Newbie who LOVES this forum (and a question)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Newbie who LOVES this forum (and a question)

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new with Linux. I check this forum daily and I absolutely LOVE it. I've picked up a lot of good information. I can't believe how helpful and cooperative everyone seems to be. So don't let me down on my question below.

I had a local company install FC6 on my machine as a dual boot system. They later changed it to FC7. I upgraded myself to Fedora 8. My next challenge (based on what I've read on this forum) will be a clean install of Fedora 9.

I've been looking at posts concerning clean up of the /tmp directory. I've noticed several people saying that this cleanup is done automatically with tmpwatch. I'm not so sure that's true on my machine.

My tmpwatch (under /etc/cron.daily) looks like this:

#! /bin/sh
    /usr/sbin/tmpwatch -x /tmp/.X11-unix -x /tmp/.XIM-unix -x /tmp/.font-unix \
    -x /tmp/.ICE-unix -x /tmp/.Test-unix 10d /tmp
    /usr/sbin/tmpwatch 30d /var/tmp
    for d in /var/{cache/man,catman}/{cat?,X11R6/cat?,local/cat?}; do
    if [ -d "$d" ]; then
    /usr/sbin/tmpwatch -f 30d "$d"
    fi
    done

Am I reading this correctly? Is /tmp is being excluded from the cleanup? And if so, how do I change the script? Thank you in advance for any help you may have.

janicel700 Guest
    Sorry /tmp is not being excluded. It is set to unlink them after 10 days of no access. The subdirectories /tmp/.X11-unix, /tmp/.XIM-unix, /tmp/.font-unix, /tmp/.ICE-unix, /tmp/.Test-unix are excluded so that you don't lose your X connection from a overzealous tmpwatch killing your authentication information. Hope that helps.

Yes, that helps. I was hoping that /tmp was being cleaned up automatically which is sounds like it is. I need to look at things closer. I got confused because I was looking at the modification times instead of access times which tmpwatch uses. Also, I saw -x and thought that everything on that line was being excluded (failed to notice -x for each directory/file). Thank you for the reply...much appreciated.