FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    JustFly Guest

LazyFly's way of compiling kernel

Greetings ppl

First i want to say that fedora is great

mb i can add something to this thread..

After i yumex-ed to the latest kernel (2.6.19xx-or so i think), i was surprised to find out that the sound from my saa7134 tv capture card was not working anymore, whatever i tried (it was working fine in older kernels).
    Watching tv being essential for my desktop-experience, i needed to revert back to kernel 2.6.18.1.
    I tried searching the fedora repo's & couldnt find the "old" kernel& matching nvidia driver (1.0-9631). So i decided to compile things my self like follows:

1)yum(ex) the gcc& development packages.
    2)yum the needed qt-packages (yum install qt*)which are needed to run "xconfig" instead of "menuconfig" (this, for loading a .config file)
    3)download the kernel of choice from kernel.org & extract it somewhere
    4)become root & cd to extracted kernel-sourcedir you just dl-ed.

5.5) if you want you can tweak the kernel/cpu "timeslice" in the "linux2.6.xx/kernel/sched.c" file to make the desktop somewhat more responsive:

#define MIN_TIMESLICE max(5 * HZ / 1000, 1)
    #define DEF_TIMESLICE (100 * HZ / 1000)
    #define ON_RUNQUEUE_WEIGHT 100

(the numbers 5, 100 & 100 can be tweaked (set lower) at your own risk..

5)type "make xconfig"

6)in the popping-up qt-window, click the load a config-menu-button.

7)as a config, just to make it easy, just load the config-file (.config) wich is standard provided in the "/boot" dir..for instance "config-2.6.18.xxx.config"

8)now tweak the standard fedora settings (i only adjust cpu-type * kernel timings & 1 or 2 other things to be sure i dont mess up things, like having no netfilter in kernel etc, im no guru)

9)press "save" in window-menu

10) -->type "make" & wait 30-60 min

11) "make modules_install install"

12)adjust /boot/grub.grub.conf to use this fantastic new creation.

voila..a custom kernel is born ..the lazy way

I salute you all!

JustFly Guest
    ahh..you can even skip the "qt" steps if you use gconfig..
    even easier..

greets

Quote Originally Posted by JustFly
    10) -->type "make" & wait 30-60 min
    If you adjust the specs file to build only the devel and regular kernel. Time could take like 15 to 20 minutes . Good guide, didn't knew about that sched.c, but I ain't going to try it

JustFly Guest
    But then..loading in config files from different kernels (with different features) will sometimes mess things up..

Quote Originally Posted by JustFly
    But then..loading in config files from different kernels (with different features) will sometimes mess things up..
    Fout.

Features that are not in the i686 kernel will simply be ignored. The compilation program is really strict in these kind of things.

JustFly Guest
    ok..thnx for pointing that out..
    its all good, after all!

ACCP-James Guest
    Might want to try it again to confirm it, but this might be an easier substituion and removes a ton of steps, worked for me anyway... In place of make menuconfig then rm rpmbuild and recreating it, do the following:

cd /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES
    mv kernel-2.6.18.i686.config kernel-2.6.18.i686.config.old
    cd /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.i686]
    cp .config .config.old
    make menuconfig

Select/deselect desired options...
    Select save as alternate configuration, enter the following:
    /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/kernel-2.6.18.i686.config
    exit menuconfig, don't bother saving changes but if you do save you've got your .config.old backup.

gedit /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/kernel-2.16.18.i686.config
    Add this two lines to the very top of the file so they become lines 1 & 2
    # i386
    #
    Save and quit.

Proceed with editing specs file if that's not already done, then rpmbuild -bb...
    This gave me the i686 build and, if I may say so, saves a handful of steps :P There's really nothing gained by copying the config file text to the other that I could discover, always wind up just missing options and the like and the only thing that prevents it from working is the fact that rpmbuild seems to look for a couple of things on specific line numbers. Omitting the # i386 and the second line with a # will cause the rpmbuild command to fail shortly in to the process...
    Last edited by ACCP-James; 27th March 2007 at 08:26 AM.

When a new kernel comes out, I'll give it a try and update the manual if it works. It's not severely outdated, but I was looking for an easier solution. THANKS .

ACCP-James Guest
    Some more information that should be useful to this post:

The .config file from the BUILD/ tree is actually derived from the relevant file in SOURCES/. For example, when going through the build process without modifying the kernel-2.6.spec file it goes through three iterations, one for 2.6.20.1-2933 (current Fedora update version), then another for 2.6.20.1-2933-debug and another for 2.6.20.1-2933-kdump... a fourth if you're doing xen support. For each of these builds there is a config file in the SOURCES folder named thusly:

kernel-2.6.20.1-2933-<arch>.config
    kernel-2.6.20.1-2933-<arch>-debug.config
    kernel-2.6.20.1-2933-<arch>-kdump.config
    kernel-2.6.20.1-2933-<arch>-xen.config

When the rpmbuild process actually works on the kernel build (the 'make' stage) it copies the relevant .config file from the SOURCES folder to BUILD/kernel-2.6.20.1-2933/linux-2.6.20.1-2933/.config. What's in the actual .config file (generated by 'make menuconfig') actually means nothing when you do an rpmbuild because it just uses what's in the SOURCES folder.

Now, I'm no good with creating patches... but it wouldn't be too hard to create a script and patch set that takes a copy of a .config file generated with 'make menuconfig' (or xconfig, gconfig or even configure), copies it in to the SOURCES folder then recreates the kernel-2.6.20.1-2933*.config files with the proper settings that differ from build to build. (enabling debug features as appropriate, for example).

Finally, while on i686 platforms changing the various debug/kdump/pae settings in the .spec file seems to work, I can now validate that it causes issues with the build on x86_64, it apparently, more on that later.

I think, for my personal use, I will 'cheat'. I will simply run rpmbuild -bb <blah> out of the box and let it build the package, then, once it's done, simply do make menuconfig, make modules_install and manually cp and mkinitrd with the kernel :P That way I get the uninstall capability of yum and other package managers but don't spend that much time screwing with this :P
    Last edited by ACCP-James; 30th March 2007 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks, alpha645 & ACCP-James, this works

Combining alpha645, ACCP-James and Fedora's official guide on kernel development this is how to compile an i686 kernel rpm (and kernel-devel rpm) as a non-root user (For x86_64 replace i686 with x86_64 below)

EDIT. If previously you've been experimenting with compiling as root then you should clean out /var/tmp, so just type 'rm -fr /var/tmp/*' (as root)

1. Ensure you have development tools:
    Code:
    sudo yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
    sudo yum install rpmdevtools
    2. Login as your user (not root) in a terminal and type
    Code:
    rpmdev-setuptree
    Get the required kernel source from, eg http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...pdates/6/SRPMS and install (I used kernel-2.6.20-1.2925.fc6.src.rpm)
    Code:
    rpm -Uhv kernel-<version>.src.rpm
    (ignore warnings about 'user brewbuilder')

3. Edit the spec file ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec and apply alpha645's edits (This will ensure you get just a kernel rpm and a kernel-devel rpm)
    Line numbers. are approx only, since they vary with kernel versions, you should be able to ocate the relevant ones.

(In more recent kernels these first two edits may be unnecessary)
    ~line 13: %define buildxen 0
    ~line 15: %define buildkdump 0

Now edit the version string, eg add .test, or .stk8 if compiling for 8K stacks. I used .stk8, and added it like this

~line 41: %define release %(R="$Revision: 1.2925.stk8 $"; RR="${R##: }"; echo ${RR%%?})%{?dist}

Finally, look for an arch specific line a little further down beginning '%ifarch i686', and edit the defines to

~line 81: %define builddebug 0
    ~line 108: %define buildpae 0

then add this line directly below line 108: %define _enable_debug_packages 0

NOTE. If you do not apply these edits then the compilation time will increase up to 4-fold, also you will need several gigs of free space available to /var/tmp. Obviously, if you specifically need a pae or xen kernel then leave those options at '1'.

4. Build the source tree (This and the following steps requires approx 1 gig free space in your home directory, much more if you enabled debug builds etc.)**
    Code:
    rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
    5. Create a clean build environment
    Code:
    cd ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-<version>/linux-<version>/
    make mrproper
    6. Now copy a config file from a default one in ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-<version>/linux-<version>/configs/, and configure it for the compilation
    Code:
    cp configs/kernel-<version>-i686.config .config
    make oldconfig
    Press return to accept defaults to any questions if prompted (or chose suitable alternatives)

Now apply any custom settings using 'make menuconfig' (eg for 8K stacks, scroll down to the 'Kernel hacking' section, select that then scroll down to the bottom and deselect the option to use 4K stacks.) Make sure Kernel debugging is NOT selected in the 'Kernel hacking' section (Or at least deselect the option to 'Compile the kernel with debug info', otherwise the modules size will be huge)
    Code:
    make menuconfig
    Ensure to save this config on exit from menuconfig if you made any changes. (You can use 'make xconfig' or 'make gconfig' if you want a nice gui interface)

7. Now the fiddly bit. As ACCP-James has told us, rpmbuild -bb will ignore this .config, so for an i686 build we have to copy it back to ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/kernel-<version>-i686.config
    Code:
    cp .config ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/kernel-<version>-i686.config
    and then edit ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/kernel-<version>-i686.config and add '# i386' ('x86_64' for 64 bit) to the top so the first 3 lines are
    Code:
    # i386
    #
    # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
    8. Now you can build the kernel
    Code:
    rpmbuild -bb --target=i686 ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
    If you get a message about entropy being too low, just open any application temporarily and then close it. You can ignore the multitude of warnings generated.
    And after an hour or so (depending on cpu/memory, it took 32mins on an AMD64 3500, 1GB ram) you'll have two rpms in ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686, a kernel rpm and a kernel-devel rpm

9. Install the kernel and kernel-devel
    Code:
    sudo rpm -ihv ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/i686/kernel*.rpm
    (You can use the '--force' option if this complains that a newer kernel is already installed, but you'll overwrite the current kernel if the revision name from step 3 matches the current one, so add something like .test at that step if you want to keep the current kernel as a boot option in grub (highly recommended))
    This will also amend grub to make this kernel the default boot (it will also create the ram disk image in /boot, so no need to do a mkinitrd)

The ~/rpmbuild directory will now be a around 1 gig so once you've copied the two rpms somewhere safe you probably should delete all the files in it (unless you are building other rpms or want to do another kernel compile (then go back to step 5))

Code:
    rpmdev-wipetree
    (to just remove the files created during the build steps, use 'rm -fr ~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel-<buildversion>', you then have to go back to step 4 to do another build)

NOTE. An alternative method is to use 'make UTS_MACHINE=i686 rpm' in place of steps 7 & 8, however this does not produce a kernel-devel rpm which is really needed in Fedora (you do get a kernel src.rpm which you also get if you use rpmbuild -ba). Also, when you install the kernel rpm created this way you have to do the extra steps of editing grub.conf and mkinitrd to generate a ram disk yourself. Thus the rpmbuild -bb method is superior and is the recommended method in Fedora.

** After doing rpmdev-setuptree you can point the build directory to wherever you want by editing ~/.rpmmacros and changing the line which defines %_topdir., then copy the rpmbuild directory structure to that location with 'cp -a ~/rpmbuild <destination>', just make sure your user has full permissions on the directory you point to.
    Last edited by sideways; 12th May 2007 at 11:35 AM.

ACCP-James Guest
    As a sidenote if your'e compiling for a different architecture base... such as x86_64 or SPARC, you would specify that instead if i386 at the top of the kernel-2.6.x-x.config file. i686 and i386 are interchangeable for whatever reason when building a kernel. Who knew?

vratnica Guest
    Helllo!
    I m just new to fedora and I ve tried to compile the kernel as it is shown in this howto, but i dont understand following lines:

To get the latest of the latest kernel with all Fedora specific patches working and all the patches from kernel.org, go here and grab the bleeding edge kernel (make sure you change all the directory names and stuff):

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/p...t/source/SRPMS/ (also read post 20 when doing this)
    which direktory names? and to what?

to which folder to download the kernel? and where to extract the file (or should I do that anyway?)

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by vratnica
    Helllo!
    I m just new to fedora and I ve tried to compile the kernel as it is shown in this howto, but i dont understand following lines:

which direktory names? and to what?

to which folder to download the kernel? and where to extract the file (or should I do that anyway?)

thank you
    In the howto, the example commands are done with a specific kernel(version). So you need to change those to this kernel's name in order to let them work.

vratnica Guest
    I downloaded the kernel and copied it into /root

after command

HTML Code:
    rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.20-1.3045.fc7.src.rpm
    I got:

HTML Code:
     1:kernel                 warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root
    warning: group brewbuilder does not exist - using root
    warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root
    ...and so on a lot of times..

then

HTML Code:
    ########################################### [100%]
    again..

then by command

HTML Code:
    rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 /root/rpmbuild/SPECS/kernel-2.6.spec
    I got:

HTML Code:
    drivers/net/fec_mpc52xx/Kconfig:14:warning: leading whitespace ignored
    drivers/net/fec_mpc52xx/Kconfig:7:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'FEC_MPC52xx' refer to undefined symbol 'PPC_BESTCOMM'
    .config:350:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO
    .config:381:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol IDEDMA_AUTO
    .config:1215:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol RT2400PCI_DEBUG
    .config:1217:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol RT2500PCI_DEBUG
    .config:1219:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol RT61PCI_DEBUG
    .config:1221:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol RT2500USB_DEBUG
    .config:1223:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol RT73USB_DEBUG
    .config:1252:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol NET_WIRELESS
    .config:1253:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol NET_WIRELESS_RTNETLINK
    .config:2875:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol TUX
    .config:2876:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol TUX_EXTCGI
    .config:2877:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol TUX_EXTENDED_LOG
    .config:2878:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol TUX_DEBUG
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-PAE-debug.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    + make ARCH=i386 nonint_oldconfig
    drivers/net/fec_mpc52xx/Kconfig:7:warning: 'select' used by config symbol 'FEC_MPC52xx' refer to undefined symbol 'PPC_BESTCOMM'
    [B] (...ant than like upthere..)[/B]
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-PAE.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    (and than like upthere again...)
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-debug.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    [B](and than like upthere again...)[/B]
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-xen.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    .config:1253:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol NET_WIRELESS_RTNETLINK
    .config:3343:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND
    .config:3344:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_FE_DEBUG
    .config:3345:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN
    .config:3346:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION
    .config:3347:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST
    .config:3348:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_UNPRIVILEGED_GUEST
    .config:3349:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PRIVCMD
    .config:3350:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_XENBUS_DEV
    .config:3351:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BACKEND
    .config:3352:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3353:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BLKDEV_TAP
    .config:3354:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3355:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_PIPELINED_TRANSMITTER
    .config:3356:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_LOOPBACK
    .config:3357:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3358:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI
    .config:3359:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_PASS
    .config:3360:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BE_DEBUG
    .config:3361:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3362:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND
    .config:3363:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND
    .config:3364:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_FRAMEBUFFER
    .config:3365:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_KEYBOARD
    .config:3366:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SCRUB_PAGES
    .config:3367:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL
    .config:3368:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SYSFS
    .config:3369:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_COMPAT_030002_AND_LATER
    .config:3370:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_COMPAT_LATEST_ONLY
    .config:3371:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_COMPAT_030002
    .config:3372:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol HAVE_ARCH_ALLOC_SKB
    .config:3373:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB
    .config:3374:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol HAVE_IRQ_IGNORE_UNHANDLED
    .config:3375:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol NO_IDLE_HZ
    .config:3376:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_UTIL
    .config:3377:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BALLOON
    .config:3378:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_DEVMEM
    .config:3379:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SKBUFF
    .config:3380:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_REBOOT
    .config:3381:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SMPBOOT
    .config:3383:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol X86_XEN
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    [B](..and than like upthere again..)[/B]
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + perl -p -i -e 's/^SUBLEVEL.*/SUBLEVEL = 20/' Makefile
    + perl -p -i -e 's/^EXTRAVERSION.*/EXTRAVERSION = -prep/' Makefile
    + find . '(' -name '*.orig' -o -name '*~' ')' -exec rm -f '{}' ';'
    + cd ..
    + '[' '!' -d sparse-0.2 ']'
    + cd /root/rpmbuild/BUILD
    + cd kernel-2.6.20
    + /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/sparse-0.2.tar.bz2
    + tar -xf -
    + STATUS=0
    + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
    ++ /usr/bin/id -u
    + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
    + /bin/chown -Rhf root .
    ++ /usr/bin/id -u
    + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
    + /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
    + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
    + exit 0
    I am not sure if I should go any further with it

1:kernel warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root
    warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root[/HTML]

This output is in the manual, it says you should ignore it. It has something to do with building the kernel in a secure environment with PGP keys and stuff. It's nothing to be worried about.

HTML Code:
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-PAE-debug.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    [B] (...ant than like upthere..)[/B]
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-PAE.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    (and than like upthere again...)
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-debug.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    [B](and than like upthere again...)[/B]
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686-xen.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    .config:3343:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND
    .config:3344:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_FE_DEBUG
    .config:3345:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN
    .config:3346:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_INTERFACE_VERSION
    .config:3347:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST
    .config:3348:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_UNPRIVILEGED_GUEST
    .config:3349:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PRIVCMD
    .config:3350:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_XENBUS_DEV
    .config:3351:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BACKEND
    .config:3352:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3353:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BLKDEV_TAP
    .config:3354:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3355:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_PIPELINED_TRANSMITTER
    .config:3356:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_LOOPBACK
    .config:3357:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3358:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI
    .config:3359:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_PASS
    .config:3360:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_PCIDEV_BE_DEBUG
    .config:3361:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_TPMDEV_BACKEND
    .config:3362:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND
    .config:3363:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND
    .config:3364:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_FRAMEBUFFER
    .config:3365:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_KEYBOARD
    .config:3366:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SCRUB_PAGES
    .config:3367:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_DISABLE_SERIAL
    .config:3368:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SYSFS
    .config:3369:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_COMPAT_030002_AND_LATER
    .config:3370:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_COMPAT_LATEST_ONLY
    .config:3371:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_COMPAT_030002
    .config:3372:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol HAVE_ARCH_ALLOC_SKB
    .config:3373:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB
    .config:3374:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol HAVE_IRQ_IGNORE_UNHANDLED
    .config:3375:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol NO_IDLE_HZ
    .config:3376:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_UTIL
    .config:3377:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_BALLOON
    .config:3378:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_DEVMEM
    .config:3379:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SKBUFF
    .config:3380:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_REBOOT
    .config:3381:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol XEN_SMPBOOT
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + for i in '*.config'
    + mv kernel-2.6.20-i686.config .config
    ++ head -1 .config
    ++ cut -b 3-
    + Arch=i386
    [B](..and than like upthere again..)[/B]
    + echo '# i386'
    + cat .config
    + perl -p -i -e 's/^SUBLEVEL.*/SUBLEVEL = 20/' Makefile
    + perl -p -i -e 's/^EXTRAVERSION.*/EXTRAVERSION = -prep/' Makefile
    + find . '(' -name '*.orig' -o -name '*~' ')' -exec rm -f '{}' ';'
    + cd ..
    + '[' '!' -d sparse-0.2 ']'
    + cd /root/rpmbuild/BUILD
    + cd kernel-2.6.20
    + /usr/bin/bzip2 -dc /root/rpmbuild/SOURCES/sparse-0.2.tar.bz2
    + tar -xf -
    + STATUS=0
    + '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
    ++ /usr/bin/id -u
    + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
    + /bin/chown -Rhf root .
    ++ /usr/bin/id -u
    + '[' 0 = 0 ']'
    + /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
    + /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
    + exit 0
    I am not sure if I should go any further with it[/QUOTE]

means that the old .config has the symbol that is not recognized in newer/older versions of the kernelbuild. It is a WARNING which means it's not an error. It's just something irregular that can be left away.

And for this:

Everyone has those. I have them too, never had a problem. Besides the program that builds the kernel is really strict. If an error is encountered it shuts down properly. If your kernel builds, then there are no errors.

In other words, if the build doesn't break, then your kernel is build properly.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast