FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fedora vs. Sid (in terms of updates)

Greetings to all who are viewing this,

I'll admit, I'm not running running Fedora now (got Debian Etch at the moment) and since that's going to be my rock solid stable distro, I want to add another distro that moves fast & constantly updates to newer versions of software.

The two that came to my mind were Debian's Unstable branch and Fedora Core. I'm a little biased toward Debian (probably from using Ubuntu for a while), but I don't have a problem with either distro.

So basically after all this is which one has newer packages? (I know that Sid really isn't a distro and is always constantly changing, but sometimes I've seen the two leapfrog each other, espacially after Fedora releases a newer version.)

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    I only have etch experience and I agree with your decision. This is very similar to how I run. I wont give up my fedora for the "play" distro though. A big part of that decision is this forum and I admit I feel a certain amount of loyalty to this distro. Besides, probably something you havent thought about but having one .deb and one RPM distro kind of mixes things up. You get the best of both worlds.

As far as SID goes I think the person to talk to would be Leigh123@linux. I dont know anyone else who has tried it, only etch. Part of my reason for even posting is to move this back up, maybe Leigh will see it.

I'm running Etch since March (first the unstable and now the final version) without problems in 2 boxes. In fact, I only got Matlab and Simulink (the linux version) running Ok on Debian.

As long as it's Linux, you are in the right direction.
    P.S. Never take candy from strangers... money is ok, but not candy.

FC 12 - 64 bits

Dell Vostro 1710 | Intel Core 2 Duo T9500 @ 2.60GHz | DDR 2GB | nVidia GeForce 8600M GS 512MB | WLAN Broadcom BCM4328 802.11a/b/g/n | Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller | Dell Wireless 360 Bluetooth | Seagate 5400rpm 160GB | Western Digital 5400rpm 320GB

Maemo 5

Nokia N900 | ARM Cortex A8 600 MHz | PowerVR SGX graphics | 32GB | Designed in Finland

I've only got experience with Etch and Lenny (which is now the testing branching). I don't know what Sid is like but it can't hurt to give it a try.
    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T420, CPU: Intel Core i5 520M, Ram: 8GB DDR3, Hard Drive: 320GB, Graphics: Intel HD, OS: Windows 7 / Arch Linux x86_64
    Desktop: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, RAM: 8GB DDR4, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Graphics: Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB, OS: Arch Linux x86_64

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    If lenny is testing what is sid? Expermental?

Plossl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool
    Sid is the unstable development release.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

rpms and debs won't be an issue because when I have to install software, I get it from the repos so that's not a problem.

My experience with Sid is that the nvidia drivers were broken the last time i used it (I believed they fixed that).

Sid is always unstable and never moves down. It either stands for the sid kid in toy story who always breaks his toys, or Software In Development. What happens is if a package wants to be included, it starts at the Experimental branch. When the devs look it over and approve, it moves into the Unstable branch (or Sid). From there, the package must last 2 weeks (or 10 days, I forget) without any major bugs or breakage before it moves into Testing, which is Lenny at the moment. Eventually, when the Debian devs feel it is necessary, they'll go on a bug purging spree and clean out testing of almost all of its bugs before it enters the Stable branch (which is now Etch). The distro that was there before it moves into the oldstable branch and the one before that gets shoved into the archive. Every time a branch moves down, a new name must be though out for Testing.

leigh123linux Guest
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Sid

http://wooledge.org/~greg/sidfaq.html

How do I install sid?

The canonical answer is: You don't. You can only upgrade to it from stable or testing. You do that by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and changing your sources from stable to unstable. ( or if you feel really brave try changing it from etch to development )

There are some unofficial "sid ISO images" out there. They are dangerous, unofficial and obsolete (by definition!). Stay away from them.

It may also be possible to install sid packages instead of testing packages if you're using a net install from the testing branch. This is not supported, but if you want to try it, you're free to do so. It's your machine, after all. Just don't cry if it breaks.

Sid is the equivalent to FC7 and IMO just as stable
    Last edited by leigh123linux; 8th May 2007 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
    Sid is the equivalent to FC7 and IMO just as stable
    Sid is the equivalent of Rawhide aka Fedora development branch. It cannot by definition be equivalent to Fedora 7 since it is not a release.
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

leigh123linux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram
    Sid is the equivalent of Rawhide aka Fedora development branch.
    I would disagree with this statement , I would compare rawhide with debian development not sid ( unstable ).

It cannot by definition be equivalent to Fedora 7 since it is not a release.
    But I would agree sid isn't a release.
    Last edited by leigh123linux; 8th May 2007 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123@linux
    I would disagree with this statement , I would compare rawhide with debian development not sid ( unstable )
    Huh? Sid is the code name for Debian development branch just like rawhide is the code name for Fedora development branch.
    Rahul

haavard Guest
    I recently changed from FC to debian lenny/sid(testing/unstable).
    Right now i think FC is more bleeding-edge than sid, but I think(/hope) this is mostly due to the lag from etch recently going to stable.

FC is a great distro, but the control and lack of bloat I got from the debian netinstall(~150MB download) is worth a little waiting, I think.

Most of the packages on my system are from testing, but I also have a lot from unstable, and my system has so far been very stable.

By the way, I think debian experimental is the closest to rawhide. Never used it, but I've read that is yot are using experimental you have to expect stuff to break every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by haavard
    I recently changed from FC to debian lenny/sid(testing/unstable).

By the way, I think debian experimental is the closest to rawhide. Never used it, but I've read that is yot are using experimental you have to expect stuff to break every once in a while.
    There seems a lot of confusion in this comparisons. So let me explain a few things:

* You cannot really compare a development branch to actual releases from another distribution. Hence comparing sid to any particular Fedora general release is pointless.

* Fedora active development happens on the development branch called rawhide which is the closet equivalent of Debian sid. Updates before release are usually pushed to updates-testing repository (which is similar to Debian testing) and then later reach the main release branches (akin to Debian stable). There is no equivalent of Debian "experimental" repository in Fedora. Usually developers just host their own repository for such purposes.

Examples:

http://people.redhat.com/davej/
    http://people.redhat.com/linville/kernels/
    Rahul

haavard Guest
    In a way I agree with you, but there is a huge difference in debian stable and an FC release. Debian stable is ridiculously stable, FC is not, defenently not right after FC releases. FC is bleeding edge, debian stable is not.

I think what should be compared is stability and how up to date the packages are. On those terms I think debian testing/unstable is a pretty good comparison to FC, and rawhide to experimental. Debian unstable is pretty stable, actualy.

leigh123linux Guest
    Huh? Sid is the code name for Debian development branch just like rawhide is the code name for Fedora development branch.
    Here a guide to Current Releases

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

Current Releases

oldstable - The previous stable release (3.1) (sarge)

stable - The current stable release (4.0) (etch)

testing - The next generation release (lenny)

unstable - The unstable development release (sid) (new packages are introduced here too)

experimental - Not really a release, but where new packages are introduced
    Lets hope this clears up your confusion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast