Office 2007 and OpenOffice
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Office 2007 and OpenOffice

I have been looking around and, as far as I can tell, there isn't any way to open
    Office 2007 documents in OpenOffice. I realize Office 2007 has a compatibility
    feature, but many of the documents I receive these days are 2007-only and
    it's a pain to request a compatibility version from each person that sends me
    office files.

Is there a GNU/Linux plug-in or standalone program that can translate Office 2007
    files into another format?
    Registered Linux User # 373325

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a bit of Office 2007 here at work, but everybody here is set to use the older file format (.doc). I'm surprised you are getting a large percentage that are already saving in the 2007 format already.

I expect a future release of Open Office to support this "so called Open" file format in a later release.
    RHCE and MCSE systems administrator
    Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
    Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for your quick replies. I'll try the OpenOffice converter from Novell.

It isn't that I get a high percentage of Office 2007 documents, but the volume is increasing. I
    went from zero in June to having several a day in July. Some of the senders don't realize they're
    using the new format and don't understand that documents can be saved in different formats.
    So explaining the compatibility issue can be a pain. Hopefully this will work.

Thanks again.
    Registered Linux User # 373325

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with "Save As .doc" in MSO 2007 is that it screws up the formatting if you do anything remotely more than the basics. My goodness, it pissed me off at work the other day when I typed up a whole nice instruction document for a program install only to find that Microsoft's own document converter can't convert worth beans . And don't even get me started on the new interface. Anyway, the point is that, if you're using 2007, you probably should stick with OOXML, unless you want to check all your documents in a Word 2003 Viewer. OO.o does a better job of saving as Word .doc .

EDIT: And I found it very difficult to even find the option to save as a different format than OOXML.
    Something new coming to this space soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnafu the Great
    The problem with "Save As .doc" in MSO 2007 is that it screws up the formatting if you do anything remotely more than the basics. My goodness, it pissed me off at work the other day when I typed up a whole nice instruction document for a program install only to find that Microsoft's own document converter can't convert worth beans . And don't even get me started on the new interface. Anyway, the point is that, if you're
    Ahhh... But you're missing the point, that's their tactic to force users to switch file format... Alas it screws up so bad, that quite a lot of companies have forsaken the format in favor of .doc, as many of them have large collections of .doc files and templates.
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with gnafu that the interface can really leave a negative impression. I've never been a power user or huge fan of Office, but at least I could find what I wanted. Now it seems like I spent more time searching for commands that ever before.

MS touts the interface as intuitive...but that doesn't seem to corroborate the experience that my users have had on the network when using Office 2007. I certainly hope that Open Office doesn't in any way try to model a new interface after the new office layout.
    RHCE and MCSE systems administrator
    Registered Linux User #375155 For More Info or to register yourself

My Linux box is:
    Ubuntu 8.04, Antec Sonata II case with 450-watt PS, AMD 64 X2 4600+ (65 watt), 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 18X Lite-On DVD burner, Asus M2NPV-VM, Nvidia GeForce 7600GT (256MB), 320GB Western Digital SATA 3.0Gbps, Logitech MX-310, Dell 18" ultrasharp LCD, Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and 2.1 Boston Acoustics sound system..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.openoffice.org/servlets/R...s&msgNo=141945
    But doesn't say any date, only that they are working on it.

More about Office Open XML:
    http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/...ffice_Open_XML

TeamZissou Guest
    Is the new MS Office using an entirely new extension than .doc?

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <mumbling and spitting>
    I hate office 2007. <screws up face even tighter> Yeah, hate it. Y'all hit on the points. Cant even save on office 97, me, xp format, screws even that up. Simple formatting, just basic footnotes and stuff. And the interface...dont get me started...ugh, stupid MS...dumb, dumb, dumb...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
    <mumbling and spitting>
    I hate office 2007. <screws up face even tighter> Yeah, hate it. Y'all hit on the points. Cant even save on office 97, me, xp format, screws even that up. Simple formatting, just basic footnotes and stuff. And the interface...dont get me started...ugh, stupid MS...dumb, dumb, dumb...
    Ha, it's like we're related, we have so much in common .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should take them through the Mass supreme court for monopolistic tactics and fudging up on their OASIS agreements.

JeffZZZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats MS Office?
    A Hangover Lasts A Day, But Our Drunken Memories Last A Lifetime
    --
    Linux user #349545
    (GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbo
    Whats MS Office?
    It's kind of like Anakin Skywalker. It used to be good, though kind of arrogant, but now it's just pure evil .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah the forces of good will prevalil young Jedi! you just got to wait untill it happens.
    A Hangover Lasts A Day, But Our Drunken Memories Last A Lifetime
    --
    Linux user #349545
    (GNU/Linux)iD8DBQBAzWjX+MZAIjBWXGURAmflAKCntuBbuKCWenpm XoA7LNydllVQOwCfdjyzXscddzQvlhBedAcD7qfKmHo==zx0H

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast