NetworkManger shuts down eth0
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

NetworkManger shuts down eth0

I have installed FC8 on my workstation. As long as I do not have the NetworkManager service started the eth0 is up and I have internet connectivity. As soon as I start the NetworkManager service the eth0 is shut down and 'ifconfig' does not even display the interface. If I try 'ifconfig eth0 up' the interface is displayed but the interface does not acquire the IP address from the router. Please share with me any knowledge to debug this further and correct the problem (hopefully in my installation).

tapke Guest
    try /sbin/dhclient eth0 after ifconfig eth0 up
    of try /sbin/ifup eth0

Quote Originally Posted by virtualsrini
    I have installed FC8 on my workstation. As long as I do not have the NetworkManager service started the eth0 is up and I have internet connectivity. As soon as I start the NetworkManager service the eth0 is shut down and 'ifconfig' does not even display the interface. If I try 'ifconfig eth0 up' the interface is displayed but the interface does not acquire the IP address from the router. Please share with me any knowledge to debug this further and correct the problem (hopefully in my installation).
    If you are going to be using NetworkManager, the devices should be set to "not activate on boot" and should be set to "allow user to enable/disable device"

Thanks for all the responses so far. I never had this issue in FC7. Is this something new in FC8? Also, how do I set the option you have recommended?

stevea Guest
    They *ARE* still visible when you type "ifcong -a"; "down" interfaces only appear w/ the "-a" option.

I doubt that it matters if you allow users to "allow user to enable/disable device".
    The point is that the ifup/ifdown script system is "generally" separate from NM. Sadly there are some overlaps where you probably should use system-config-network for dhcp/dns config and setting hostname. Once NM is started you should allow it to config the interfaces. You can observe the settings w/ ifconfig, but you shouldn't change setting (like with up/down) b/c you are interfering w/ NM.

No matter - it has nothing to do with your problem. I assume that if you right click the NM icon that you have networking and wireless enabled.

NM will immediately shutdown all interfaces when it is started, but it will try to bring them up; first the wired interfaces, then the wireless; ponly leaving one interface up at a time. Once the interface is up it uses attempts to dhcp an address for the interface (after authentication/negotiation on a wireless).

*IF* you have a dhcp service, like a typical home router assigning IPs then NM should work fine.
    I am not aware of a trivial method to assign fixed IPs (like system-config-network allows )using NM. NM does NOT use the static addresses assigned in system-config-network; these are two mostly different and unrelated configuration methods. You'd probably have to set a fixed IP with a local dhcp service (dnsmasq is quite easy to configure). Perhaps you can config a fixed address in the dhclient.conf file - not sure.

[edit]

fwiw NM is extremely useful for wireless config, whether roaming or at a fixed location. I personally wouldn't bother on a wired LAN. NM will not handle systems w/ multiple active network connection (multi-homed systems).
    Last edited by stevea; 5th January 2008 at 04:18 PM.