Install Fedora Without a CD
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 83
  1. #1
    tuxcantfly Guest

    Install Fedora Without a CD

    Main Website At http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    What This Does

    It's an installer for Windows or Linux users that lets you install Fedora (released versions 8 or 7, or the Rawhide development version) or CentOS (5.1) without a CD. The way it works is that a small (8 MB) installer places the PXE (netboot) version of the Fedora installer on your hard drive, and configures your boot loader, either NTLDR if using Windows, or GRUB if using Linux, to boot from the PXE installer, and downloads and installs Fedora from the net.

    Requirements

    You will need to either have a Windows (95-Vista) or Linux (any distro that uses GRUB) install already on your hard drive (or a USB drive if using the USB install mode). You'll also need an internet connection. Apart from that, the requirements are the same as the standard Fedora requirements.

    Instructions: Fedora 8

    Download the appropriate installer package from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=222386 (direct download for Windows version)

    Then, run the application, select your desired distro (Fedora) and version, the installation mode (select Hard Disk if simply attempting to install locally, or select USB Drive if you want to make a bootable USB drive) and reboot. A menu entry should appear in the boot menu, titled "UNetbootin". Select that entry, and boot. When asked for a source of installation media, select "FTP".

    You will then be prompted to specify a server and folder.

    server: download.fedora.redhat.com
    folder: pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os

    Or, if you would like to install 64-bit Fedora, for the folder, specify:

    folder: pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/x86_64/os

    Then, the main installer will start, and wait as Fedora is downloaded and installed.

    Instructions: Fedora Rawhide


    Download the Fedora Rawhide package, then follow the same instructions as above, only for the server and folder, put:

    server: download.fedora.redhat.com
    folder: pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os

    or, if you want a 64-bit install, for the folder, specify:

    folder: pub/fedora/linux/development/x86_64/os

    Instructions: Fedora 7

    Download the Fedora 7 package, then follow the same instructions as above, only for the server and folder, put:

    server: download.fedora.redhat.com
    folder: pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os

    or, if you want a 64-bit install, for the folder, specify:

    folder: pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/x86_64/os

    Instructions: CentOS 5.1

    Download the CentOS 5.1 package, then follow the same instructions as above, only for the server and folder, put:

    server: mirrors.kernel.org
    folder: centos/5.1/os/i386

    or, if you want a 64-bit install, for the folder, specify:

    folder: centos/5.1/os/x86_64

    Troubleshooting

    If you get an error like this:

    Code:
    could not retrieve images/stage2.img
    Try inputting the IP address of download.fedora.redhat.com into the "server" field instead. You can determine the IP address using:

    Code:
    host download.fedora.redhat.com
    More

    UNetbootin also supports Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Slackware, Arch Linux, and Debian. Post a reply if you need any help, new features, or another supported distro. The website is located at http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    Last edited by tuxcantfly; 19th April 2008 at 02:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    73
    Posts
    23,511
    Interesting option! Thanks for posting it - there have been a few questions that this might have been a solution for.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  3. #3
    John the train's Avatar
    John the train is offline Techno-Womble - Retired Community Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gloucestershire, U.K.
    Posts
    1,843
    I've tried the ' official ' F7 net-install but fell down on inputing the server/library details - couldn't work out what was wanted. Does this avoid that problem?
    To get the right answer, one must first ask the right question!
    Desktop F20 ( 64 bit )
    Laptop F20 ( 32 bit )

  4. #4
    tuxcantfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John the train
    I've tried the ' official ' F7 net-install but fell down on inputing the server/library details - couldn't work out what was wanted. Does this avoid that problem?
    Well if you select HTTP or FTP it should just download from the web, so that way you don't have to tinker with a local netboot server, the only downside is that if your web connection isn't fast then it will take a long time to download and install Fedora.

  5. #5
    John the train's Avatar
    John the train is offline Techno-Womble - Retired Community Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gloucestershire, U.K.
    Posts
    1,843
    To clarify my last post, when I select http in either UNetboot or the standard netinstall CD it prompts for website and Fedora directory. It is these that I can't seem to get right, and, surprisingly, neither can the ISO generated by Instalinux, which automates that part of the process. In both cases I get an error message ' Unable to retrieve... ' . Any thoughts?
    Edit. I'm connecting through a Zoom modem/router, could that or iptables be blocking access? Though I've DL'd from my local mirror before with no problems.
    Last edited by John the train; 6th September 2007 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Further information
    To get the right answer, one must first ask the right question!
    Desktop F20 ( 64 bit )
    Laptop F20 ( 32 bit )

  6. #6
    tuxcantfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by John the train
    To clarify my last post, when I select http in either UNetboot or the standard netinstall CD it prompts for website and Fedora directory. It is these that I can't seem to get right, and, surprisingly, neither can the ISO generated by Instalinux, which automates that part of the process. In both cases I get an error message ' Unable to retrieve... ' . Any thoughts?
    Edit. I'm connecting through a Zoom modem/router, could that or iptables be blocking access? Though I've DL'd from my local mirror before with no problems.
    That sounds like some issue with the connection. Maybe try connecting directly using ethernet for now (with no router), for the installation, and once it's installed, configure the router afterwards?

  7. #7
    HorchA3 Guest

    Is this similar to a Solaris Jumpstart

    I am just curious, is this similar to a Solaris Jumpstart Server Configuration. If it works as it appears to, thanks...I was wondering if this could be done in my lab.

  8. #8
    tuxcantfly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HorchA3
    I am just curious, is this similar to a Solaris Jumpstart Server Configuration. If it works as it appears to, thanks...I was wondering if this could be done in my lab.
    I haven't actually used Solaris Jumpstart for installing Solaris, but it seems similar to this; the only difference is that (from what I read) Solaris Jumpstart boots and fetches the installation files from a NFS server, while this boots the installer and fetches the installation files from the internet, so you don't need an NFS server.

  9. #9
    useResa Guest

    netinstall failure

    Quote Originally Posted by John the train
    To clarify my last post, when I select http in either UNetboot or the standard netinstall CD it prompts for website and Fedora directory.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly
    That sounds like some issue with the connection. Maybe try connecting directly using ethernet for now (with no router), for the installation, and once it's installed, configure the router afterwards?
    I was quite impressed by the netinstall for Fedora6 so I wanted to try the Fedora7 netinstall and ran into the same issue. What I noticed is the following, the boot.iso that I was using is of May 27, 2007 (and I have tried several ones) and they all stop at the indicated location.
    When selecting HTTP you have to enter the website and the directory on separate lines.
    When trying to locate the stage2.img between the website and the directory 2 slashes are being placed, resulting in the fact that it can not locate the file.

    Is there a way to circumvent this issue?

  10. #10
    John the train's Avatar
    John the train is offline Techno-Womble - Retired Community Manager
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gloucestershire, U.K.
    Posts
    1,843
    Quote Originally Posted by useResa
    I was quite impressed by the netinstall for Fedora6 so I wanted to try the Fedora7 netinstall and ran into the same issue. What I noticed is the following, the boot.iso that I was using is of May 27, 2007 (and I have tried several ones) and they all stop at the indicated location.
    When selecting HTTP you have to enter the website and the directory on separate lines.
    When trying to locate the stage2.img between the website and the directory 2 slashes are being placed, resulting in the fact that it can not locate the file.

    Is there a way to circumvent this issue?
    That is the same problem that I encountered, though as I'd never done a net-install on Fedora I didn't know what was ' normal ', so couldn't fully explain where the problem was.
    Last edited by John the train; 15th September 2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: typo.
    To get the right answer, one must first ask the right question!
    Desktop F20 ( 64 bit )
    Laptop F20 ( 32 bit )

  11. #11
    useResa Guest
    I thought the "Installation help" was a more appropriate section for this issue, therefore I have created the following thread: "Fedora7 netinstall failure".

  12. #12
    tuxcantfly Guest
    @useResa, John the train, and anyone else having issues with specifying the server location:

    select FTP

    server: download.fedora.redhat.com
    folder: pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os

    Hope that solves the problem, I've updated the first post accordingly

  13. #13
    tuxcantfly Guest
    also, as mentioned in http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=166570 if you get an error like this:

    Code:
    could not retrieve images/stage2.img
    when using the download.fedora.redhat.com server, try inputting the IP address in the server field instead; you can determine it using either:

    Code:
    ping download.fedora.redhat.com
    or

    Code:
    telnet download.fedora.redhat.com

  14. #14
    useResa Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly
    @useResa, John the train, and anyone else having issues with specifying the server location:
    select FTP
    server: download.fedora.redhat.com
    folder: pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os
    FTP -- unfortunately provides the same error, therefor AFAIK the only solution currently available is:
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxcantfly
    inputting the IP address in the server field instead
    As you have indicated.

    Would it be an idea to indicate the IP address as well in your first post?

  15. #15
    tuxcantfly Guest
    I've uploaded some 64-bit Fedora UNetbootin builds. Check the download page... Since the packages are all marked as "noarch/all", you don't need to necessarily install 32-bit from a 32-bit OS, or 64-bit from a 64-bit OS; you can install 64-bit if your processor is capable of it (amd64 or intel core2 and above), even if you're running a 32-bit Windows or Linux install.

    Also, if anybody's interested in trying out the Fedora 8 test builds with UNetbootin, see the bottom of the website at http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html which describes how to make those packages. I'll upload official packages once Fedora 8 is released in November.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 6th May 2010, 12:23 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th May 2009, 07:20 AM
  3. Fedora 10 default install fails with ATI 4850 graphics card (but text install works)
    By Jeff72 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th January 2009, 06:27 PM
  4. Trying to install Fedora 9, can't enter GUI install + no driver found
    By Adamantus in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th November 2008, 05:23 PM
  5. Fedora 9 hands during install in Transfer Install Image
    By ciper in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 12:05 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •