Help with FTP - Fedora 6, XAMPP, please?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    bagpiperdude90 Guest

Help with FTP - Fedora 6, XAMPP, please?

Hi,

Ok, I just got this computer from a friend, who was about to throw it out. I wanted a webserver, and decided I should try out Linux... prefferably Fedora. So, here I am. I am a product of Windows XP, so Linux is a lot different than I am used to. But, I am learning.

Instead of configuring all the different server parts (Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, etc), I downloaded XAMPP for Linux. So far, its great! Everything works with it; I have some phpbb forums on, all the security working well... everything.

Except for FTP support. I would like to be able to host some friend's websites on here, and thus I need FTP (don't tell me to use anything else; they use DreamWeaver, and it only supports FTP. I know they could switch to a better client, but they don't want to).

XAMPP comes with ProFTPD, which I have tried using, but with no luck. I then tried vsFTPD and pure-ftpd after disabling the xampp version of proftpd. Each of these only partially worked; sometimes I could get an anonymous user logged in, other times I couldn't even get the server to know I am here.

I am running behind a router, and have the firewall completely disabled on the Linux box (for now), and am using the internal network IP addresses, so I am not going through the internet, just my LAN.

At one point, I was able to access the FTP server perfectly inside my LAN, but if I tried leaving my LAN and entering back in, using my domain name or WAN IP address, the server wouldn't accept me. It would "see" me, but just refuse the user/pass combination. If I spammed the server with FTP log in requests, I could here the CPU working, so I know I was getting to the server.

I do have port forwarding to the linux box; ports 80, 20, 21

SELinux is Disabled

After the above happened, I thought maybe the computer got messed up from me following all the different tutorials to no avail, editing tons of different settings, etc. So, I reinstalled Fedora 6. Now plain old nothing works for FTP.

So. I am asking for some help. Here is what I would really like:

Use the ProFTP server that comes with XAMPP

Use virtual accounts, so I don't have to have lots of system logins and groups

I would love to have a gui for the server, but I realise thats probably not possible

Each account needs to be chrooted into their own webspace directory (/opt/lampp/htdocs/username)

NO anonymous login

Also, if you give me directions, instead of just saying "type this into command line: $ [instructions] -z -R -wrt --with-/usr/sbin/config.conf" .... you get the point... could you give me an idea of what is happening? Not a whole long spiel, but just a "here we are configuring it to run from this config file", or something of the sort?

Thanks you for your help!!! Honestly, if you get this to work, you will make not only my day, but my month!

Its almost 1am here, so I'll be asleep fairly soon, and tomorrow I'll be gone for the later half of the day, so I won't be answering questions immediately... :-(

(P.S. I have read almost every tutorial that I could come accross... for some reason none of them worked. Not a single one. It's driving me nuuts!)
    Last edited by bagpiperdude90; 6th January 2007 at 06:37 AM.

bagpiperdude90 Guest
    ok, with the default XAMPP install, I can connect to FTP with the supplied user "nobody" and the pass they give.

However, it won't work outside of my LAN.

Outside my LAN (connecting with my WAN IP) I get this error message:

State:> Creating control socket...
    State:> Connecting to 66.32.151.211 ...
    State:> Socket connected, waiting for welcome message...
    Reply:> 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0a Server (ProFTPD) [192.168.2.99]
    Command:> user nobody
    Reply:> 331 Password required for nobody.
    Command:> pass *****
    Reply:> 230 User nobody logged in.
    Command:> pwd
    Reply:> 257 "/" is current directory.
    State:> Creating data socket...
    Command:> pasv
    Reply:> 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,99,181,233).
    Command:> list
    State:> Data connection closed.
    State:> Auto close data connection.

If I connect inside my LAN (using IP address of 192.168.2.99):

State:> Creating control socket...
    State:> Connecting to 192.168.2.99 ...
    State:> Socket connected, waiting for welcome message...
    Reply:> 220 ProFTPD 1.3.0a Server (ProFTPD) [192.168.2.99]
    Command:> user nobody
    Reply:> 331 Password required for nobody.
    Command:> pass *****
    Reply:> 230 User nobody logged in.
    Command:> pwd
    Reply:> 257 "/" is current directory.
    State:> Creating data socket...
    Command:> pasv
    Reply:> 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,99,133,77).
    Command:> list
    Reply:> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
    State:> Data connection closed.
    State:> Auto close data connection.
    226 Transfer complete.
    State:> Listing Complete
    State:> Received file list loaded successully.

Any ideas?? Is it not possible for me to connect via my LAN using my WAN IP address?

bagpiperdude90 Guest
    ok, well, nobody helped, so I went to a different linux forum.

They helped.

And said: I cannot access my server by going outside of my LAN and then back in to the server; only via the LAN IP address.

A friend confirmed it... had him to go ftp://<username>@<xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx> and it worked!

julian_gm Guest
    where did you go? I'm looking for some help installing XAMPP.

thanks

bagpiperdude90 Guest
    I'm here...

what do you need help with??

julian_gm Guest
    Im trying to set up a web server for local testing in my lan, so I installed Fedora core 6 with all the web server components enabled, when i could boot to fedora I found some services (httpd, mysql) but cant make php work, not even sure if its installed , I tried the yum php install to no avail , just a "nothing to do" message. Should I just install XAMPP or do I need to remove apache(httpd) and mysql before?
    thanks in advance

bagpiperdude90 Guest
    hmm... yeah I'd completely take all server related things off of your computer, then install XAMPP. I have no problems running apache, mysql, sqlite, php, phpmyadmin, proftopd, etc. Assuming you have unzipped it to the right directory (/opt), just type this in to a terminal window to start xampp:

/opt/lampp/lampp start

make sure you add it to the init.d start-up file, so it will then automatically start when you boot.

vonskippy Guest
    Just remember XAMPP is for development work or internal use ONLY - it's no where near security enough for public use. They even state that clearly on their web page:

"The default configuration is not good from a security point of view and it's not secure enough for a production environment - please don't use XAMPP in such environment."

bagpiperdude90 Guest
    well... not really. If you run this command in the terminal:

/opt/lampp/lampp security

it will secure it.

vonskippy Guest
    well. not really.

"To fix most of the security weaknesses simply call the following command:. /opt/lampp/lampp security."

Personally, I don't usually settle for "most" when it comes to the security of my network, but that's just me.

XAMPP/LAMPP is a great way to quickly get those services up and running on a box, preferably a development or internal testing server. It certainly is NOT the best way to setup a public facing web/email/ftp server.

julian_gm Guest
    Thanks for the info guys, I have no idea how to remove those stuff though.
    ill stick to what already have , and will try to figure out what to do, Im pretty confused with this linux thing.
    Too much time under the wings of bill gates, brainwash maybe?
    I used to be a smart guy.