FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

installing FC 7 without boot loader. How ?

Hi , I've new pc and I want to use it only with FC 7 . Cant I install FC 7 without grub boot loader ? So just I turn my machine on it will directly boot fc without seeing that boring grub ?

thank you in advance .
    Last edited by Asel; 28th September 2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: replace grab with grub :) that's all :p

leigh123linux Guest
    You have to have a boot loader ( It can be grub or the windows bootloader )

Thank you leigh123@linux for your reply . So far ok . But why there an option (No boot loader ) in installation procedures ?

And if there anyway to not see that "boring" grub menu ?

leigh123linux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Asel
    Thank you leigh123@linux for your reply . So far ok . But why there an option (No boot loader ) in installation procedures ?

And if there anyway to not see that "boring" grub menu ?
    You can install grub to the root partition instead of the MBR ( i think this option is in advanced boot options )

You can alter the timeout to hide the grub menu ( try 1 instead of 5 )

Code:
    # grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
    #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
    #          root (hd4,2)
    #          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdd3
    #          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/sdd3
    default=0
    timeout=5
    splashimage=(hd4,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora (2.6.22.7-85.fc7)
            root (hd4,2)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.7-85.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1234 rhgb nodmraid quiet pci=routeirq
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.7-85.fc7.img
    title Fedora (2.6.22.6-81.fc7)
            root (hd4,2)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.6-81.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1234 rhgb nodmraid quiet pci=routeirq
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.6-81.fc7.img
    title Fedora (2.6.22.5-77.fc7)
            root (hd4,2)
            kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.5-77.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/1234 rhgb nodmraid quiet pci=routeirq
            initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.22.5-77.fc7.img
    Last edited by leigh123linux; 28th September 2007 at 09:38 AM.

stevea Guest
    Hi , I've new pc and I want to use it only with FC 7 . Cant I install FC 7 without grub boot loader ? So just I turn my machine on it will directly boot fc without seeing that boring grub ?

thank you in advance .
    You can comment out the splashscreen line and set the timeout to 1 or maybe 0 seconds in grub.conf. That should make grub less visible.

But why there an option (No boot loader ) in installation procedures ?
    That is there in case you want to launch Fedora with some other Linux distribution's boot loader. For example, if you already had Ubuntu installed and working, its boot loader could launch the Fedora kernel and initrd.img.

Thank you really really guys all for your valuable help .

I set timeout=0 and then ...... no boring (it's really boring for me ) grub not been seeing anymore !

stoat thank you for illustrate now I get it !

And I like to thank you guys again leigh123@linux ,stevea and stoat .

Dude, as leigh123@linux pointed out, You have to have bootloader! W/o that You can't boot a system - installed somewhere or external one...

No boot leader means that Fedora won't install any bootloader and You have to boot system yourself, like with some 3rd party bootloader or whatever else that suits...

I have laptop with Windoze and Fedora installed, no bootloader for Fedora, no entries in boot.ini for Fedora. As I didn't want to screw up MBR, I use grub boot CD with El Torito stage. When I need Fedora I boot up that CD, grub prompt appears and I have to enter kernel, initrd etc. manually. So, noone really notices that I have 2 OS, as w/o the CD it boots Windoze transparently and windoze can't recognize Linux partitions by default...
    Last edited by Kirurgs; 28th September 2007 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirurgs
    Dude, as leigh123@linux pointed out, You have to have bootloader! W/o that You can't boot a system - installed somewhere or external one...

No boot leader means that Fedora won't install any bootloader and You have to boot system yourself, like with some 3rd party bootloader or whatever else that suits...

I have laptop with Windoze and Fedora installed, no bootloader for Fedora, no entries in boot.ini for Fedora. As I didn't want to screw up MBR, I use grub boot CD with El Torito stage. When I need Fedora I boot up that CD, grub prompt appears and I have to enter kernel, initrd etc. manually. So, noone really notices that I have 2 OS, as w/o the CD it boots Windoze transparently and windoze can't recognize Linux partitions by default...
    Ok , but I didn't have any other OS only FC 7 . What I need is to not seeing that grub menu .And I've done that by editing "grub.conf" and set timeout to zero . And Now no boot menu displayed ! Fantastic !

And wish you tell me How to boot from grub boot CD ?
    Last edited by Asel; 29th September 2007 at 01:35 PM.