HOWTO: Installing BEESU!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bee Guest

Arrow HOWTO: Installing BEESU!

HI !!!

I'm proud and a lot happy to tell you that beesu is ready. Beesu is finally completed!!

• What is it:

Beesu is a software like gksu or ktsuss (you have one how-to about ktsuss here, but beesu is a lot better so stay here!!).

Beesu took me a lot of hard work and time to learn how Fedora works and how to write this little utility. But now it's here.

Beesu (it sounds like "be su", to be or not to beeee?) works only in Fedora. And it run with consolehelper, so it'll look like a native software for Fedora!

It's good because you can run any software as root and you don't need to enter your root password each time, because while the session is active beesu could run any application as root without asking you your root password.

The best way to understand beesu is installing it! just try!!!!!!!!

• Online installation:

As beesu is in the default update repository of Fedora, if you are connected to the Net, to install beesu, you need to open a new terminal and type:
    Code:
    $ su -
    # yum install beesu
    that's very easy!!!!!!
    And beesu will be automatically updated, through yum, on the next releases too!!!

When the software is installed, you could read its manual by typing
    Code:
    $ man beesu
    • Offline installation:

To install beesu without a working connection, you need to download the RPM file located here:
    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/s...ob&terms=beesu and move it to your Fedora computer.
    Once done, type:
    Code:
    $ su -
    # cd /your/download/path
    # rpm -Uvh beesu-*.fc*.*.rpm
    • To uninstall it:

You don't have to do this if you like beesu, but if you want to uninstall it for some reasons, you could just type:
    Code:
    # rpm -e beesu
    or
    # yum remove beesu
    • Using beesu:

Beesu keeps the same input commands as "su"

So you can type:
    Code:
    $ beesu gfloppy
    to start gfloppy as root.
    Or
    Code:
    $ beesu -l nautilus /etc
    or
    $ beesu - nautilus /etc
    to load the root's environment, start nautilus as root and open your /etc folder.
    It's simple to understand what is the difference between typing "-l" or not. Experiment this example to print your current working directory:
    Code:
    [bee@localhost ~]$ beesu pwd
    /home/bee
    [bee@localhost ~]$ beesu - pwd
    /root
    That is, it work!

It's the same to start truecrypt:
    Code:
    $ beesu -l truecrypt
    As you can understand, it's also better than sudo!

• Configuration file:

You have one file located in /etc called "beesu.conf"
    So if you write:
    Code:
    $ beesu gedit /etc/beesu.conf
    you could edit that file to restrict the commands beesu can execute. By reading "man beesu" and the comments in /etc/beesu.conf you will understand how much it's simple!
    By default, after installing beesu, you will be able to run any command without restrictions.

• Source RPM:

I don't know what is it useful for you, but download it from:
    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/s...ob&terms=beesu
    http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/beesu/

• Source code:

Here's the source code: http://spot.fedorapeople.org/beesu/
    If you are going to compile it, you need the gnu compiler installed.
    After having downloaded the source code, and decompressed the archive, to build your executable file, type:
    Code:
    $ cd /source/path/beesu-2.2
    $ make
    $ su
    # make install
    That's all.
    It's always hard to uninstall software compiled by yourself, but beesu is easy also on this point.
    Keep the Makefile of your compiled version, and to uninstall that software, type:
    Code:
    $ cd /source/path/beesu-2.2
    $ su
    # make uninstall
    and all installed files will be removed.

..."too simple to be true!"

• Bugs:

You could think that the only honey bug you would find in beesu is the honey bee working for you inside beesu ... and that's right!!
    But if you find an intruder, click on this link:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bu...omponent=beesu
    to point that bug out!!!!

• Thank you!

Thank you for using beesu!!!
    Don't forget to comment and tell me thank you, too if you like this my utility!!!! (write here or in my personal page)

bye!!
    Last edited by Dan; 6th October 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: NEW: BEESU IS IN YUM !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the first thing to do to make it fully compliant with Fedora would be to provide bin and src rpm's, wouldn't it ?

Thanks for you effort. Will have a look at those rpms asap.
    For safer browsing, use OpenDNS nameservers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

SELinux User Guide

AutoPager

bee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokia
    Well, the first thing to do to make it fully compliant with Fedora would be to provide bin and src rpm's, wouldn't it ?

Thanks for you effort. Will have a look at those rpms asap.
    i don't have learnt how to build RPMs at the moment, but as i was enough good for bash-scripting, i did an installer in that way

I'll build one RPM, i just need to learn howto build it - before. lol
    But i'm working on it too...

bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

leigh123linux Guest
    Heres a rough srpm you can play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have to take a looksee at your source i just did something similar what lang is it written in
    As always
    Love, Life, Loyalty, Wisdom, Knowledge, And Understanding
    FC6: Common Questions answered

bee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
    Heres a rough srpm you can play with.
    Thank you!! that was one thing i need: the spec file. It's there, so i have one working example.
    I've spend a lot of time, looking for a way to create a good "Makefile". Finally, i've created one, but i've no ideas how to merge it with RPM!! lol
    Leigh , as you are so good... i've uploaded my Makefile and the source here:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/15372992...e.tar.bz2.html
    can you create one good RPM with a very-very good spec file? and telling me what i have to type to join all the file together with rpmbuild? so i can learn from you! and finally, in this way, i'll end my application in 3 seconds! thanks!

@nick.stumpos: it's written in std C.
    You and everybody can install it from the source if you download that compressed file linked before, and once decompressed you type:
    Code:
    $ cd /enter/into/the/right/folder/beesumakefile
    $ make
    $ su
    # make install
    and if you want:
    # exit
    $ make clean
    Of course you need to have the compiler installed.

Bye!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good stuff little different than mine, mine is more of a wrapper for su so you can enter the password as a command line argument, makes it useful for things like zenity. yours solves a different problem. cheers. ps ill post my code when i get over to my webserver maybe tomorrow
    As always

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o yes thanks, something i tend to forget to do, but almost always the right thing to say, im sure your work will help someone
    As always

bee Guest
    Thank you, nick.stumpos and wvn!!

Give me some days... and i'll try to build one RPM and maybe i'll add some features if i can think about a new one ...

bye!!!

bee Guest
    here i am!
    After many attempts to build a working RPM. It's done too!!!!!
    You can download it from the links in the first message!!
    Tell me if there are something that doesn't work. You could also build the RPM from the source, by typing rpmbuild -ba --clean beesu.spec

bye!

leigh123linux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    here i am!
    After many attempts to build a working RPM. It's done too!!!!!
    You can download it from the links in the first message!!
    Tell me if there are something that doesn't work. You could also build the RPM from the source, by typing rpmbuild -ba --clean beesu.spec

bye!

There are few mistakes , have a look at this SRPM

it still isn't perfect

Code:
    [leigh05@localhost Desktop]$ rpmlint -vi '/var/lib/mock/fedora-9-i386/result/beesu-1.0-2.fc9.i386.rpm' 
    beesu.i386: I: checking
    beesu.i386: W: no-dependency-on usermode
    beesu.i386: W: symlink-should-be-relative /usr/bin/beesu /usr/bin/consolehelper
    Absolute symlinks are problematic eg. when working with chroot environments.

1 packages and 0 specfiles checked; 0 errors, 2 warnings.

bee Guest
    Hi and thank you leigh!!
    So, for what i've understand...there aren't critical mistakes!
    That source RPM has two warning, it works only if you are using the root user to build it (first little mistake). The binary RPM works anyhow (this means that people who have installed my first RPM, will not need to update it, because these two warnings are related only to the source RPM).
    So, if i've understand everything: the makefile doesn't need to set the owner of each file, because users cannot set "root" as owner (and this is why normal people cannot built the RPM but only with the root power it's possible) [=first thing to avoid].
    I don't know what "no-dependency-on usermode" is talking about anyway... I've got the second warning "symlink-should-be-relative"...it's because there are written (in the Makefile) "CONSOLEHELPER=/usr/bin/consolehelper" and i'm thinking that i need to change it to "CONSOLEHELPER=$(BINDIR)/consolehelper" to avoid that warning. It'll work, because "ln -s" is a symbolic link, so it'll work even if the target file doesn't exists! this is the solution to avoid that warning!! (though it wasn't something of critical, because if you are building your RPM normally under fedora, no errors will happen)
    ah, yes, after the clean-up the spec file looks more cute to see im learning a lot about rpm!

thanks, bye!!!!

leigh123linux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bee
    Hi and thank you leigh!!
    So, for what i've understand...there aren't critical mistakes!
    That source RPM has two warning, it works only if you are using the root user to build it (first little mistake). The binary RPM works anyhow (this means that people who have installed my first RPM, will not need to update it, because these two warnings are related only to the source RPM).
    So, if i've understand everything: the makefile doesn't need to set the owner of each file, because users cannot set "root" as owner (and this is why normal people cannot built the RPM but only with the root power it's possible) [=first thing to avoid].
    I don't know what "no-dependency-on usermode" is talking about anyway... I've got the second warning "symlink-should-be-relative"...it's because there are written (in the Makefile) "CONSOLEHELPER=/usr/bin/consolehelper" and i'm thinking that i need to change it to "CONSOLEHELPER=$(BINDIR)/consolehelper" to avoid that warning. It'll work, because "ln -s" is a symbolic link, so it'll work even if the target file doesn't exists! this is the solution to avoid that warning!! (though it wasn't something of critical, because if you are building your RPM normally under fedora, no errors will happen)
    ah, yes, after the clean-up the spec file looks more cute to see im learning a lot about rpm!

thanks, bye!!!!
    Here are some rpm building guides

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packa...5build_section

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seeing as this inspired me to finish my similiar, but not the same project, just wanted to thank bee for reminding me about it. if anyone is interested the thread for it is here
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...00#post1097300
    thanks bee
    As always

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast