FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

fedora live cd - multiboot usb

hi. i have a usb stick with multiple tools installed in separate partitions. the first partition contains grub which i use to boot each of the subsequent tools. id like to add the fedora live cd as another tool. i've used the livecd-iso-to-disk to install the tool into the partition and have added the following entry to my grub configuration :

title Boot Fedora-8-Live-i686
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz0 ro quiet liveimg rhgb
    initrd /isolinux/initrd0.img

if i boot from the usb stick and choose the fedora live cd option it starts booting the kernel but then throws the following message and drops into a shell :

WARNING: Cannot find root file system!

Create symlink /dev/root and then exit this shell to continue the boot sequence.

does anyone know what the problem is ? do i need to add another option to my grub config ? cheers.

You can't boot the livecd image from grub, you'd have to select the 'install to harddrive' option and install it on the usb stick, but you will need more than 4gb free (yup, I know that's annoying, why 4gb isn't enough is a mystery).
    I've done this on an 8GB SDHC card and all works fine, grub can now read the filesystem.

GRub is due to be upgraded this year to the imaginatively named grub2, beta testers report booting from iso9660 filesystems such as livecds.

edit
    sorry, I forgot you were booting from a usb stick not a livecd iso. OK, are you sure you have the directories correct, aren't vmlinuz0 and initrd0 in the syslinux directory (not isolinux)
    Last edited by sideways; 24th April 2008 at 05:37 PM.

hi. sorry, you are quite correct. i had been testing another method of simply copying the contents of the iso to the partition on the usb stick. either way the results in the same.

grub expects the root filesystem to be on an ext3 partition, if not you need to specify using rootfstype option on the kernel line, so add
    Code:
    rootfstype=vfat
    That works for me, but my usb stick is recognized as hd1 by grub, not hd0 (are you sure that bit is correct, you can drop into a grub command line by pressing 'c' and use tab to autocomplete the root line to check)

You also need to specify where root is, for me I added the option
    Code:
    root=/dev/sdb1
    Last edited by sideways; 24th April 2008 at 10:30 PM.

many thanks for the info. adding the two extra kernel parameters has fixed the problem.