system service boot oder
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    garbagedigger Guest

Lightbulb system service boot oder

How does one go about controlling the order of how each service starts up when fedora is booting?

I have a problem where a program tries to query MySql for some information but it does it before MySql starts so this causes the program to fail.

In the past I have used the chkconfig --levels 235 (application name) but I'm guessing this just tells what ever program you specific to always start up when fedora boots.

Would I have to edit a file to change the order maybe?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is your program called from? You could mess with the order using /etc/rc.d/rcX.d names, but it would be better to call your program after the init sequence, such as in rc.local.

stevea Guest
    grep chkconfig: /etc/init.d/*
    and you get lines like ...
    /etc/init.d/cups:# chkconfig: 2345 98 10

When you enable this service at any run level it creates links in /etc/rc.d/rcN.d/ called S98cups and K10cups
    All of the SnnXXXX files are executed in alphabetical order at startup.
    All the KxxXXXX files are executed in alpha-order at shutdown.

2 digit nums are the rule, and generally the Snum and Knum sum to about 100 unless you have a reason otherwise.

garbagedigger Guest
    It is a mydns program that connects to mysql to get database info needed. I suppose that is why the program "mydns" boots before "mysql," it is alphabetical.

garbagedigger Guest
    Talk about hacking the configuration for the service startup order.

So I did: ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d to view the contents of run level 5. I noticed S52mydns and an S64mysqld in the directory. Now this is a problem because mydns has a lower number so it boots before mysql.

I also noticed there were some open values between S64 and S70. So I created a file S68mydns and I put the contents the S52mydns into S68mydns. Besides this, S52mydns had: # chkconfig: 345 52 50 inside the file but I changed it to 68. Even though it is commented out, I thought I would update for consistency. I did a reboot and it worked; mydns started after mysql.

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm going to save the info on those directories for future reference.