Pirtu (YUM?) acting up.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Pirut (YUM?) acting up.

As of late I have discovered a few problems with Yum that I'm not sure if they have already been reported or not, however...

As soon as I installed F7 onto my computer from a clean installation upgrading from FC6, I used Pirut to install a bunch of extra packages that I couldn't get during installation (given an Anaconda condition that would cause the installation to be performed as in HTTP when I configured extra repositories (such as Livna and the rest of the Fedora (Everything) repo from a mirror. At any rate, upon reboot the two very first things I did were to install the updates (which up that point were 85 or so accumulated updates) and install the extra packages I wanted from the get go, but I couldn't get.

I've stumbled into Yum either not resolving correctly the dependencies or resolving them, installing the intended package, but not installing the dependency packages. This has been the situation for a number of programs, such as K3B, Exaile, Inkscape, Blender and others. A number of missing files were preventing the programs from running... I have never seen this happening with Yum (or rather Pirut in this case). To be able to correct these problems I have been "forced" to, in some cases, uninstall the intended application and immediately re-installing it. Needless to say this is turning out to be rather frustrating... When I first saw this problem (with some livna packages) I thought it was due to clumsy packaging, way too light on my part, as that doesn't seems to be the case, but rather Pirut (through yum's libs) not resolving the dependencies correctly. I have not tried this with command-line YUM as such, yet, though I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the case with it either.

At this point I'm tempted to file a bug report for Pirut, but I'd like to have more confirmation on whether this is a Pirut or YUM as such issue before I file a useless and misleading bug report.
    Last edited by Thetargos; 1st July 2007 at 08:17 AM.
    If ain't broken, don't fix it! :eek:
    If can be improved, go for it! :cool:

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
    Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Robb11 Guest
    I know this is a Windows-like way to solve the problem, but... have you tried to uninstall & reinstall pirut using yum?

As a matter of fact, I have... Should have mentioned, though that I'm on x86_64... I have not installed many more programs with Pirut lately (don't trust it any more, as much as I like it), but will try to find some more information on bugzilla.

leigh123linux Guest
    Yum is acting up here as well, I dont get quite the same thing but it is very erratic since about Wednesday .
    I have tried everything including yum remove yum which didn't cure it.
    My 32 bit install seems unaffected .

Are you suggesting leigh that this might indeed be a Yum bug on 64-bit systems?

I had the same issue after I first installed F7. I think there is already a bug report for yum on this. If I clean the yum cache prior to the install command I haven't had a problem. I also noticed this seemed to be a much worse problem prior to about a week ago. Since then the frequency of the issue cropping up has decreased greatly.
    S.C.O.U.R.G.E. Heroes of lesser renown, contributor.

Same here on 64bit install. I think this is appropriate bug https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla....cgi?id=242368