FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

box around words

in msword it is possible to put a box around some words or letters in a document. but in openoffice, i can't find such a tool (i also can't see those if someone sends me a file with that formatting). anyone know of the equivelant tool, or perhaps a different office program on linux that can display those boxes?

You can surround text with a box in OpenOffice. Highlight the text, then select Format > Paragraph > Borders. You can play around with 3-D shadow effects, contents spacing, line style and color, etc. The ruler margin/indent markers also affect the box.

I have no idea about the issue that you mentioned regarding seeing documents properly formatted that others send to you.
    Last edited by stoat; 2nd March 2008 at 03:15 AM.

thanks, but that isn't exactly what i was looking for. some files i get have a box around maybe one or two words within a paragraph. not the entire paragraph circled. i don't have msword so i don't know the name of the function, but i think it is something like encased characters or something. I'd like to be able to use something like that, so when i send files back, i can circle a few words here or there to mark places that need editing. it would also be nice to be able to see those marks when importing ms word docs too. anyone know if koffice/abiword/ or other office suite can do this?

Sorry about that. Since no one else had any ideas about this today, my last stab at it is perhaps you are looking for collaboration tools. They exist in both MS Word and OpenOffice. In OpenOffice they are found in the Edit menu as "Changes". Multiple authors can alter a document with their changes highlighted. The changes can be approved, rejected, and merged into an original document. And obviously, all contributors will be using OpenOffice to alter the document.
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    (i also can't see those if someone sends me a file with that formatting)
    Assuming you are referring to OpenOffice (not MS Word) documents that were sent to you, perhaps you need to select "Show" in the "Changes" submenu. Otherwise the changes are not highlighted.

It's not exactly "boxes" and I am not familiar with details of the collaboration tools in MS Word, but it sounds possible for what you are searching for. Otherwise, I hope you eventually find it. Good luck.
    Last edited by stoat; 2nd March 2008 at 03:15 AM.