That was totally epic.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

That was totally epic.

I feel spent. Installed Slackware 12 the other day on my desktop (she doesn't get along well with F7 or F8 in i86 or x86_64). It hasn't been as scary as they say it is, thanks to SlackBuilds.org and LinuxPackages.net (not to mention stuff actually compiles!) Pkgtool is pretty cool, too.

But I ripped some DVDs on my laptop and wanted to encode them on my desktop with dual processors and generally more speed, so I decided to install dvd::rip on the desktop (would have taken forever to encode on the lappy).

Let's just say it wasn't as easy as yum --enablerepo=freshrpms install dvdrip!

Started by downloading dvdrip and figured, "what the heck, I'll just try building even though I know it will fail on ./configure because of deps." And it did - miserably. Of course, it's coded in perl, so I needed some perl modules. Not to mention I needed to update some libs. And install new dependencies - all of which had their own deps. Couldn't have done it without Slackbuilds.org.

And then, when I finally got dvd::rip itself to compile and install, I got a dialog upon launching that version 1.1.x of transcode isn't supported yet (in alpha, apparently). I figured, "hey, I've used alpha software before, so I'll give it a go." Well, previews of the raw DVD rip didn't work in XINE or any media player. So I tried encoding in dvd::rip anyway without a preview. Nope. More error messages than a Windows box.

Apparently, I had grabbed a slackware .tgz package from LinuxPackages that was built with alpha sources. So I removed that with pkgtool and build 1.0.4 of transcode from source (figuring I had nothing to lose). And of course compiling transcode needed a dep or two, but more Slackbuilds to the rescue.

This lack of package management is annoying, but I learned a lot, and I daresay it was a bit fun ploughing through it. As stupid as it sounds, it was time consuming (3 hours?), but I have this sense of accomplishment right now. Not bragging or anything, but it was kind of a cool moment when I got it working.

Transcoding from DVD to .ogm as we speak!

Whew. In the words of the great Mitch Hedberg, "I'm goin on break."

(As far as Slackware: brutally stable, beautifully simple, snappy, but kind of difficult.)
    - Tom
    "What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." - Stirner

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tjvanwyk
    As far as Slackware: brutally stable, beautifully simple, snappy, but kind of difficult.
    Sounds a bit like Windoze ...... except for the stable, simple and snappy bits.

Seriously, though, a well earned break by the sounds of it.
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.

"but kind of difficult"
    Welcome to slackware. Its only difficult to begin with and beleive me the thing runs for ever.

Of course if your new to linux in general its definately worth avoiding.

Ibbo
    A Hangover Lasts A Day, But Our Drunken Memories Last A Lifetime
    --
    Linux user #349545
    (GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

Quote Originally Posted by ibbo
    "but kind of difficult"
    Welcome to slackware. Its only difficult to begin with and beleive me the thing runs for ever.

Of course if your new to linux in general its definately worth avoiding.

Ibbo
    More I think about it, "difficult" might not be the whole story. Actually, it's mostly that you need to learn a different way of doing things and be mindful of the fact that you have to do a bit more dependency checking and legwork than you would with a package manager.

A way down the list is to run my first kernel recompile...
    - Tom

As they say. Know slackware know linux.
    Honestly get your head around slack and all other distro's simply fall into line.

The package management may not be upto yum or apt standards but slack is not a distro that targets your wanabee's (no offence intended) the likes of Ubuntu are for those guys.

And I find slackpkg quite adequate myself.

"A way down the list is to run my first kernel recompile"
    Ah bless, you thought a simple compile was trouble. he he make sure you read the xconfig (or which ever you use) correctly and include support for your hardware in module form or nothing will work as you expect and you will have to re-config and compile etc.

(bloody nightmare when you have no or little idea I'll tell you and it takes a good 1/2 hour to build). It could take days to get right if you attack it had hoc so think before you act.

Ibbo
    --
    Linux user #349545
    (GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

"A way down the list is to run my first kernel recompile"
    Ah bless, you thought a simple compile was trouble. he he make sure you read the xconfig (or which ever you use) correctly and include support for your hardware in module form or nothing will work as you expect and you will have to re-config and compile etc.

Ayup, I know. The thing is, I don't think I'm actually going to mess with it unless I really have to. Considering the time I've already put into it, it's not worth it because It Works (tm). I've started saving my .tgz packages built courtesy of SlackBuilds.org and I'm going to save them to DVD so future installs are easier, but I've invested a lot of time in this install already so I don't want to bork it with an amateurish attempt at kernel compiling.
    - Tom

You should also have a 2.6 Kernel on the dfisc someplace that you can install and play with. As I recall Slack still defaults to the 2.4.

Good luck with it.

Ibbo
    --
    Linux user #349545

You should also have a 2.6 Kernel on the dfisc someplace that you can install and play with. As I recall Slack still defaults to the 2.4.

Good luck with it.

Ibbo
    I think Slack 12 was the first version to default to 2.6.

I'm running:
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    2.6.21.5-smp
    - Tom