx installer gagged on default security policy for kernel 2.6.27.

Ok, had another go tonight

a) With the ati official 8.11 installer from 11 Nov

I ran an "install"-- which went cleanly. However after a reboot whilst the driver started, the kernel module failed toload. The result was corrupted screen, no mouse pointer

The origin of the failure was here:
    (II) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit done
    (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
    (II) fglrx(0): Name: radeon
    (II) fglrx(0): Version: 1.29.0
    (II) fglrx(0): Date: 20080528
    (II) fglrx(0): Desc: ATI Radeon
    (WW) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version does *not* match driver.
    (EE) fglrx(0): incompatible kernel module detected - HW accelerated OpenGL will not work

This is the old "radeon" driver.

I de-installed xorg-x11-drv-ati, but after a reboot this was still loaded. I even removed the module from /lib/modules/2.6.27.5-109.fc10.i686//kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko, but still radeon was loaded. I ended up rebuilding the initrd & was finally able to persuade fglrx to try to load

But I then had further issues ie with errors like
    (II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmAddMap failed
    (EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!

(EE) fglrx(0): FB pci_device_map_range error!(EE) fglrx(0): Failed to map FB mem
    ory

I also had several other errors in the log in both cases including
    (EE) fglrx(0): firegl_SetSuspendResumeState FAILED -9.
    (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize ASIC in kernel.
    (EE) fglrx(0): Failed to enable interrupts.
    (EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.

b) with the rpmfusion driver
    install was easier -- I just got to that mapping error quicker...

Sigh.

A few errors from the /var/log/messages. I think that ACPI is turning off or doing something wrong with the power to the graphics card. The power issues (thermal) were the primary reason FC 10 has been slow to take for this platform but the CPU has been cool under kernel 2.6.27. Who knows if the solution is in the ATI Driver or the kernel power management.

The first load and unload of the kernel module during install show the same ACPI change, but the last load is followed by an attempt to start the X-server, and the freeze follows. The last few lines show the reboot.

Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9612 count: 1
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] ioport: bar 1, base 0x5000, size: 0x100
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:05.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] Pat entry 2 is already configured
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.55.2 [Oct 28 2008] with 1 minors
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] Disable PAT
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A disabled
    Nov 17 16:35:04 localhost kernel: [fglrx] module unloaded - fglrx 8.55.2 [Oct 28 2008]
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 3553 MBytes.
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9612 count: 1
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: [fglrx] ioport: bar 1, base 0x5000, size: 0x100
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:05.0: power state changed by ACPI to D0
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: pci 0000:01:05.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: [fglrx] Pat entry 2 is already configured
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
    Nov 17 16:39:23 localhost kernel: [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.55.2 [Oct 28 2008] with 1 minors

#FORCE SHUTDOWN HERE
    Nov 17 16:42:10 localhost kernel: imklog 3.21.3, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
    Nov 17 16:42:10 localhost kernel: Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
    Nov 17 16:42:10 localhost kernel: Initializing cgroup subsys cpu
    Nov 17 16:42:10 localhost kernel: Linux version 2.6.27.5-109.fc10.x86_64 (mockbuild@xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.3.2 20081105 (Red Hat 4.3.2-7) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Thu Nov 13 20:12:05 EST 2008
    Nov 17 16:42:10 localhost kernel: Command line: 3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

I just updated RPM Fusion's F10 branch to 8.11, maybe you'll get a bit farther with those but based on my test they don't work any better. Good news is Fedora isn't the only distro with the problem - apparently, Debian is seeing similar issues as well.
    Firewing1
    Last edited by Firewing1; 18th November 2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote
    [+] My open source software and blog
    [+] Some of my howtos: (for full list, click here)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Firewing1
    I just updated RPM Fusion's F10 branch to 8.11, maybe you'll get a bit farther with those but based on my test they don't work any better. Good news is Fedora isn't the only distro with the problem - apparently, Debian is seeing similar issues as well.
    Firewing1
    Yeah, they do not. I'm exactly where I was with the amd installer. When loading X, it just freezes the whole computer and the X log is exactly the same as the one in my first post (Xorg_amd). Damn!

Do any of you have /dev/dri folder and if so, do you have anything in it? I don't even have this folder and I'm guessing that this is the source of this problem...

I have tried every new FGLRX with every new kernel with the same results as these. It is well known now that FGLRX will not work with this version of Xorg (the newest). It is working in Ubuntu 8.10, but that distro is using an earlier version of Xorg. I have always had to revert back to the open source radeon driver just to get back to a desktop.

I have found no information anywhere as to when FGLRX is expected to be upgraded to work with this version of Xorg.

I don't have a /dev/dri, but I do have the xorg drm packages installed. I thought about building the new version of dri (slightly newer than what's available) but my guess is like Bob's that we'll have to wait for the next round out of ATI. Too bad this one wasn't it. The untapped potential for compiz on a touchscreen laptop seems huge for me. One of the buttons on the periphery of the screen should be mapped to "ctrl+alt," then pressing this button and a swipe of the finger across the screen would change desktops.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by BobNutfield
    I have tried every new FGLRX with every new kernel with the same results as these. It is well known now that FGLRX will not work with this version of Xorg (the newest). It is working in Ubuntu 8.10, but that distro is using an earlier version of Xorg. I have always had to revert back to the open source radeon driver just to get back to a desktop.

I have found no information anywhere as to when FGLRX is expected to be upgraded to work with this version of Xorg.
    So the only option is to downgrade the X server again?

Quote Originally Posted by mck182
    I did read a post a few weeks back during Beta that one user had in fact downgraded to Fedora 9's Xorg version and was able to successfully use FGLRX in Fedora 10. But to my knowledge no one has been successful getting this version to work. I posted the question several days ago looking for an answer to why the drivers are in the repos for the kernel versions being used in F10, but they will NOT work. There is no (to my knowledge) sticky or other informational message about this. Yet, no one that I know of has been able to get FGLRX to work.

I did read a post a few weeks back during Beta that one user had in fact downgraded to Fedora 9's Xorg version and was able to successfully use FGLRX in Fedora 10. But to my knowledge no one has been successful getting this version to work. I posted the question several days ago looking for an answer to why the drivers are in the repos for the kernel versions being used in F10, but they will NOT work. There is no (to my knowledge) sticky or other informational message about this. Yet, no one that I know of has been able to get FGLRX to work.
    Damn ATI! I guess I'll try the downgrade as I need 3D accel. and like AMD_tab_enduser said, the potential of compiz on a touchscreen is just great Hope that it's not too hard and too dirty....is there any howto?

Anybody tried to revert back to Fedora 9's xorg packages ?

Quote Originally Posted by mck182
    Quote Originally Posted by reader69
    Anybody tried to revert back to Fedora 9's xorg packages ?
    I have not tried. The only real reason the FGLRX driver is important to me is it makes scrolling in Firefox smoother. I don't use Compiz or desktop effects. But, I will try to find the post I read and post back.

Bob

I have not tried. The only real reason the FGLRX driver is important to me is it makes scrolling in Firefox smoother. I don't use Compiz or desktop effects. But, I will try to find the post I read and post back.

Bob
    Ok, so I have tried downgading by removing all the xorg packages and installing f9 repo and excluding xorg packages from fedora10 repo and then doing yum group install "X Window System". The driver doesnt work either. Exactly the same error, although it doesnt freeze the system and I was able to switch to terminal. But nothing more. It still cannot find the /dev/dri/card0 piece, so I think either I did something wrong, or it is a kernel/drm/dri bug.

Oh yeah and the ati installer said it detected X.Org 7.4 (but I definitely had 7.3, 100% sure) and so it installed the 7.4 libs, which it couldnt load then (obviously), so that may actually be the bug. But I have no idea how does the ati installer detect Xorg version. Any ideas on that?

I guess I will just wait for some new howto...

About /dev/dri, that's exactly it... The frozen black screen problem is really because of this:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/X: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol: firegl_QueryMCRange
    That error causes X to exit (ctrl+alt+f1 should still work and allow you to reboot the machine or restore a working xorg.conf). In the logs, DRM is failing but this is actually the same problem - firegl_QueryMCRange is defined in libfglrxdrm.so which isn't being loaded, so DRM fails and the fglrx_drv.so file has undefined symbols. I'd imagine this is either because ATI has hardcoded some path we don't know about (for example, the /usr/lib/fglrx/fglrx_dri.so problem in 8.10) or there's a bug in Xorg.
    Firewing1
    [+] My open source software and blog
    [+] Some of my howtos: (for full list, click here)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast