FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Why is Fedora so big?

Not really a support question, but I'm genuinely curious as to why Fedora is such a massive download compared to, say, Ubuntu? The latter fits onto one CD, while this distro takes up six of the things, making downloading it a major project, particularly on my slow connection (usually involving spreading CD downloads over two months to avoid running up against my ISP's cap). What extra is included to make it six times the size of Ubuntu or other one-CD distros? It's one of the major things that puts me off switching from Ubuntu, despite Fedora seeming to fit my needs better; each new release is a huge download.
    Last edited by Phil Airtime; 13th May 2008 at 03:57 PM.

It's all about the locally available packages.

If you want a single CD similar to the *buntu download, get the fedora i686 LiveCD. It is the closest to the *buntu live/install CD.

For me is a great time-saver, my connection at home sucks, so I just tell a friend that has a high speed connection at his work that downloads it for me. The Fedora DVD has everything I need to work out of the box (minus qemu, mp3 support, and some video codecs) and minimizes the need to download libraries when installing new packages, also yum-presto make the updates incredibly small.
    I think that Fedora developers still think about users like me, so I hope they keep making those BIG releases .
    I'm back... again...

If you think Fedora is big, you should try Debian. :-)
    But it is just about which software is included in the default install and which isn't.
    Ubuntu simply excludes lots of software.

Why is Fedora so big?
    Because it's so chock full of Linuxy goodness!

I still download the DVD, always nice to have around. Live CD is handy too..

Why is Ubuntu so small :O
    - Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz, 16GB DDR4, Asus Z170-A, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB running Fedora 24 and Win 10

Just download the LiveCD.
    One disk rather than six.

Quote Originally Posted by juanfgs
    The Fedora DVD has everything I need to work out of the box (minus qemu, mp3 support, and some video codecs)
    Qemu is definitely on the DVD.

I wish the XViD and DiVX codecs were on there too.
    HP dv5000 1.8GHz F9......Apple G4 500MHz F8 (dev-box)......ASRock 2x 1.8GHz CentOS 5.2

I could download the DVD, but I don't have a machine to write it to an actual disc, so six CDs it is. The situation with the nVidia drivers gives me time to split the downloads across a few weeks while waiting for things to stabilise a bit, so it's a blessing in disguise!

Why don't you download the LiveCD like everyone suggests. It installs to the hard drive, either by clicking the 'install to hard drive' icon on the live desktop or pressing tab at the bootscreen and adding the parameter 'liveinst' or 'textinst' to directly install without even booting the LiveCD.

see http://docs.fedoraproject.org/releas...t-installation

Further packages can be installed afterwards using the package manager, and if you install yum-presto first this will further reduce your downloads.

The full cd or dvd install discs include many packages that you will probably never use.

You would be surprised how many programs fit on the Live CD.

Every package that is contained on the DVD or CDs can be installed easily from a Live CD installation.
    I think some people might have the misconception that the only way to get the packages included on the CD set is to use the CD set. There are TONS of packages on all of those CDs, and I doubt you will use even half of them.

Better to just install the Live CD and download and install the extras that you actually need.