Problem with configure Lan when server is on windows 98
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Caspermklo Guest

Problem with configure Lan when server is on windows 98

On the beginning I'm apologize for my bad grammar. I don't know english so well because I'm from Poland. Few days ago I installed Fedora Core 1. Everything is good expect network. I'm using LAN. Server is on Windows 98 and it is the major problem. I'm using redhat-config-network to config my network. I used ethernet connection. I configured it and it can't activate with server DHCP. WHen I chose static IP, the ethernet is activate. DNS not work. We using in this network name of workgroup to configure internet connection while I'm using Windows. I don't know what to do and how I could install internet connection using LAN connection. I don't know linux so well, so probobly somebody could help me writing word by word. I will be thankful for any help or/and answer.

Jman Guest
    What kind of server is the Win 98 machine? How do you connect to the network? Internet connection sharing?

redhat-config-network is a good place to start. If you can find your DNS information from the Win 98 computer or ISP, you can enter those servers on the DNS tab of redhat-config-network. Try entering the IP number of the Win 98 computer if it has Internet connection sharing.

The main question is how does the Win 98 computer connect to the Internet.

ieatlint Guest
    Safe bet he's using ICS.

OK, you got it working with a static IP but DNS didn't work. That's because you didn't configure the DNS servers, which, as Jman said, can be entered in redhat-config-network on the DNS tab.

The values you want to enter can be found on the Win 98 box by...
    Start Menu -> Run
    Type in "winipcfg" and press enter.
    That program will contain at least 1 DNS server, likely 2 servers. Copy them (preferably in order) to the Linux machine.

OR

You can else enter them manually into:
    /etc/resolv.conf
    with the syntax:
    nameserver 1.2.3.4