FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 5 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paul matthijsse
    Ubuntu 7 (Feisty) here since about two months, after two years of FC 4-5-6 on a daily basis. What I particularly like about Ubu is how it handles the multimedia codecs. After installing Ubu (from a 700 MB iso only) one only has to click on a mp3 or avi file. Then it says: "don't have the codecs for this, do you want me to search for them?". Yes. Then it proposes two gstreamer plugins (dirty and ugly I believe) and you say, Yes install that. Then it says in some countries this is illegal / do you want to continue, Yes of course, and then it is installed. From now on (nearly) all the audio and video works. This takes only a couple of seconds. I love this approach.

Other goodies about Feisty: apt-get / Synaptic is fast, way faster than yum/yumex/pirut. No LVM, thanks heaven. Wacom pen works out of the box, even the right-click button (never could make that working in Fedora). Faster startup and shutdown.

Weaker points of Ubu: Where is my security? In Fedora, especially in v7, one has a very granular control over security settings, this is missing in Ubu. That does not mean by default that Ubu is less secure than Fedora, but perhaps it is, donno exactly. No security problems experienced since the install, though. Suspend works on my new machine (Intel Core Duo), resume does not though (although on my last Athlon64 it worked perfectly, as opposed to Fedora).

And: Where are my services? System-config-services does not exist on Ubu. There is a thing where you can tell that some services must start at boot time, but only a couple of them, like bluetooth and syslog.

Bottomline: two very good (top quality) distro's aimed at two different audiences. For the moment Ubu Feisty 7 is my main distro, aside I use Fedora 7 and Ubu 7 64-bit.

Cheers, Paul.
    I like Ubuntu's simplicity too, but I like even more the way it handles Beryl + XGL in my crappy ATI card, it is absolutely astounding.

I don't like, however, the way it handles services (too simplistic). Besides it seems more easy to break than Fedora (I had to keep the older kernel because the new one bugged the hell out of it).

I am thankful to Feisty because it allowed me to save all my data the day FC6 let me down (would not boot anymore) in my laptop; in fact it survived and allowed me continue managing my system.

Anyway I don't use it that much, instead I use Debian Etch (FC6's replacement, I don't wanna run into unnecessary trouble with F7 and fglrx); Feisty remains my backup/back door Linux system. I also use it when I want to amaze somebody with Linux's 3D eye candy.

Joe.
    Notebook: Samsung NP355 V4C
    AMD A6 VISION 4400M APU @ 2.7GHz, 4GB DDR3,
    1TB Toshiba HDD, TSSTcorp DVD-RW.
    Debian 9 x86-64.

Plan 9 (which is not Linux, but Plan 9)... very different from anything else I've looked at.
    I am not a lawyer.
    Fedora: AMD Phenom II 905e @ 4x2500 MHz, Raspberry Pi B 512 MB @ 1x800 MHz, Raspberry Pi B 256 MB @ 1x700 MHz
    Debian: BeagleBoard xM @ 1x1000 MHz, Apple PowerMac G5 @ 2x1800 MHZ

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Stian, here's the official word on LVM: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...oning-lvm.html It's fine for many people, but if you're planning to install multiple distros, then I'd use ext3 instead. For one thing, another distro won't utilize the LVM swap, so you'll have to set up an additional swap space and LILO borks at LVM. Just a couple of problems you can avoid with ext.3.

As to Kathera, you were probably trying to burn either the X86_64 version of the Live CD which is too large for normal CD's or perhaps the DVD image. I sent you a PM with locations of the normal Live CD's, but for anyone else, they're located on any of the mirror sites under Releases>7>Live>i386
    yeah it was the X86_64, I am installing that other one, though I am unsure if its compatible with my computers architecture, my mother board is an intell pentium 4 so I am wondering if its compatable with my computer.

Currently playing around with Arch linux on a spare partition and try to fix some things here and there all the time, thus I read the arch wiki more that I post here atm. Not a bad distro but I guess it will not replace fedora on my systems. My good old fedora is btw still rock solid. Thus I didn't have to frequent this forum a lot during the past few months, which is - from a certain point of view - a pity.
    Powered by Fedora & CentOS | Windows-free since 2002

I am a Gentoo user of 3 years or so. I use gentoo for my workstation, debian for servers, openwrt for routers, and i am studying the ins and outs of fedora for fun. I was using the *buntu's to see what they offer and i personally like its simplicity for "starting out users" but it also has its quirks. So far fedora has pleased my taste for something new.

And after reading the posts about gentoo I do have to say yes recompiling world can be a pain and it does seem to take forever but once you install, then recompile world once, the next updates are like butter unless you have a riced out /etc/make.conf.
    Last edited by davascript; 24th July 2007 at 10:35 PM.

I'm currently trying out Puppy Linux 2.17 in QEMU at work (I'm posting this from SeaMonkey right now). Very quick and responsive with a very Windows 95-ish interface . But seriously, I could see myself using this as a compact live distro in a pinch; I might even set up my 128MB flash drive with it . It's like DSL but newer and with a lot more stuff.
    Something new coming to this space soon...

bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Puppy and Damn Small Linux are two excellent distros that are amazing with their abilities in such a small package. My only problem has been that my old HP656C printer isn't in the list and adding it is a bit of a pain. Otherwise, those distros are perfect for almost any normal task.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Puppy and Damn Small Linux are two excellent distros that are amazing with their abilities in such a small package. My only problem has been that my old HP656C printer isn't in the list and adding it is a bit of a pain. Otherwise, those distros are perfect for almost any normal task.
    I'm really liking it; it's surprisingly smooth, even in the virtual machine. I'd say it's quicker than the native Windows XP install on this computer . And SeaMonkey is surfing along noticeably quicker than IE6. I'm totally lovin' this .

EDIT: And now back to XP 'til work's done (though I may load up Puppy once more before the day is through). It's always nice to get home to Fedora after a hard day's work .
    Last edited by Gnafu the Great; 26th July 2007 at 05:20 PM.

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    hmm...Mandribble spring 2007.....Cant say I'm very impressed. OK, I am actually a little mad but I am sure it's my own doing. I wanted to check out Metisse so I shrunk Patricks CEUbuntu partition and dual booted on his 3D nVidia equipped box. Well, it didnt like the "nv" driver...big surprise. So I changed to vesa and got in the door ok. But now I need to install the nVidia driver and I am chasing my tail. Are the easyurpmi repos the subscription based ones? Anyway, other than that I think it is pretty slick. By that same token I hate it. It is very "unLinux" like. I dont like flashy icons and GUI tools that have more functions than a swiss army knife. But I can see where it might attract a beginner. No sir, not me! I am sticking with Fedora...

Quote Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
    hmm...Mandribble spring 2007.....Cant say I'm very impressed. OK, I am actually a little mad but I am sure it's my own doing. I wanted to check out Metisse so I shrunk Patricks CEUbuntu partition and dual booted on his 3D nVidia equipped box. Well, it didnt like the "nv" driver...big surprise. So I changed to vesa and got in the door ok. But now I need to install the nVidia driver and I am chasing my tail. Are the easyurpmi repos the subscription based ones? Anyway, other than that I think it is pretty slick. By that same token I hate it. It is very "unLinux" like. I dont like flashy icons and GUI tools that have more functions than a swiss army knife. But I can see where it might attract a beginner. No sir, not me! I am sticking with Fedora...
    That reminds me: I still have a 3-CD set for Mandrake 9.1 from back when I was going to try Linux but didn't have a computer to run it on. I've been meaning to try it out in a virtual machine for a blast to/from the past. I'll let y'all know how it goes .

EDIT: Ha! Installation went smoothly enough; very Windows-like. It didn't automatically detect QEMU's graphics chip (a Cirrus 5446), so I set it manually at the end of install. After that, reboot. X didn't start automatically and freaked out when I logged in and ran "startx." It's not worth my work to get it working :P. I imagine it would work better on real hardware. Anyway, lesson learned, back to playing with modern distros .

EDIT 2: So I lied. I'm installing Fedora Core 2, but only because 1 is no longer available on Red Hat's mirror .

EDIT 3: Nevermind, I lost interest already. It's hot and I'm kinda ADD right now. I'm gonna go back to playing with new stuffs, if I play with anything at all.
    Last edited by Gnafu the Great; 28th July 2007 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TangledWeb
    Pulling Solaris down tonight.
    What were your impressions of it, Dan? I've wanted to use it, but I've heard hardware support is not good at all.
    Fedora 8
    Slackware 12

Quote Originally Posted by TangledWeb
    Haven't got it installed yet. Life intervened.
    A stable address is more important? OK, if you insist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300px-Will_work_for_interweb.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	12917  
    Fedora 8
    Slackware 12

I swear, I have never hit a woman before but I want to figuratively slap the .tar.gz out of that woman!
    fixed.

Now, let me hit submit and go make a sandwich.

yeah, thats right. go make a sandwich.
    http://www.xkcd.com/149/
    http://www.xkcd.com/293/

unvirtualized, in order:

knoppix boot CD
    ubuntu 5.10
    fedora core 5
    fedora core 6
    debian etch
    debian sid
    debian lenny
    gentoo (failed)
    LFS (failed)
    fedora 7

right now i'm just using fedora 7, and i've been too lazy to do anything else. i think i still have fedora core 6 and debian, and pieces of LFS.

as virtualized machines or livecd's, i've tried:

freeBSD
    suse (ugh)
    solaris
    sabayon
    kateOS
    DSL
    gparted livecd
    centOS
    mint linux
    ubuntu studio
    gentoo (failed)

I want to try gentoo and LFS again, as well as try sidux and maybe some other distros.

I originally wanted to install solaris outside of vmware, but i hated the installer. it had a strange partition naming convention, and wouldn't recognize extended partitions, so i couldn't get it to utilize my swap partition.

when i get my laptop, i'll be putting fedora 7 on it for sure. i may also go with debian (i havent decided on a version yet, lenny was a bit unstable when i tried it right when it came out... sid was actually more stable for me). I may want to give either gentoo or sabayon another try, and *maybe* LFS.

gentoo and LFS seem to hate me though. I first tried installing gentoo in a VM with the minimal install CD. I had to install from the terminal and download a stage 3 tarball through links. and the tarball ended up being corrupted, it had an error during extraction.

I tried installing gentoo twice on my hard drive using the 2007 livecd, which was easier, but setting the USE flags was confusing, then the compilation ended up failing. so i gave up on gentoo for the time being again.

LFS just got sort of confusing eventually, and then a compilation failed and i didn't know what the problem was. so i gave up, for the time being. i want to try again some time.
    http://www.xkcd.com/149/
    http://www.xkcd.com/293/

Page 5 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast