FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    exubuntu Guest

    yumex

    is there a way to speed this demon up? It's now my favourite update, download prog (after I borked t'other ones that I have synaptic, add/remove). And its great, but It's just so slow! It takes an age to "populate" the downloads menu, with over 5000 options (great to have so many). BUt SLOOOOW. I realise my pc is slow itself, but if there is a software way to do it it would be graetly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eugen, Oregon, USA.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    324
    Well, you could cut the number of repos that you use and have as little soft ware a possible on the system. So that the install and remove lists populate faster.

    Not really a great idea but, an idea.
    Yeah, I got a web site too. It even has a forum. Now who's the cool one?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    2,638
    It really depends of the mirror servers. Test a repository with a mirror server and choose the fatest. You can also install an extension called yum-fastermirror.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 26 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop ASUS X550ZE - APU: AMD Quad Core A10 7400P + Dual Radeon R5 230, R7 M265DX - Memory: 16GB DDR3-RAM - OS: Fedora 26 Design Suite x86-64

  4. #4
    bob's Avatar
    bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23,357
    Finalzone, that 'fastestmirror' extension generally slows everything down to a crawl for most people. There is a new Yumex in 'development' , version 1.2.1, which is a bit faster.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Age
    45
    Posts
    115
    That is true. That fastestmirror plugin makes a horribly slow package manager even more unbearably slow. If you're going to use Fedora, just get use to it. LOL.

    Personally I switched to Debian 'Testing' mostly because of Yum. However, I still like to hang out in these forums because the Debian forums are boring. Everything just works in Debian so there aren't many posts there.

  6. #6
    bob's Avatar
    bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23,357
    Timidsmith, I've installed CentOS and found the same thing. No problems, very little discussion in the Forum and a rock-solid distro that, like Debian, is based on aged versions of software. It's comforting to have a distro that may not be the 'latest and greatest' but plugs along steadily.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  7. #7
    JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,823
    Quote Originally Posted by timdsmith
    That is true. That fastestmirror plugin makes a horribly slow package manager even more unbearably slow. If you're going to use Fedora, just get use to it. LOL.

    Personally I switched to Debian 'Testing' mostly because of Yum. However, I still like to hang out in these forums because the Debian forums are boring. Everything just works in Debian so there aren't many posts there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Timidsmith, I've installed CentOS and found the same thing. No problems, very little discussion in the Forum and a rock-solid distro that, like Debian, is based on aged versions of software. It's comforting to have a distro that may not be the 'latest and greatest' but plugs along steadily.
    So solid there arent any posts in the forum? No problems? No challenges?
    AAAHHHHHHHH NO NO! I WONT GO! YOU WONT DRAG ME TO THAT HELL!!!!
    AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH

  8. #8
    bob's Avatar
    bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23,357
    Actually, it's kinda neat, in an 'old school' way. No need to ask questions, since CentOS is pretty much FC. Up2Date is there and works pretty well; you install Nvidia with the old methods from the Nvidia site and there's no repository war since Livna is not involved, just the RPMForge group. There's even a way to block conflicts from Freshrpms, etc. that might affect critical system applications.

    And, the other two guys in the Forum are really interesting. We're involved in a heated debate on yeast vs. rid-X for septic tank care and the best fescue grasses for those problem shady spots on your lawn...
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,186
    actually if you wait for the next gen of yumex its waaaaaaaaaaay faster!

    If you are too impatient and dont mind using a non released version you can grab it here...

    http://www.yum-extender.org/dnl/yumex/devel/

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Eugen, Oregon, USA.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    324
    The New one is way faster!
    Yeah, I got a web site too. It even has a forum. Now who's the cool one?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Age
    45
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Timidsmith, I've installed CentOS and found the same thing. No problems, very little discussion in the Forum and a rock-solid distro that, like Debian, is based on aged versions of software. It's comforting to have a distro that may not be the 'latest and greatest' but plugs along steadily.
    Yeah! I'm running the 'Testing' version so the software is way newer than 'Stable'. Gnome for instance is version 2.14.3 so it's not old old. The thing is, all packages go through the 'Unstable' tree and get the ***** tested out of them before moving to testing...So testing is rock solid.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Colony, TX
    Age
    45
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Actually, it's kinda neat, in an 'old school' way. No need to ask questions, since CentOS is pretty much FC. Up2Date is there and works pretty well; you install Nvidia with the old methods from the Nvidia site and there's no repository war since Livna is not involved, just the RPMForge group. There's even a way to block conflicts from Freshrpms, etc. that might affect critical system applications.

    And, the other two guys in the Forum are really interesting. We're involved in a heated debate on yeast vs. rid-X for septic tank care and the best fescue grasses for those problem shady spots on your lawn...
    You do the same with Debian. Install Nvidia drivers the old way...Running the installer from Nvidia's site. And with 18,000 packages in the Debian repos, there isn't any need for other repositories. Except for one that has the 'Dirty' codecs in it. But that's pretty much all it has in it.

  13. #13
    leigh123linux Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by exubuntu
    is there a way to speed this demon up? It's now my favourite update, download prog (after I borked t'other ones that I have synaptic, add/remove). And its great, but It's just so slow! It takes an age to "populate" the downloads menu, with over 5000 options (great to have so many). BUt SLOOOOW. I realise my pc is slow itself, but if there is a software way to do it it would be graetly appreciated.
    try smart its quick

    yum -y install smart smart-gui

  14. #14
    bob's Avatar
    bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Age
    72
    Posts
    23,357
    Yep, I've also got Mint and Ubuntu on a couple of partitions, so have played a bit with variants of debian. Very good distros and certainly worthy of the praise they've been getting. Frankly, I'd love to see apt and synaptic work as well on FC as it does on PCLOS, and the 'buntu's; it's just very very fast.

    As to the dirty codecs, yep, we've got our choice on which repository to go to, but since they can't agree.... Okay, a 'rant' is appropriate:

    (rant) Let's face facts; RPMForge and Livna and ATrpms are never going to work together and who pays the price? We do, if we make the mistake of enabling all of them and/or picking too many programs from multiple repositories. We have version conflicts and updates wanting to replace existing programs. For years now some of us have been recommending one repository or another to each new user. Perhaps we've liked some 'how-to' site and have based our selection on that.

    Well folks, if the repositories can't agree, perhaps the Forum members can. Let's be consistent in recommending only one 3rd. party repository when giving instructions and asking those who have 'how-to' sites out there to use that repository in the instructions. If they choose not to, then let's not refer to the site when giving instructions. So, which to choose? Well, no matter what your preferences are, it sure seems that Livna has the inside track since it's linked to Extras. And, of course, the FedoraFAQ is linked to us and uses Livna. So, to me it seems clear that Livna would be the better choice.

    Of course the other repositories for FC have a right to exist, and there are many more out there that seldom get mentioned. People have a right to put their tutorials out there for others. That's all fine, but we really ought to keep our instructions on this Forum a bit more uniform than they've been in the past.
    (/rant)
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651


    Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Scotland
    Age
    33
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by hiberphoptik
    actually if you wait for the next gen of yumex its waaaaaaaaaaay faster!

    If you are too impatient and dont mind using a non released version you can grab it here...

    http://www.yum-extender.org/dnl/yumex/devel/
    Yes, I can certainly confirm that.

    Looks like they have used a similar method to read database/repos as pirut (fc6 bundled yum installer)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. yumex error - missing dependency python abi 2.4 needed by yumex
    By mikewainwright in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd January 2007, 03:00 PM
  2. Yumex 1.0.1 bug
    By weave in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th May 2006, 10:40 PM
  3. Yumex
    By Clunixchit in forum Fedora Core 5 - Dev
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th January 2006, 01:57 PM
  4. yumex
    By xstation in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 21st December 2005, 07:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •