FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Steam on Fedora 8 - Working, but where are the files???

Hello all, I just finished running though an installation of the .msi version of Steam, and it works, more or less, great. However, I have no idea where wine stuck the files... They are not under the hidden .wine file in my home folder, and when I search Steam, Steam.exe, or any other variation of the file, it is nowhere to be found... In order to start steam, I must go through the process of installing it, but choose to repair the installation, after which it auto-runs steam. Does anyone know where wine puts the files for steam? BTW, I tried to follow the outputs given in the terminal, and they point to the .wine folder under my home folder... but even with hidden folders turned on, there is no such directory.

Thank you in advance!

Johnny

I have been running the Steam engin install with the Orange box rather well.. played all of HalfLife so far but not Portal and TeamFortress ... the magic tool that does it is called Cedega and is based on wine

I am bet testing this tool, and it is really looking good.. if however you so not want to subscribe to the transgaming emulator.... I am not sure how to help you. Some people say that wine does work as is.... but I have ma doubts.. I am currently playing Civ IV in Linux .. what a dream.. soon playing games in Linux will become a bit more realistic.. but until then, we have to struggle along..

Good luck
    Whatever you do, will return to you three fold...

My Work Box
    My Home Box

Are you running the install of Steam as root? If so, the files are being dumped in /root/.wine/drive_c/......

Whenever installing something with wine you should be using your normal user account.

Try running this:
    Code:
    su -
    updatedb
    locate Steam.exe
    - Tom
    "What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." - Stirner

Thank you guies, I figured out the problem. It did install steam under root, so I was not seeing the files while logged into my personal account. I have not uninstalled the root installation, and reinstalled it under my account, and everything seems to be working correctly. Just FYI, more or less, Steam does work correctly directly with Wine. It is not perfect, but it is functional! Also, I was extreamly suprised to see that framerates are comprable... if not better, that what I was expierencing under windows. I have a fairly slow computer (celeron 1.4ghz, 768mb ram... ect), and I am having no issues running half life under 1280x800 on medium settings. This is better than I was seeing under windows, where I would have to tone the graphics down to low at 1040x768 resolution.

Thank you again, if anyone needs any help with this, I found a great tutorial at http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...=HOWTO%20Steam

Regards,
    Johnny England

haha, I take it back. Now, for some reason, my games wont boot... Steam loads fine, the games update fine, but when its goes to initiate the game, the little dialogue comes up saying "starting game", but then it disapears and nothing happens... has anyone had a similar expierence?

What game you playing dude ?? As Steam has a couple of different games in it..

My Work Box
    My Home Box

I am currently trying to get the origional Half-Life and Counter Strike working... they were playing fine just a short while ago, but then I changed the resolution in-game, and the game froze, closed out, and now will not start back up again... Any ideas?

As far as I know, unsupported resolutions will do this, somehow you would have to try to reset the games to the default resolutions again.. not sure where to do this in wine..

Cedega has all these settings in a GUI, so it makes it child play to change all these things..

I would try get the 800x600 res back again..

Sorry I can't help you more on the wine stuff... but if you find the solution, do post it here, so everyone can benefit from it..

My Work Box
    My Home Box