FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 181 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Stian, here's the official word on LVM: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...oning-lvm.html It's fine for many people, but if you're planning to install multiple distros, then I'd use ext3 instead. For one thing, another distro won't utilize the LVM swap, so you'll have to set up an additional swap space and LILO borks at LVM. Just a couple of problems you can avoid with ext.3.

As to Kathera, you were probably trying to burn either the X86_64 version of the Live CD which is too large for normal CD's or perhaps the DVD image. I sent you a PM with locations of the normal Live CD's, but for anyone else, they're located on any of the mirror sites under Releases>7>Live>i386
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    Quote Originally Posted by fvs
    I've used quite a lot of distros, I'm using Fedora 7 on my primary partition and Debian Etch on my secondary, I like them both, I've bounced around with Slackware which was also good, but I'm not a fan of KDE which seems bloated. I'm using wine in my distros and trying to see which is more compatible with it. Also like Linux/Mint.
    Love Linux.
    I'm not a fan of Gnome either, which also seems bloated.

I have been stuck on fedora since I started with fc5. Just got an old dell c400 with only and ext cd and a usb dvd set up with F7. I have had some trouble with gnome on both, my desktop and the laptop. Any others out there have problems logging in and shutting down. When I changed to only using root and kde the problems went away. ejn

oh no, please dont run as root dude! That is just asking for problems. Hey, try installing XFCE, look at my screenshots above. Granted this is modified a bit, but XFCE is like a lightweight Gnome and is the best bet (next to fluxbox) for what you are running.

BTW, AAAAA-EEEEEEEEEE

Trying to keep in the spirit of this thread started by Gnafu the Great, here is my contribution.

I actually installed Ubuntu this last weekend while a typhoon was coming from the South and an earthquake from the East. As far I could judge, all was quiet on our Northern and Eastern sides, fortunately, which gave us a little bit of respite.

Distro: Ubuntu

Reason for trying: "I was bored and it sounded like fun" (=Gnafu the Great's exact words, if I may be allowed to borrow them)

Other distros tried recently: none (other than F7, of course)

Impressions so far: the install was simple and straightforward. I liked the way Ubuntu detected my GF 7600 GS and offered to install the relevant driver, which was done in two seconds. It came with a warning, however: "Not supported by Ubuntu and may generate conflicts" (I do not remember the exact and somewhat ominous wording). Installing the right applis and codecs to read DVDs was pretty close to what needs to be done in F7.

But I am happy to be back on Fedora. Why? Maybe I am just used to it? Maybe there is that little something missing on Ubuntu? Maybe it is just a question of personal taste.

Hobashira

Yeah. the brown 'buntu works ok ... but it's ... so ... brown! <....>

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
    oh no, please dont run as root dude! That is just asking for problems. Hey, try installing XFCE, look at my screenshots above. Granted this is modified a bit, but XFCE is like a lightweight Gnome and is the best bet (next to fluxbox) for what you are running.

BTW, AAAAA-EEEEEEEEEE
    Looks good. Thanks for the advice. Where do I get it? ejn

I've switched from openSUSE few weeks ago to Fedora 7 so actually F7 is my testing distribution right now because I'm quite new into it (I had short experience with FC6 though). I'm disappointed a bit because F7 is not as stable as I wish it to be on my Desktop (here is described my problem if you are interested http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...d.php?t=160891). However I love how Fedora treats Gnome, I have access to "zillions" of small and big packages which fit perfectly in Gnome (are Gtk based). I like idea of SELinux although I don't understand it (yet) at all. Of course great community and free software values also make F7 interesting choice. I hope to fix my one big problem and few small bugs and stay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ovadyah
    Looks good. Thanks for the advice. Where do I get it? ejn
    The easiest way is just to open the add/remove packages (pirut) app that is already in your menu. It will be right there on the first page that opens. Be sure to click on the entry though to get to the optional packages. Alternatly, if you havent yet, open a terminal and:

su
    (your root password)
    yum install yumex

This is a better front end for yum than Pirut is. In here just scroll down to the XFCE packages in the available tab. Also be sure to collect thunar and thunar-volman too.

Gentoo - still tryng to get it running correctly (can't get the kernel to compile with out erros)
    CentOS - Done and left it running (no prblems so far) uptime 6 mo 5 days
    Fedora - Every day use

Soon to come - Slackware and Solaris
    If you know how to do something in Fedora or how to do it better, please help us at Fedora Wiki.

Registered Linux user number 433760

I'm about to try out the first alpha release of Damn Small Linux 4.0 (see http://www.distrowatch.com/). Should be interesting . I love QEMU: it allows me to run Linux at work ^^.

EDIT: So far, so different. A lot has changed, but I'm likin' it . If you've done DSL before, try it now .
    Last edited by Gnafu the Great; 17th July 2007 at 06:14 PM.
    Something new coming to this space soon...

San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
    What is Linus Torvalds running?
    So I’ve used SuSE, Red Hat, Ubuntu, YDL (I ran my main setup on PowerPC-based machines for a while, and YDL - Yellow Dog Linux - ended up the easiest choice). Right now, most of my machines seem to have Fedora 7 on then, but that’s only a statement of fact, not meant to be that I think it’s necessarily “better” than the other distros.
    from an article : http://www.oneopensource.it/interview-linus-torvalds/
    sailor
    San Antonio, Texas

"Still hanging in there "

Quote Originally Posted by sailor
    What is Linus Torvalds running?

from an article : http://www.oneopensource.it/interview-linus-torvalds/
    Awesome . It's a shame he hasn't tried Debian, though. I didn't find it difficult to install, even in "expert" mode. Gentoo, on the other hand...
    Something new coming to this space soon...

Main distribution: Fedora 7. I have been using Red Hat and Fedora since Red Hat 6, and I have a very strong feeling that Fedora will always remain my main distribution.

Recently tried out: Gentoo

Reason for trying it out: I wanted to see if Gentoo is really the fastest and most responsive distribution of all.

Impressions of Gentoo: Somewhat mixed.

I will concede that Gentoo is more responsive. Firefox and OpenOffice.org do open up more quickly in Gentoo than in Fedora. However, we must keep in mind that my installation of Gentoo wasn't running nearly as many services as my installation of Fedora.

Portage and emerge are nice--as long as they work well. After I finished my Stage 3 installation I ran "emerge --sync" and then "emerge -uavDN world." About midway into the process emerge quit after printing an error message about not being able to find properly configured sources in /usr/src/linux. Well, I copied the current configuration in /proc/config.gz to /usr/src/linux and emerged world again. This time emerge completed its very lengthy task without any more errors.

But then I was confronted with a different problem: that of merging config files in /etc/. A utility called dispatch-conf merged a few of them automatically, but most of the merging operations required intervention from me. I had two options: either to check the output from diff and then merge the lines manually, or to "zap" the new config files and retain the old settings.

I thought that for a new Gentoo user like me, the second option would be less arduous--not to mention less prone to error. In any case, I was perfectly happy with my old configuration. So I zapped all the new config files.

Well, guess what! When I rebooted, GNOME started behaving strangely. First, the desktop icons were gone, and nothing would bring them back. Second, the wallpaper would not come up until I brought up the wallpaper chooser in the Preferences menu. I would have to do that each time. I spent a great deal of time searching the different Linux forums for solutions to the problem with GNOME. Suggestions ranged from creating a new user, to re-emerging Nautilus, to re-emerging GNOME entirely.

As much as I would have liked to do all that, to actually fix the error and continue to use Gentoo, I realised that I actually have work to accomplish. Linux is a tool--the best tool--for the kind of work I do, but for good or ill, Linux administration is not my field. If I must spend a great deal of time just fixing errors, I see no reason why I should continue to use the distribution, especially when Fedora has never given me such problems.

I would love to revisit Gentoo some other time--perhaps when my work schedule is not quite so demanding. Until then, I won't budge from my old faithful.

It is easy to become spoiled by Fedora. And there is no one feature to which everyone can point and say: "This is what I like best about Fedora." Indeed, Fedora is characterised by its contradictory aspects. While many people like the ease of the initial installation, there are those among us who get a perverse thrill from the post-installation ritual of fetching and installing the multimedia plug-ins. Some complain that Fedora is bloatware, while many of us agree that Fedora's decision to ship both the major desktop environments is a very good one. I like the fact that it ships with so many servers; in fact, I would say that it is this very point that has kept me in the Fedora camp for so long, in spite of the fact that there are so many distributions out there.

Last but not least, I like the fact that Fedora includes the latest packages. In Gentoo I could not emerge some of the programmes I wanted because they were masked. (Yes, I am aware that I would have edited my configuration file and emerged masked packages, but I did not want to do that.) Gentoo still uses GNOME 2.16, and as I have already described, my experience has convinced me that GNOME 2.18 is more stable that GNOME 2.16. So why doesn't Gentoo update portage to use the latest version?

During my few days with Gentoo I could not shake the gnawing feeling that I was missing out on something--the latest and greatest developments. I am basically a KDE user, and I realised that if Gentoo is still using GNOME 2.16, there is no way that KDE 4 will be in portage when it comes out later this year. But I can reasonably expect the next Fedora to ship with KDE 4, provided that the dates work out.

So, just like I had been zapping my config files with dispatch-conf, I pulled out Gparted and "zapped" my Gentoo partition. I will try it again some other time, but this is not the right time for me.

I apologise for the very long post! I did not realise how much I had written!

Has anyone here tried Sabayon? What are your opinions?
    Registered user # 441814

Sabayon is good, but plauged with the same portage/emerge problems Gentoo is. Just too much damn work for a modern distro, ya'know? Other than that I liked Gentoo, but reisswolf, I ran into the exact same problems you did. I attribute it to lack of gentoo experience but I dont really think I want to gain that experience. I am just a Fedora guy. The Gentoo users can keep Gentoo and I admire them and their distro. just not for me.

Page 3 of 181 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast