FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    bytesniper Guest

colored bash prompts

This is nothing big but i figured i would share because i find this incredibly useful and i would think that anyone who spends any amount of time at the command line would appreciate this. Its a minor /etc/bashrc modification (idea borrowed from gentoo) that colors the bash prompt so that normal users are green and root is colored red. with minor modification the coloring can be changed to anything (example: members of certain groups are various colors or certain users are a specific color, etc )

in /etc/bashrc (in fedora 7) on line 37 you will see this:
    Code:
       [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
    that sets your local bash prompt. PS1 is the bash prompt environment variable, you can view what yours is set to with set | grep PS1

comment that line out by placing a "#" (no quotes) at the beginning of it. and on the next line paste (or enter) the following:
    Code:
    if [ $EUID == 0 ]; then
      [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;31m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \$\[\033[00m\] "
     else
      [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\] "
    fi
    and then save. close, and open up another terminal window to see how it worked.

joseph

Pretty cool, ill have to keep a copy of your post, id never of thought of doing that,

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    I have my own little page on it that goes into a bit more detail. (It covers zsh and ksh).

Yours is better for the beginner though, I tend to be too wordy.

Thumbs up Re: colored bash prompts

Quote Originally Posted by bytesniper
    This is nothing big but i figured i would share because i find this incredibly useful and i would think that anyone who spends any amount of time at the command line would appreciate this. Its a minor /etc/bashrc modification (idea borrowed from gentoo) that colors the bash prompt so that normal users are green and root is colored red. with minor modification the coloring can be changed to anything (example: members of certain groups are various colors or certain users are a specific color, etc )

in /etc/bashrc (in fedora 7) on line 37 you will see this:
    Code:
       [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="[\u@\h \W]\\$ "
    that sets your local bash prompt. PS1 is the bash prompt environment variable, you can view what yours is set to with set | grep PS1

comment that line out by placing a "#" (no quotes) at the beginning of it. and on the next line paste (or enter) the following:
    Code:
    if [ $EUID == 0 ]; then
      [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;31m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \$\[\033[00m\] "
     else
      [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \$\[\033[00m\] "
    fi
    and then save. close, and open up another terminal window to see how it worked.

joseph
    Joseph I was looking for something like this one and it works great, thank you very much!
    I also made a very small addition to your code, so I added a " \ " before $, to get the "$" sign for simple users and "#" sign for root.
    Take care.
    Code:
    if [ $EUID == 0 ]; then
      [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;31m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \\$\[\033[00m\] "
     else
      [ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \\$\[\033[00m\] "
    fi

Re: colored bash prompts

/etc/bash.rc does not match your /etc/bash.rc

The new way is to setup a SetPS1.sh as shown

vi /etc/profile.d/SetPS1.sh
    if [ $EUID == 0 ]; then
    PROMPT_COMMAND='[ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;31m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \W \\$\[\033[00m\] " '
    else
    PROMPT_COMMAND='[ "$PS1" = "\\s-\\v\\\$ " ] && PS1="\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[01;34m\] \w \\$\[\033[00m\] " '
    fi:
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 22nd April 2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: PROMPT_COMMAND
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

(In the Archlinux forums this is where an admin would pop in with an admonishment about necrobumping posts from over a decade ago, the advice therein very possibly outdated)

;-)
    Mind the gap.

not just in the Arch forum, the same applies here. if you have any colour scheme for bash questions or want to create a guide applicable to current command sets and terminology please do so in a new thread. this thread is closed and moved to the EOL section.