FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy mount windows share to share it

I know it sounds weird, but i know i can do it under NFS (linux to linux), but i need to share a windows share between to networks thats why i plan to use my fedora 8 box as a link, right now it is but i cant mount that window share everytime i try mount -t cifs i get a mount 6 error or it ask me for a password (i use XP and i dont use any password) i guess thats my problem blank password is there a way to solve it?
    I can see the xp folder from Network under places, i even have a link in my desktop, is there a way to "share" that link as if it was locally mounted?
    Sorry if im asking dumb things, but as i said i use nfs and i now i can do that, i dont use smb, just from linux to windows but not in the other way.
    Thanks for all guys!

I usually mount these shares from fstab and leave things at default for unprotected shares:

Code:
    //server_IP        /mount/point        cifs        defaults 0 0
    However, I do believe I did struggle one time with Samba (mount.cifs) requesting a password on an unprotected share.
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Thanks, well i did that before posting :P and still ask me for a password...and enter didnt work.
    Another option?

Once I tried to actually provide the name/pw of a user with access to the share in the Windows machine. That seemed to work, still some times if the account does not have a password I believe Samba will not parse the login information unless you provide a password. It's been a while since I last struggled with this particular thing with SMB/CIFS, I still have other issues, though... At any rate, I also use the following:

Code:
    //Server_IP        /mount/point       cifs        credentials=/etc/smb.secrets 0 0
    Where smb.secrets contains:

user=USER
    password=PASSWORD
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool: