Intel Wireless 3945, doesn't connect ?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    linickx Guest

Angry Intel Wireless 3945, doesn't connect ?

Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of F8, I have had my wireless working fine in F7 (HP Compaq NC6320), but I just can't get it connect now!

I've tried the fedora firmware and the "options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1" fix, I've also tried installing the dkms module (repos set via, fedorafaq.org), iwconfig show's wlan0 present and Network manager shows wireless networks in my area, but when I try to connect to my hidden wpa2 ssid I get get the password box pop-up repeatedly.

Can Anyone offer any advise?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought. Try un-hiding the SSID and see if you can connect. Also, I noticed you mentioned WPA. Search the forum here on a term like wpa. I seem to remember a few threads, one in particular about NetworkManager not liking WPA-PSK. I use it with pretty good success, but the connection does drop out much too often. Same adapter, IPW3945.
    Last edited by glennzo; 22nd December 2007 at 02:52 AM.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

linickx Guest
    thanks glennzo,

un-hiding the SSID did fix it, which is a shame as at work I won't be able to try that. Do you have better luck with the fedora driver or the intel firmware?

ta,
    Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No kidding? Great! That was more of an off-the-wall guess than anything else.

I guess my luck is with what's built into the kernel. I install nothing to get my wireless working. It's flaky today. Keeps disconnecting and refuses to reconnect. Just plugged in my lan cable minutes ago.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

linickx Guest
    Most of my problems are when actually trying to associate, once connected it's usually fine apart from when I'm running vmware or cisco's vpn client, but I think that's because those app's feck about with network stack.... I'll stick with the intel firmwere for now then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi !
    I've the same problem and the same card. It was working fine 3 days ago but now I have to be lucky to connect. really can't guess why. Sorry for the noobness but what does un-hiding ssid mean ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linickx
    thanks glennzo,

un-hiding the SSID did fix it, which is a shame as at work I won't be able to try that. Do you have better luck with the fedora driver or the intel firmware?

ta,
    Nick
    I always use whatever Fedora provides. It works pretty well. I do lose my connection often, which is annoying and it can be real tough to get it to re-connect. I sometimes just bow down and plug in the lan cable. That's OK when I'm sitting here at the desk but if I'm somewhere where there's only wireless I guess I'd have a problem.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by assalane
    Hi !
    I've the same problem and the same card. It was working fine 3 days ago but now I have to be lucky to connect. really can't guess why. Sorry for the noobness but what does un-hiding ssid mean ?
    In the settings for the router/wireless there's an option to broadcast wireless SSID. If you choose not to broadcast the SSID then it's considered hidden. It won't show up in a list of available wireless networks. See the attached screen shot of mine, Not hidden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-Basic Wireless Settings - Mozilla Firefox.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	14789  
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks !
    So it's just a router setting... ok, I'll comply with that.