FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Arrow partition auto-mount, editing fstab

My system has several HDs with multiple partitions. During boot, Fedora automounts all partitions and I get 11 drive icons that I'd rather not see on the desktop. Until I get around to eliminating some of the unecessary partitions... how can I set Fedora to mount only a few selected partitions? I thought this was done in fstabs, but I'm not going to touch it until I undertand what I'm doing. This article describes editing fstab, but their info does not match my fstab file:

UUID=7e373811-cad5-4bed-9865-b297c36e6ec6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    UUID=ba9d559c-bdf7-4103-8c5e-14f0709122e1 swap swap defaults 0 0
    UUID=49d9ef81-244d-425f-b6a5-ac940aed050f swap swap defaults 0 0

Can I create one swap partition and use it with other distros (eg ubuntu) on my multiboot system? Any downside to doing that?

Thanks
    System: Fedora 9, Asus M3A-Hdmi mobo, amd64 X2 5000+, 2gb RAM, IDE+SATA HDs(6), usb Microphone, multiboot (Fedora, xp, ubuntu). mobo has onboard ATI Radeon 3200 and Realtek audio.
    Fedora 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 Gnome 2.22.1
    Updated 6-3-08

Yes, you can share a swap partition between distros without any problems.

To tell fedora not to mount some of partitions during the startup, just add 'noauto' to the options for each of such partitions, so the config for it looks like
    Code:
    /dev/sdb2 /media/disk-3 ext3 defaults,noauto 0 0
    Ivan Cat (registered linux user #471784)
    Linux Projects: constat | nconv
    Fedora-related: Message In the Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by jadube
    My system has several HDs with multiple partitions. During boot, Fedora automounts all partitions and I get 11 drive icons that I'd rather not see on the desktop. Until I get around to eliminating some of the unecessary partitions... how can I set Fedora to mount only a few selected partitions? I thought this was done in fstabs, but I'm not going to touch it until I undertand what I'm doing. This article describes editing fstab, but their info does not match my fstab file:

UUID=7e373811-cad5-4bed-9865-b297c36e6ec6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    UUID=ba9d559c-bdf7-4103-8c5e-14f0709122e1 swap swap defaults 0 0
    UUID=49d9ef81-244d-425f-b6a5-ac940aed050f swap swap defaults 0 0

Can I create one swap partition and use it with other distros (eg ubuntu) on my multiboot system? Any downside to doing that?

Thanks
    Well, not sure all what you want to do, but.

don't touch the devpts, tmpfs, sysfs, or proc since the os uses those, and should never see them otherwise. As far as the swaps, yup, no reason you can't share the same swap partition with multiple distros. most distros use their own (what they made during the install) as well as searching and adding any swap they find on the drives. If you have a swap, say /dev/sda2, just have all the distros point to it in their fstab files, deleting any other swap entries. If none of you distros are using say /dev/sda6 for a swap, you can delete the /dev/sda6 partition. not that you need to, but if you need that extra 1-2 gb, then you need it.

I always replace the UUID part of the entry with the appropriate /dev/ entry, just to make future fstab editing easier. changing UUID=???etc. to /dev/sda? etc. just makes it more user readable

hope this helps
    extalis inconcessus sunt

use properties to apply 'noauto'

thanks for the replies and good info. I did wonder about the use/need for UUIDs - so glad to know I can replace that.

FYI - I found you can also set 'noauto' by rightclicking the mounted icon > Properties > Volume > Settings > Mount Options > enter "noauto"

But - I still don't know how to save the desktop arrangment of these icons. The session 'save current' option does not keep the 'mount' icons in the same place after reboot. Pls post if you know how to...

thanks
    Last edited by jadube; 4th June 2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: add info