yum broken with No module named _sha256
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    yum broken with No module named _sha256

    Hi.

    During a fedora 9 upgrade from fc8 (x86_64), anaconda failed at the very end with a python error. I was nevertheless able to reboot into fedora 9, but now I have one major problem:

    Yum does not work at all. I get a python error saying:

    "No module named _sha256"

    I've googled this extensively. This error has occurred for others but not in the same context.

    Can anyone please help me fix this problem? I just want yum to work so I can upgrade the fedora 9 system and hopefully repair anything else that anaconda failed to finalize.

    Thank you very much for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem was fixed by manually using rpm to update to latest yum and python packages.

  3. #3
    SuperFly Guest
    Hi,

    I am having the exact same problem after upgrading my computer (i386) from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9 using PreUgrade.

    I am fairly novice using Linux and manually re-installing packages. Would you mind providing some details on how you used RPM to manually upgrade yum and python. I have tried several iterations without success. Currently installed are the following packages:

    yum: yum-3.2.14-10.fc9.noarch
    python: python-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi superfly,

    Grab the latest yum and pyhton packages from any mirror, e.g.
    ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/9/x86_64/

    Fileython-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm 4979 KB 07/03/2008 11:34:00 PM
    Fileython-fedora-0.2.99.11.1-1.fc9.noarch.rpm 65 KB 05/30/2008 07:02:00 PM
    Fileython-libs-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm 602 KB 07/03/2008 11:35:00 PM
    File:yum-3.2.16-2.fc9.noarch.rpm 705 KB 05/27/2008 10:50:00 PM

    After downloading them all to the same directory, as root do something like:

    rpm -Uvh Your_Dir_path/*.rpm

    If it complains it needs other packages, then download those too.
    It's a painful, manual process but it'll work in the end.

    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marblehead MA USA
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the "missing dependencies" message and the files I need are apparently not on the site. dang.

  6. #6
    SoaDMTGguy Guest
    What missing dependencies did you have? I had the same problem as you, but I was able to find the correct dependancies on the rpmfind.net mirror.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marblehead MA USA
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't remember what they were. I found all the numbered files, but couldn't find some of the others. Then, it acted like the numbered file (2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm) didn't exist. Anyway, my problems are a whole lot worse now! I think there may be a bug in Anaconda. My install attempt wiped out Fc8 and now Windows won't boot either (it's a dual-boot). In fact, I can't even get the hd restored to "factory settings" with the recovery disk.

    I was able to get my files off by using a live-cd of Puppy linux, but I worked pretty hard to get to that point (tried many flavors).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoaDMTGguy
    What missing dependencies did you have? I had the same problem as you, but I was able to find the correct dependancies on the rpmfind.net mirror.
    I have the same problem except that on my machine the latest python will not install because it conflicts with packages left from fc8.
    Here you see.
    Code:
    [masoud] sudo rpm -Uvh python-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) tkinter-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    From here I do not know where to go because:
    Code:
    [masoud] rpm -qa|grep python|grep fc8
    python-cheetah-2.0.1-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-cherrypy-2.3.0-3.fc8.noarch
    python-formencode-0.7.1-2.fc8.noarch
    python-ruledispatch-0.5a0-0.7.svnr2306.fc8.x86_64
    python-alsaaudio-0.3-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    python-genshi-0.4.4-2.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-libwnck-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    gnome-python2-gtksourceview-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    audit-libs-python-1.7.4-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-TestGears-0.2-6.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-totem-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-paste-script-1.3.6-1.fc8.noarch
    python-nose-0.10.0-2.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.19.1-14.fc8.x86_64
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    python-turbocheetah-1.0-1.fc8.noarch
    python-turbojson-1.1.2-3.fc8.noarch
    python-exif-1.0.7-4.fc8.noarch
    python-simplejson-1.7.3-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-decoratortools-1.6-1.fc8.noarch
    python-kid-0.9.6-2.fc8.noarch
    python-configobj-4.4.0-2.fc8.noarch
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    python-imaging-tk-1.1.6-4.fc8.x86_64
    python-turbokid-1.0.4-1.fc8.noarch
    python-psycopg2-2.0.7-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    python-elixir-0.5.1-1.fc8.noarch
    python-sqlalchemy0.3-0.3.11-1.fc8.noarch
    python-lxml-1.3.6-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-sqlobject-0.9.3-2.fc8.noarch
    python-paste-deploy-1.3.1-2.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-nautilus-cd-burner-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-sqlalchemy-0.4.6-1.fc8.noarch
    python-setuptools-0.6c8-1.fc8.noarch
    Do I need fc9 version of these? Would the rpm merry-go-round stop there? My guess is that this being python, this is just the begining
    Any suggestion is appreciated.
    I use F26 and Gnome Xfce, with all updates applied, on a X86_64 kernel with 4gb of DRAM and Evga Geforce 7600 GS PCI-E 256mb DDR2 video card.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpajoh
    I have the same problem except that on my machine the latest python will not install because it conflicts with packages left from fc8.
    Here you see.
    Code:
    [masoud] sudo rpm -Uvh python-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    error: Failed dependencies:
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) tkinter-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    	python = 2.5.1-26.fc8 is needed by (installed) python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    From here I do not know where to go because:
    Code:
    [masoud] rpm -qa|grep python|grep fc8
    python-cheetah-2.0.1-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-cherrypy-2.3.0-3.fc8.noarch
    python-formencode-0.7.1-2.fc8.noarch
    python-ruledispatch-0.5a0-0.7.svnr2306.fc8.x86_64
    python-alsaaudio-0.3-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    python-genshi-0.4.4-2.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-libwnck-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    gnome-python2-gtksourceview-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    audit-libs-python-1.7.4-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-TestGears-0.2-6.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-totem-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-paste-script-1.3.6-1.fc8.noarch
    python-nose-0.10.0-2.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.19.1-14.fc8.x86_64
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    python-turbocheetah-1.0-1.fc8.noarch
    python-turbojson-1.1.2-3.fc8.noarch
    python-exif-1.0.7-4.fc8.noarch
    python-simplejson-1.7.3-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-decoratortools-1.6-1.fc8.noarch
    python-kid-0.9.6-2.fc8.noarch
    python-configobj-4.4.0-2.fc8.noarch
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc8.i386
    python-imaging-tk-1.1.6-4.fc8.x86_64
    python-turbokid-1.0.4-1.fc8.noarch
    python-psycopg2-2.0.7-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-2.5.1-26.fc8.x86_64
    python-elixir-0.5.1-1.fc8.noarch
    python-sqlalchemy0.3-0.3.11-1.fc8.noarch
    python-lxml-1.3.6-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-sqlobject-0.9.3-2.fc8.noarch
    python-paste-deploy-1.3.1-2.fc8.noarch
    gnome-python2-nautilus-cd-burner-2.20.0-1.fc8.x86_64
    python-sqlalchemy-0.4.6-1.fc8.noarch
    python-setuptools-0.6c8-1.fc8.noarch
    Do I need fc9 version of these? Would the rpm merry-go-round stop there? My guess is that this being python, this is just the begining
    Any suggestion is appreciated.
    I also experienced this yum module error after preupgrade upgrade from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9, although on i386, not x86_64 . This is a royal mess, and after looking at what it was going to take to attempt to fix this manually with rpm, I bailed and restored the rsync I took just before the upgrade. I've spent 20-some years as a systems engineer supporting Unix and now Linux, and my systems intuition said if yum and python were this badly broken, with such a torturous path the repair, that it was just the tip of the iceberg. Cups and httpd startups were both failing with module errors also. I didn't even bother looking into troubleshooting those. Just my $.02.

  10. #10
    SoaDMTGguy Guest
    I got almost the exact same error, only with slightly different packages being listed as missing dependancies. I simply downloaded the F9 versions of the listed packages and installed them together in one command, and it worked.

  11. #11
    philwynk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by epperson
    I also experienced this yum module error after preupgrade upgrade from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9, although on i386, not x86_64 . This is a royal mess, and after looking at what it was going to take to attempt to fix this manually with rpm, I bailed and restored the rsync I took just before the upgrade. I've spent 20-some years as a systems engineer supporting Unix and now Linux, and my systems intuition said if yum and python were this badly broken, with such a torturous path the repair, that it was just the tip of the iceberg. Cups and httpd startups were both failing with module errors also. I didn't even bother looking into troubleshooting those. Just my $.02.
    What a coincidence -- the FC9 preupgrade broke exactly the same things on my system. My intuition says the same as yours, although it looks as though the damage is limited to cups and httpd.

    I also had the yum update problem, but if you download the fc9 versions of everything it says is already installed as fc8, and do an rpm -Uvh *.rpm on them, the dependencies will resolve and yum will work.

    I'm not quite to reinstalling FC8, but I'm getting pretty close...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Philwynk,

    It's a seriously broken installer that will replace the existing Firefox with a beta version, but not replace essential rpms with the correct versions. I'm capable of troubleshooting what it breaks, but not willing. Since I always take care to have a backout scenario, the rollback decision was easy: less than an hour to resync, or significantly longer than that to find and download the rpms to fix yum, then probably hours more banging on Apache and CUPS. I don't understand how this got out the door. Good luck to you, hope you get it straightened out if a Fedora 8 reinstall is your other option.

    regards,
    j.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marblehead MA USA
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to return my laptop for service (still under warranty). Seems to be a HD error (is it Samsung? nobody knows....)

    I loaded Ubuntu on an olllllldddddd Thinkpad. We'll see how that goes (fc9 live CD worked ok on it, but I wanted something on the HD I can use while traveling next week.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Marblehead MA USA
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK--I have a fresh new machine. What do you think is the best way to make a clean install of F9?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After an hour of work I installed the following on my PC:
    Code:
    gnome-python2-applet-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-desktop-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-extras-2.19.1-16.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-gnomeprint-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-gtkhtml2-2.19.1-16.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-gtkmozembed-2.19.1-16.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-gtksourceview-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-libegg-2.19.1-16.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-libwnck-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-nautilus-cd-burner-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    gnome-python2-totem-2.22.0-4.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-alsaaudio-0.3-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-cheetah-2.0.1-2.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-cherrypy-3.0.3-2.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-configobj-4.5.2-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-decoratortools-1.7-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc9.i386.rpm
    python-devel-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-elixir-0.5.2-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-exif-1.0.7-4.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-formencode-1.0-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-genshi-0.5-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-imaging-tk-1.1.6-9.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc9.i386.rpm
    python-libs-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-lxml-2.0.7-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-nose-0.10.1-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-paste-deploy-1.3.1-2.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-paste-script-1.6.2-2.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-psycopg2-2.0.7-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-psycopg2-doc-2.0.7-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-ruledispatch-0.5a0-0.9.svnr2306.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-simplejson-1.8.1-1.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    python-sqlalchemy-0.4.6-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-sqlobject-0.10.0-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-TestGears-0.2-7.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-turbocheetah-1.0-2.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-turbojson-1.1.2-3.fc9.noarch.rpm
    python-turbokid-1.0.4-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    tkinter-2.5.1-26.fc9.x86_64.rpm
    now the yum seems to be working again. YMMV
    I use F26 and Gnome Xfce, with all updates applied, on a X86_64 kernel with 4gb of DRAM and Evga Geforce 7600 GS PCI-E 256mb DDR2 video card.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. F6->F7 YUM broken (No module named rpm) ??
    By HENRYLINUX in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20th September 2007, 07:22 PM
  2. No module named gtk
    By BlueH2O in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22nd April 2006, 10:49 PM
  3. yum broken ("No module named urlgrabber")
    By ndv in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22nd February 2006, 06:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •