FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Lightbulb What is the Lowest Consuming Power PC/Laptop that Can Run Fedore Core 7 ?

I am looking to install another Fedore Core server at home. It is going to be on 24/7, so my main requirement from it is that it would consume the least amount of energy possible.

It will mainly be used as a Samba server, but I do plan of using it for additional purposes such as a SCALIX server. Apache (for the home network only, not the Internet), MySQL and phpMyAdmin will be running there as well.

I will also ssh -X to it every once in a while (and invoke Emacs). It is not going to be used a development platform, however (i.e. no C++ compilations, etc.).

What is a suitable hardware solution that consumes the least amount of power while still satisfying the above?

Will a ThinkPad 600e laptop do?

Thanks,
    Erin

What do you think of 5 watts?

http://www.fit-pc.com/

Might be too whimpy? It's said to run gentoo and ubuntu, it should
    run fedora too.

Mark
    Last edited by marko; 3rd October 2007 at 05:04 AM.

Depending on what your requirements would be, I would suggest taking a look at some of the mini-ITX boards and figuring out if you can built a mini box out of that. They have extremely low power consumption (I believe in the <50 watt range). My only concern is that it might not be enough processing power for what you want to do, although i do know people who run squirrel mail servers off these.

Didn't Transmeta make a chip that was getting 6+ hours on a battery?

Haven't heard anything about them recently.

leigh123linux Guest
    The VIA C5 CPU are one of the lowest power consuming CPU's

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_ziff109800
    Last edited by leigh123linux; 3rd October 2007 at 09:41 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marko
    What do you think of 5 watts?
    http://www.fit-pc.com/
    Wow! I think of it very nicely. It's not cheap, but that's not the reason why unfortuntely I can't buy it: If you notice one of my requirements, it has to be able to run SCALIX. SCALIX does not say anything about minimum CPU speed, but it does say that it needs 1GB RAM minimum. The fit-pc comes with only 256 MB DDR (non expandable).

Please keep suggesting ideas/products - you have come up with a very interesting (and new to me) list.

Thanks,
    Erin

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by scotta3234
    Depending on what your requirements would be, I would suggest taking a look at some of the mini-ITX boards...
    Indeed, that's what I originally had in mind, as I am currently running Fedora Core 4 on a VIA EPIA M10000 with 512MB RAM. It runs nicely.

However:
    • It requires a (noisy) CPU fan. I am interested in a fanless solution (did I say Linksys WRT54GL?)

• I don't know (yet) how well this EPIA M10000 will handle Fedora Core 7. I think that I lucked out with Fedora Core 4.

• I prefer a non-VIA solution. I have yet to see a VIA product that is not annoyingly flawed with bugs and it has horrible tech support.

I am curious to know whether there are any creative ideas out there? Worst case I can always buy a used 1GHz/1GB laptop.

Thanks,
    Erin