FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

yum upgrade fails

I thought it might be time to make sure everything is updated.

I did
    yum upgrade

It fails with the error:

Error: Missing Dependency: kdemultimedia3 >= 3.5.7 is needed by package kdemultimedia-extras-nonfree

I tried
    yum install kdemultimedia3
    and it can't find the package.

What should I do now?

Wayne Guest
    yum update

Wayne

Hello:

IIRC, I had this problem for a long time, using FC6 and the KDE Project repos with the standard Fedora repos. Mixing KDE Project and Livna repos didn't help me. The updated version of kdemultimedia conflicted with the installed version of kdemultimedia-extras (I'm pretty sure that's why you're getting the missing dependency error). "yum install kdemultimedia3" probably fails because you already have that package installed (it's a prerequisite for kdemultimedia-extras[-nonfree]). For a while, I just edited /etc/yum.conf and put kdemultimedia* on the global exclude list. About a week ago, I got tired of this "bandage" fix, and ended up removing the road-blocking kdemultimedia packages with "rpm -ev --nodeps kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-extras", then immediately reinstalling both with the latest versions. Works now for me.

Regards,
    V

Quote Originally Posted by rondonjin
    yum update

Wayne
    This fails with the exact same error.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlingler
    Hello:

IIRC, I had this problem for a long time, using FC6 and the KDE Project repos with the standard Fedora repos. Mixing KDE Project and Livna repos didn't help me. The updated version of kdemultimedia conflicted with the installed version of kdemultimedia-extras (I'm pretty sure that's why you're getting the missing dependency error). "yum install kdemultimedia3" probably fails because you already have that package installed (it's a prerequisite for kdemultimedia-extras[-nonfree]). For a while, I just edited /etc/yum.conf and put kdemultimedia* on the global exclude list. About a week ago, I got tired of this "bandage" fix, and ended up removing the road-blocking kdemultimedia packages with "rpm -ev --nodeps kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-extras", then immediately reinstalling both with the latest versions. Works now for me.

Regards,
    V
    I tired adding the exclude list to /etc/yum.conf but I get this error now:

CRITICAL:yum.clionfig Error: Parsing file failed: File contains parsing errors: file:///etc/yum.conf
    [line 11]: 'exclude kdemultimedia*\n'

I really would rather not remove and reinstall the packages. It was a nightmare to get all the multimedia up and running and I just don't want to have to repeat that.
    Last edited by stry_cat; 14th August 2007 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stry_cat
    I tired adding the exclude list to /etc/yum.conf but I get this error now:

CRITICAL:yum.clionfig Error: Parsing file failed: File contains parsing errors: file:///etc/yum.conf
    [line 11]: 'exclude kdemultimedia*\n'
    Hello:

Incorrect syntax:
    Code:
    exclude=kdemultimedia*
    V

leigh123linux Guest
    try

su -
    yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update kde*

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
    try

su -
    yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update kde*
    This works. I had the same dependency problem when I updated today.
    Fedora 8
    Slackware 12

Quote Originally Posted by Hlingler
    Hello:

Incorrect syntax:
    Code:
    exclude=kdemultimedia*
    V
    Ok this seems to have worked. At least it let me upgrade the rest of my packages.

Just for kicks, I removed this line today and it doesn't seem to have the error I was getting. I noticed one package was from the livna repo and another from the updates repo. I know I read something about livna not being compatible with other repos. Did I stumble into that sort of problem. Should I go ahead and let yum upgrade the kdemultimedia* packages now?

Thanks.

Hello:

You can always try....If that doesn't work, either return to excluding it, or if you're game, try to update with the updates-testing repo enabled as per Leigh's post above.

Regards,
    Vince