Voters
945. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

459 48.57%
  • No

343 36.30%
  • Nearly worked

143 15.13%
Page 241 of 326 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 291 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,615 of 4882
    Check your "ServerLayout" section too, as it seems to be calling the wrong screens. I think you really want:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen         "amdcccle-Screen[1]-0" 1280 0
    	Screen         "amdcccle-Screen[1]-1" 1280 0
    EndSection
    V

That changed it from a spanning desktop to two mirrored displays. Changing it back put me back on a spanning desktop.

OK, I probably got the details wrong, but the point is to call the correct screens (according to the screen sections).

V

Quote Originally Posted by piga
    Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not seem to change anything.

Code:
    [hamish@localhost ~]$ fglrxinfo
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  143 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
      Serial number of failed request:  14
      Current serial number in output stream:  14
    [hamish@localhost ~]$
    The above was actually gained by me using the radeonhd driver for display. Interestingly enough, it is the same error I get when I use Catalyst proper with DRI disabled.
    I have installed a fresh install of Fedora 11 on that same computer and Catalyst gives me this error once again. However, on Leonidas it does give me functional 3D acceleration using the "radeon" driver (how come it refused to use it on Fedora 10 I have no idea). By functional, I means it runs most of the time. It is however very slow (Shogo, which was released in 1998, is practically unplayable.) and some games do not even run, saying my computer does not have 3D acceleration (Quake III Arena, released in 1999). As you can see, I expected more from a Radeon HD 3450. I know this is off topic, so anyone who has any suggestions I advise them to send me a private message. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Hamish Paul Wilson

Compiz is working perfectly for me on F11

After a bit of messing around I was able to get Compiz to work without any cursor corruption. This is my work system so nothing fancy -- Radeon HD 2400 XT. I performed the manual install of the ATI driver / mkinitrd etc. With my first install / Xinerama on I did see corruption with Compiz...but this morning I blew away xorg.conf and performed the following:

1) mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.old
    2) aticonfig --initial -f
    3) aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"

The above should enable big desktop after logging out etc. I then setup my dual monitor config (through the ATI catalyst control center), logged out one more time, and enabled desktop effects. Worked without any problems and did not see any cursor corruption. I've had it running the past 12 hours without any freezes or issues.

Kernel: 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64

Xorg below:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    After a bit of messing around I was able to get Compiz to work without any cursor corruption. This is my work system so nothing fancy -- Radeon HD 2400 XT. I performed the manual install of the ATI driver / mkinitrd etc. With my first install / Xinerama on I did see corruption with Compiz...but this morning I blew away xorg.conf and performed the following:

1) mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.old
    2) aticonfig --initial -f
    3) aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"

The above should enable big desktop after logging out etc. I then setup my dual monitor config (through the ATI catalyst control center), logged out one more time, and enabled desktop effects. Worked without any problems and did not see any cursor corruption. I've had it running the past 12 hours without any freezes or issues.

Kernel: 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64

Xorg below:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "Xinerama" "off"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option "DPMS" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Viewport 0 0
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    The third line fixed the issues I was having as well, allowing me to disable the software cursor.

Code:
    aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE"
    Thank you.

@canuck
    Wow that totally worked! You rock!
    So ATi drivers do work, but ATi just messed up the default configuration. Your post should be put right up top and made sticky

I'm using one HD 4870 and kernel 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.x86_64

EDIT: Compiz not working still... getting this:

Code:
    $ fusion-icon 
     * Detected Session: gnome
     * Searching for installed applications...
     * No GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap with direct rendering context
     ... present with indirect rendering, exporting: LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
     * Using the GTK Interface
    Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "libgnomenu": libgnomenu.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
     * Starting Compiz
     ... executing: compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp --indirect-rendering
    compiz (core) - Error: Could not acquire compositing manager selection on screen 0 display ":0.0"
    compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
    ^CTraceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/fusion-icon", line 58, in <module>
        choose_interface(try_first=options.interface)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 89, in choose_interface
        import_interface(chosen_interface)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface.py", line 35, in import_interface
        __import__('FusionIcon.interface_%s' %interface)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface_gtk/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
        import main
      File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/FusionIcon/interface_gtk/main.py", line 214, in <module>
        gtk.main()
    Last edited by jellymann; 2nd September 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added more information... and fixed a spelling mistake.. corrected information

jellymann I'm not using fusion-icon on my setup (stock desktop effects) so you may have a configuration issue. Post below mentions that it could be caused by running another compositing effects manager and it's not handing over control to compiz.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15058

As far as compiz goes, these are what I have installed:

rpm -qa |grep compiz
    compiz-0.7.8-19.fc11.x86_64
    compiz-gnome-0.7.8-19.fc11.x86_64
    gnome-compiz-manager-0.10.4-8.fc11.x86_64
    libcompizconfig-0.7.8-3.fc11.x86_64
    compiz-fusion-0.7.8-8.fc11.x86_64
    compizconfig-python-0.7.8-3.fc11.x86_64
    compiz-fusion-gnome-0.7.8-8.fc11.x86_64

@canuck
    ok I'll try installing only what you have installed

and ya I suppose metacity is not letting compiz do it's job because in gconf i turned on composite

will let you know how it goes

edit: I can't seem to find XGL anywhere on my pc... and not in any repositories. how do I get it? And which is better, rpmfusion drivers or ati's *.run installer? I'm having different trouble with both, just uninstalled the latter and installed rpmfusion's one and now xorg crashes. So now I have to redo everything again. Does anyone know if it is safe to keep uninstalling and reinstalled like this? Is there any cleaning to do so that the new drivers work properly so there are no conflicts? just asking... sorry if I'm a total n00b at this

edit2: ok now I've totally screwed things up. I did a "yum erase" for all the rpmfusion drivers and then installed ati's installer (at this time, using vesa driver at 640x480 and all the colours were totally psychedelic) and now I'm getting weird corrupted graphics in X, or X just crashes completely... think I forgot a step somewhere... cringe, how do I just completely remove everything and anything that's ATi and start fresh so I can do this right?
    Last edited by jellymann; 2nd September 2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added more info

I never installed anything from rpmfusion or Xgl -- the binary install worked fine for me right away (I was running with SWCursor at first though). If you remove all the rpmfusion drivers and perform the manual install it should work....but I can't guarantee it. I installed the binary before rpmfusion came out with theirs and made sure I booted into level 3 for the installs / blacklisted the radeon drivers, started with a clean xorg.conf, added the "SWCursor" to make sure it wouldn't crash, and ran mkinitrd. I also have selinux disabled and did not use any special flags with the kernel at boot.

With radeon/radeonhd I was getting some screen corruption but with the binary and compiz enabled I don't see any issues, 2D is even much faster and this appears to be one of the more stable Fedora installs I've ever had.

Edit -- if something goes wrong and you need to uninstall all the ATI drivers just run: /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh
    Last edited by Canuck; 2nd September 2009 at 05:19 PM.

And which is better, rpmfusion drivers or ati's *.run installer? I'm having different trouble with both, just uninstalled the latter and installed rpmfusion's one and now xorg crashes. So now I have to redo everything again. Does anyone know if it is safe to keep uninstalling and reinstalled like this? Is there any cleaning to do so that the new drivers work properly so there are no conflicts? just asking...
    Which is better ? That's a matter of personal opinion, but the consensus is: use RPMs whenever possible (for many reasons), especially since the binaries can damage your system: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Xorg/3..._Video_Drivers
    So: no, repeatedly installing/uninstalling the various driver formats is not a good idea. This is probably why you have problems: you did not re-install mesa-libGL after uninstalling the binary.

XGL is deprecated, unnecessary, and unavailable - and any attempt to try using it will fail.

V

It's alive !!!

Ok i am new to this,

A) I did a fresh install of Fedora 11 i686
    B) I did yum update and reboot
    C) I did steps 2-6 of this topics 1st post.
    D) I did the chcon -t textrel_shlib_t '/usr/lib/catalyst/libGL.so.1.2' as said in post http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...postcount=3564
    E) reboot
    F) Without moving my mouse, that is tricky i opened a terminal and did
    mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.old
    aticonfig --initial -f
    as said in post http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...postcount=3606
    Then i rebooted the system and mouse doesn't freeze. I have enabled the Desktops Effects and everything works great.

I have a Laptop with ATI HD 3650.

epic fail; my pc crashed

Hi, i tried the installation instructions but it failed (F11 advised to not do instructions) but i really wanted to install it so i tried and it failed. I can edit grub entry's but my entire fedora installation is encrypted. I am now booted from live ubuntu cd. by putting Single or text behind the kernel boot it will still load the X service. If i do init 1 it will crash. ctrl-alt-fx aint working; it just reboots. Anyone got an idea on how to still go in textmode and uninstall the ati program? And how do i mount an encrypted volume, i tried to find it on google but no success (sorry for bad english; not native english)

I upgraded from Fedora 10. The new catalyst does not work properly. It keeps freezing whenever I minimize a window or resize it. I disabled composite but still It is freezing.

Here is some info

Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux localhost 2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP Mon Aug 24 17:16:21 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$ lspci | grep -i ati
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3450

$ cat /etc/sysconfig/livna-config-display 
    [Configuration]
    active = True
    olddriver = fglrx
    preconfigured = manual

[ManualOptions]
    composite = False
    aiglxflag = True
    kdmxgl = False
    gdmxgl = False

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    # Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier     "Default Layout"
    	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/catalyst"
    	ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option	    "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    	Option	    "VideoOverlay" "on"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Videocard0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    	Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection
    I tried:
    aticonfig --initial -f
    But livna keeps overwriting my xorg.conf
    I also tried to disable livna and load the xorg aticonfig creates however, that one doesnt even boot up.

Any hints?

But livna keeps overwriting my xorg.conf
    Disable livna-config-display from auto-editing xorg.conf as detailed in previous posts.

V

Page 241 of 326 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 291 ... LastLast