FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Power Outage Protection

Yesterday I had to repair my Fedora installation due to a power outage by following the guide lines in the second post here here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...highlight=fsck

I was just wondering if there is a way besides a UPS to protect myself from going through that process again. It was really a pain.

My first kneejerk is to say no. If the power dies in the middle of a disk write, it's just plain going to break. A UPS is cheap insurance if you value your time, install and data.

This is what I use. http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...5468&CatId=233

Dan

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, an LCD monitor is a "must have" item. A few minutes of back-up time is pretty useless if you don't have enough power to run the monitor to start a healthy shutdown.
    Last edited by TangledWeb; 28th October 2007 at 02:46 AM.

leigh123linux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TangledWeb
    My first kneejerk is to say no. If the power dies in the middle of a disk write, it's just plain going to break. A UPS is cheap insurance if you value your time, install and data.

This is what I use. http://www.globalcomputer.com/applic...5468&CatId=233

Dan

Edit: Also, for what it's worth, an LCD monitor is a "must have" item. A few minutes of back-up time is pretty useless if you don't have enough power to run the monitor to start a healthy shutdown.
    My Belkin UPS has linux shutdown software that shuts done my install 5 minutes after power loss

That's a helluva good idea! Wish this one had some such software. In fact, there may be something like that in the regular fedora configuration. Haven't looked yet. With this LCD, I've got 30+ minutes to decide if I need to shut down, or just wait it out. Although usually I just shut down and take it as an opportunity to un-arse the chair for a while.

Dan

Yea that second option is what I'd be looking for, I wasn't home during the last outage. I guess I'll just have to do it. Seeing how I use to be a Windows user, what is the difference between Windows and Linux that allows Windows to survive a shutdown without using the operating system's shutdown function?

Quote Originally Posted by TangledWeb
    That's a helluva good idea! Wish this one had some such software. In fact, there may be something like that in the regular fedora configuration.
    Fedora includes Apcupsd and NUT for automatic UPS control.

A charmed life I guess.

In reality, if the power drops during a disk write, boith systems are going to suffer the same type of problems.

Thanks for the info, Markkuk. Greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by TangledWeb; 28th October 2007 at 12:13 PM.