Formatted Hard Drive/New Install
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy Formatted Hard Drive/New Install

I am a new user, and I am having the hardest time figuring out how to install FC6.

The computer I am using is one that my brother and I built for my father last christmas and he never used it. The hard drive originally had a bad version of Windows XP on it. We put it into another computer, running Windows XP, as a slave drive and opened the command line prompt and typed format d:

As far as we could tell it formatted just fine. At least it told us it did. But, now I have it back in the original computer and it's stuck at Verifying DMI Pool Data.

Of all the problems that my brother and I have dealt with before, neither of us have seen this. It won't even get through that, so I can't install Fedora. If somebody can tell me how to correct this and put FC6 on, I would be very grateful.

Seve is offline Retired Community Manager
    Hello:
    Can you get into the board's BIOS ?
    If so, change / enable to setup or failsafe defaults, save, exit and try to reboot from the CD.
    If this does not work, then reset the BIOS ... [with the power disconnected] there should be a jumper on the motherboard. If you can't find the jumper, pull the CMOS battery out for 10 minutes or so. Then pop int back int and give it a whirl again

Seve
    Registered Linux User: #384977
    .................................................. ............
    See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)

Ok, I got into the BIOS settings and got it to boot from the CD. Now it's picking up the CD, but it's not booting it. It's just giving me about 3 screens of DOS info and then it prompts the A: drive. These are simple CD isos I'm trying to use; what does it want from the A: drive.

Did you burn theses CD's yourself?

If you did,

Make sure you burned the IMAGE (ISO) to the CD, not just the file. This makes the CD boot-able.

I'm not sure I did that. I used Nero to burn the CD's, and I burned them as a data disc. I'll probably have to make new CD's.

For future reference, how do I burn them correctly????? I know I can't use the Windows burn utility.

Seve is offline Retired Community Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by New Fedora User
    I'm not sure I did that. I used Nero to burn the CD's, and I burned them as a data disc. I'll probably have to make new CD's.

For future reference, how do I burn them correctly????? I know I can't use the Windows burn utility.
    Hello:
    Yes, you will have to burn the discs again as iso images.
    You can find some instructions here: http://thales.memphis.edu/pub/fedora...ISOS-en_US.txt

Seve
    Registered Linux User: #384977
    .................................................. ............
    See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)

Well, back to the old drawing board. LOL

What can I say? I guess I gotta start somewhere. Thanks for your help; I get the feeling I'm going to become a regular visitor here.