FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Image Transition Effects

I am trying to disable one of the transition effects for images, you know, the ones that cause a picture to turn into dots while another one bleeds through, or one to be wiped off the screen while the other gets wiped on, etc.

I don't know whether these effects are built into kde or whether they are just general linux programs, but they seem to be used by a number of programs and seem very basic to linux in general.

I am using beryl and I use kde with the kscreensaver set to the kslideshow. This works fine, except that beryl cannot handle one of the random image transitions, the one that causes a picture to develop holes and the new image to appear pixel-by-pixel behind the first. When this particular transition is used, the screensaver hangs. There is no way to turn off selected transitions. I have hunted the system and google, trying to find out where these transitions are located, so that I could just disable the offending one (likely called 'dissolve' or maybe 'pixeldissolve', I suspect).

Does anyone have a clue about this? This has been plaguing me for weeks and has prevented me from using beryl as my default window manager.

Maybe not the solution you want but if it were me I would just remove kscreensaver and all it's add-ons and install xscreenaver with all it's add-ons. I don't use KDE so I don't know but xscreensaver seems to offer a lot more configuration options.

interim solution

I am no longer enamoured with xscreensaver. I used to use it a lot, but since fedora has put it into extras and would seem to be phasing it out, I have done so, too.

What I have done is to disable the kde screensaver and make a .desktop file for gnome-screensaver, which I put into my Autostart directory. Gnome's slideshow screensaver is very basic and not as advanced as kde's, hence it does not support transition effects - it simply displays one image after the other, provided you link /home/xxx/Picture to the location of your images and image subdirectories. This has worked.

As for Beryl, well, perhaps it is a bit too early yet to use it as a full-time replacement for kwin, but it is fun to watch the effects now and again.

However, if anyone does know how to selectively disable an image transition effect, I would appreciate the help. I do like the transitions and would prefer to return to the kde screensaver.

I don't think they're phasing xscreensaver out, seems more like KDE and Gnome are just integrating it into their environments upstream. I rarely use KDE so I can't really speak to that but I know the Gnome one is poorly implented and pretty weak with all of the configuration options stripped out of xscreensaver. But it is pretty new so it should get better and better.
    I could be wrong about that but seems to me like these are just Gnome and KDE specific front ends for xscreensaver anyways.

Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    $ xscreensaver-demo
    Then you can access the documentation and settings and see what
    can be changed.